• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereophile---2 in a row without measurements

mansr

Major Contributor
So the marker is doing something.
That is extremely doubtful. Most of the laser light is reflected back into the detector. Only a small amount is scattered, and hardly any of that will strike the edge of the disc. Out of this already minuscule amount of light, the fraction that would then go on to reach the photodetector if not absorbed by the green paint is smaller still. It's nothing compared to the contrast between high and low levels of directly reflected light from the disc.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Although I don't believe in the "sonic" benefit of the green markers, I did have one CD which mistracked at a certain point on my Phillips CD player. I applied the green marker and it didn't mistrack anymore. So the marker is doing something.
My experience with discs was not obvious. I had some that were pretty scratched up which played fine. Others that looked OK that had errors.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
That is extremely doubtful.
It was kind of a yes / no, works / doesn't work type of thing. I guess if I could go back in time I could wash the green stuff off and try to play it again on that long-gone Philips player, but I was more interested in playing the music that in scientific method at that time.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Vantablack :p

EDIT: Here's the 2020 solution: Audio Desk Systeme CD Improver :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
For 899€ I have a much better improvement ...
Buy other CD's or another media ...
Really - sometimes I feel some companies very courageous to spend huge money & investments in product development aso and hope a huge ROI ...
But after all, maybe I'm wrong and there are even more people who buy such a tool.

mansr

Major Contributor
It was kind of a yes / no, works / doesn't work type of thing. I guess if I could go back in time I could wash the green stuff off and try to play it again on that long-gone Philips player, but I was more interested in playing the music that in scientific method at that time.
It is far more likely that you removed a smudge from the disc while applying the green paint.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
It is far more likely that you removed a smudge from the disc while applying the green paint.
or maybe I sneezed on the disc when I was putting the green paint on and the act of sneezing blew away the crud. That's the only scientific explanation. By the way I never touch the playing surfaces of my CDs.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
They all say that .... UV light will tell the truth.
My UV light is currently unavailable because its up one of my body cavities to protect me from COVID. :oops:

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert

I wasn't aware the green pens claimed to fix skipping a pathological failure to track which could easily be corroborated and I recall nothing about this ever mentioned at the time. The conversations were all concerned with the error correction and interpolation something for a good argument.

I was one of those, "Did you ever try it?", "NO".

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I wasn't aware the green pens claimed to fix skipping a pathological failure to track which could easily be corroborated and I recall nothing about this ever mentioned at the time. The conversations were all concerned with the error correction and interpolation something for a good argument.

I was one of those, "Did you ever try it?", "NO".
I don't think they ever claimed to repair a skipping CD. For what it's worth I believe the skip was near the outer edge of the CD. That player eventually stopped playing CDs all together so it could have been an edge case where the laser mechanism was iffy.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Although I don't believe in the "sonic" benefit of the green markers, I did have one CD which mistracked at a certain point on my Phillips CD player. I applied the green marker and it didn't mistrack anymore. So the marker is doing something.
That's interesting -- hard to control for experimentally, though ;)

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
That's interesting -- hard to control for experimentally, though ;)
Wasn't experimenting, just what happened. The CD had that familiar "tick" sound at the same part of the track on every play. Did the green marker stuff, not to cure that problem but because a friend brought one over and suggested I try it. IRRC, I didn't hear any sonic change but the skip was gone and stayed gone. I don't have the CD player anymore nor the CD. Some things just have to remain mysteries, like UFOs.

mansr

Major Contributor
Wasn't experimenting, just what happened. The CD had that familiar "tick" sound at the same part of the track on every play. Did the green marker stuff, not to cure that problem but because a friend brought one over and suggested I try it. IRRC, I didn't hear any sonic change but the skip was gone and stayed gone. I don't have the CD player anymore nor the CD. Some things just have to remain mysteries, like UFOs.
The obvious explanation is that in handling the CD to apply the green paint, you inadvertently removed a speck of dirt that was causing the read error. Did you ever try simply cleaning the disc to fix that problem?

OP
Robin L

Robin L

Master Contributor
The obvious explanation is that in handling the CD to apply the green paint, you inadvertently removed a speck of dirt that was causing the read error. Did you ever try simply cleaning the disc to fix that problem?
These do work [sometimes]:
dgscdr.jpg

Buffs some scratches out. I attempted to get the glitches out of:

s-l640.jpg

a DVD audio with video that glitches up when attempting the DVD Audio layer because there's just too much going on. The buffing machine did no good. Turns out the regular DVD layer, with a Dolby Surround mix, plays just fine.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for reminding me that I had a box with lots of old stuff somewhere ...
Bedini CD clarifier.jpg

Top Bottom