• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stand alone audio interface

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Pretty much in line with the Allen & Heath and Yamaha I suggested above (most likely both those have slightly better preamps) and absolutely no match in terms of preamps to a good interface like the Arturia above or a RME or Motu.
How do you know the quality of those mixers in order to be able to use words like “absolutely?” May I ask you to share those tests with us?

Meanwhile, the RME units you suggested costs 4-5x times the Mackie and supports up to 60 inputs while the OP needs just two. Do you think it is good advise?

Last edited:

digitallysane

How do you know the quality of those mixers in order to be able to use words like “absolutely?” May I ask you to share those tests with us?
The one saying "it's hard to beat a Mackie" was you, so it would be you the one that has to justify that bogus remark.
It's not hard, btw, and that doesn't mean the Mackie is not a perfectly fine mixer for the price.
It just means people like you should refrain from pointing at it as being the obvious choice when in fact in that segment and that price there are quite a number of good options. Among those, the Mackie is what's usually expected from Mackie: nice and dependable, but not best-in-class.

And if the OP decides to slipt it between an interfaceand a mixer, it would be better to get a higher quality mixer without an USB interface.

Meanwhile, the RME units you suggested costs 4-5x times the Mackie and supports up to 60 inputs while the OP needs just two. Do you think it is good advise?

Take your time to read the thread before coming out with dumb stuff like this.
The question of price was already discussed and the OP needs MIDI ports anyway.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The one saying "it's hard to beat a Mackie" was you, so it would be you the one that has to justify that bogus remark.
It's not hard, btw, and that doesn't mean the Mackie is not a perfectly fine mixer for the price.
It just means people like you should refrain from pointing at it as being the obvious choice when in fact in that segment and that price there are quite a number of good options. Among those, the Mackie is what's usually expected from Mackie: nice and dependable, but not best-in-class.

And if the OP decides to slipt it between an interfaceand a mixer, it would be better to get a higher quality mixer without an USB interface.

Take your time to read the thread before coming out with dumb stuff like this.
The question of price was already discussed and the OP needs MIDI ports anyway.
There’s no point communicating with a rude person like you. Phrases like dumb stuff and bogus remark while you have no idea whom you are talking with, hence what the other person’s knowledge could be.

Bye.

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There’s no point communicating with a rude person like you. Phrases like dumb stuff and bogus remark while you have no idea whom you are talking with, hence what the other person’s knowledge could be.

Bye.
They're probably a bogus account. As I've pointed out across multiple forums that I am on, these new users with few posts seem to be argumentative. It generally ends up with them swearing and rage quitting or with them being deleted/banned. I'm guessing this is just another bogus account.

Trell

Major Contributor
They're probably a bogus account. As I've pointed out across multiple forums that I am on, these new users with few posts seem to be argumentative. It generally ends up with them swearing and rage quitting or with them being deleted/banned. I'm guessing this is just another bogus account.

Before you wrote that you could have checked when he became member and his posting history. :facepalm:

OP
G

guidocir

The Arturia AudioFuse is a bit more expensive but does what you need. https://www.arturia.com/products/audio/audiofuse/overview

It does need initial setup from the computer, after that it'll remebebr the last config used, in standalone mode (you can download the manual and check).

While I do agree with the idea of using a mixer for monitoring and a separate interface for recording, I really don't think there's anything special about that mixer. Pretty much in line with the Allen & Heath and Yamaha I suggested above (most likely both those have slightly better preamps) and absolutely no match in terms of preamps to a good interface like the Arturia above or a RME or Motu.
What do you think about ESI U86XT audio interface? It seems that can work in standalone mode, but I can't understand if it needs to be configured via computer every time I need it....

Last edited:

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
audio interfaces that work in stand alone without setting them through computer
Yes. Most of them do.
Some are easier to set up and use than others, though.

Given your budget, I'd have a look at the Motu Ultralite Mk 5.
I've been using its ancestor Motu 828 mk III (Firewire) in standalone mode, and, although not that straightforward -and certainly not fast- I'm confident you may use it this way.

Last edited:

artburda

Maybe a Motu M4? It can work standalone and you can send the inputs, either inputs 1/2 or 3/4, to outputs 1/2. It has midi, too.

OP
G

guidocir

Maybe a Motu M4? It can work standalone and you can send the inputs, either inputs 1/2 or 3/4, to outputs 1/2. It has midi, too.
The issue for most interfaces is that standalone mode cannot be set without using the software configurator...I would like to switch from standalone to "computer mode" and back not via software

dasdoing

Major Contributor
1689070187495.png

artburda

The issue for most interfaces is that standalone mode cannot be set without using the software configurator...I would like to switch from standalone to "computer mode" and back not via software
Where did you get the info that you need software for that?

artburda

A lot of interfaces need that...for example the Focussrite...
I was talking about the Motu M4. With the M4 you don‘t need any software. With the monitoring buttons you can route input 1/2 either as mono channels both to output 1/2 or route input 1 to output 1 and input 2 to output 2. However, Input 3 can only be routed to output 1 and input 4 to output 2 in standalone operation without a daw.

OP
G

guidocir

to change the routing, yes. but once set you can simply use the direct monitor button. I don't see a reason why this isn't possible
Yes, but what I need to do if I have to switch to computer again?

Trell

Major Contributor
The question is: does direct monitoring work if the audio interface is off?

It must have power, if that's what you mean, and since the device is powered by USB connected to the PC that might mean that you've to turn on the PC to get power or switch USB cable at the back.

My MOTU M2 (assuming M4 is similar) has a separate power button so it will stay on as long as the PC can give power in sleep mode.

OP
G

guidocir

It must have power, if that's what you mean, and since the device is powered by USB connected to the PC that might mean that you've to turn on the PC to get power or switch USB cable at the back.

My MOTU M2 (assuming M4 is similar) has a separate power button so it will stay on as long as the PC can give power in sleep mode.
Sorry I was meaning: does direct monitoring work if audio interface is not connected to PC/MAC but, of course, is powered with external power supply?

Top Bottom