• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stand alone audio interface

guidocir

Hello,
nice to meet you I am new to this forum!
I would like to understand if there exists audio interfaces that work in stand alone without setting them through computer (like the Focussrite Scarlett).
In fact, I would like sometimes to play my synths without:
- turning on the computer to enable the audio interface
- setting every time the audio interface to work in stand alone mode

Is it possible?
Many thanks!
Guido :)

Trell

Major Contributor
You want the audio interface to go into standalone mode automatically if not connected to USB?

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
If I understand you correctly, you are looking for an audio interface with analogue inputs for instruments that can be powered not only via USB for direct monitoring?
I think something like the Tascam US-2xHR should do it.

Krusty09

Forum Donor
Hey ,

Not to high jack but was wondering if anyone knows if a motu 2x2 interface would be able to take in line level audio and playback different line level audio at the same time?

Thanks

digitallysane

I would like to understand if there exists audio interfaces that work in stand alone without setting them through computer (like the Focussrite Scarlett).

Is it possible?
Many thanks!
Yes, there are lots of interfaces that work in standalone mode, some with limitations, other with full blown abilities.
The RME FireFace UCX II or the UFX range (II and III) cand do everything you want in standalone mode and can even have saved routing presets in its internal memory to quickly change configs without spending too much time within the menus.
RME Babyface Pro (fs) also can work in standalone mode but doesn't have internal memory.

Motu Ultralite Mk5 does it too, as well as the Arturia AudioFuse Studio and also some Steinberg interfaces.

IMO the most convenient solution for your application is to have a mixer with an audio interface built in.
In standalone mode it's just a mixer and with the computer started it can also be an audio interface. Lots of hands on controls and convenience.
I have an Allen & Heath ZEDi 10 in my studio in this role, and a Yamaha AG06 at home.

Trell

Major Contributor
Hey ,

Not to high jack but was wondering if anyone knows if a motu 2x2 interface would be able to take in line level audio and playback different line level audio at the same time?

Thanks

This is a thread hi-jack. Please create your own thread.

Trell

Major Contributor
The RME FireFace UCX II or the UFX range (II and III) cand do everything you want in standalone mode and can even have saved routing presets in its internal memory to quickly change configs without spending too much time within the menus.

You can even record to a USB memory stick at the same time.

OP
G

guidocir

Yes, there are lots of interfaces that work in standalone mode, some with limitations, other with full blown abilities.
RME Babyface Pro (fs) also can work in standalone mode but doesn't have internal memory.

Motu Ultralite Mk5 does it too, as well as the Arturia AudioFuse Studio and also some Steinberg interfaces.

IMO the most convenient solution for your application is to have a mixer with an audio interface built in.
In standalone mode it's just a mixer and with the computer started it can also be an audio interface. Lots of hands on controls and convenience.
I have an Allen & Heath ZEDi 10 in my studio in this role, and a Yamaha AG06 at home.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Allen & Heath ZEDi 10 and Yamaha AG06 are nice, but it seems that they have not MIDI I/O ports...

digitallysane

Thanks for your suggestions.
Allen & Heath ZEDi 10 and Yamaha AG06 are nice, but it seems that they have not MIDI I/O ports...
They don't indeed. The thing with mixers w. interfaces is that they give you all those knobs and faders to tweak your monitoring quickly.

But a RME Fireface UCX II or UFX II or III is a fullblown digital mixer anyway (they have the TotalMix thing embedded that offers full mixing abilities), much more powerful than an analog mixer.
You can also get a remote (RME Arc Remote) for them, which would be very handy in stand alone operation.

OP
G

guidocir

They don't indeed. The thing with mixers w. interfaces is that they give you all those knobs and faders to tweak your monitoring quickly.

But a RME Fireface UCX II or UFX II or III is a fullblown digital mixer anyway (they have the TotalMix thing embedded that offers full mixing abilities), much more powerful than an analog mixer.
You can also get a remote (RME Arc Remote) for them, which would be very handy in stand alone operation.
Ok but in that case I prefer to save some money and buy for example a Tascam Model 12.
It's unusual that a simple analogue mixer with USB interface couldn't have a Midi I/O port, while a simple audio interface couldn't have a smart stand alone mode at an affordable price.... :(

dasdoing

Major Contributor
while a simple audio interface couldn't have a smart stand alone mode at an affordable price.

it's because even the simple ones are all digital now. there is no direct chain between analog ins and outs possible.
this was my first ever interface

oskpcgi7ahnpavr5y2wg.jpg

stand-alone mode is as simple as it gets, via switches
it doesn't have a volume knob though

digitallysane

Ok but in that case I prefer to save some money and buy for example a Tascam Model 12.
You know your needs, you make your decisions.
The Tascam has the nice knobs and sliders, but in terms of features and performance is way below a RME or other good audio interface. Just for a start, it does max 48Khz (despite its appearance, the Model 12 is and entry level digital mixer).

It's unusual that a simple analogue mixer with USB interface couldn't have a Midi I/O port, while a simple audio interface couldn't have a smart stand alone mode at an affordable price.... :(
I find it quite normal when it comes to mixers. Those are analogue mixers, best used for monitoring purposes or simple live mixing setups. As a bonus, you have a simple USB audio interface to be able to mix the computer in or to bring the whole mix into the computer, and that's it. MIDI is a completely additional digital circuit that makes more sense for an audio interface.

Can you define affordable price?
Still, as pointed to you already, interfaces are digital devices.
To be able to do standalone stuff, they need to have a firmware able to deal with standalone operation. That requires more expensive chips and more development time. So being reserved for 500+USD/EUR devices kind of makes sense.

OP
G

guidocir

You know your needs, you make your decisions.
The Tascam has the nice knobs and sliders, but in terms of features and performance is way below a RME or other good audio interface. Just for a start, it does max 48Khz (despite its appearance, the Model 12 is and entry level digital mixer).

I find it quite normal when it comes to mixers. Those are analogue mixers, best used for monitoring purposes or simple live mixing setups. As a bonus, you have a simple USB audio interface to be able to mix the computer in or to bring the whole mix into the computer, and that's it. MIDI is a completely additional digital circuit that makes more sense for an audio interface.

Can you define affordable price?
Still, as pointed to you already, interfaces are digital devices.
To be able to do standalone stuff, they need to have a firmware able to deal with standalone operation. That requires more expensive chips and more development time. So being reserved for 500+USD/EUR devices kind of makes sense.
Thanks for your exhaustive answers!
An affordable price for me could be 600 EUR or less (of course :D ) for a mixer with MIDI I/O ports or an audio interface with standalone capabilities (without the need to use a computer to set it all the times).

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,
nice to meet you I am new to this forum!
In fact, I would like sometimes to play my synths without:
- turning on the computer to enable the audio interface
- setting every time the audio interface to work in stand alone mode

Is it possible?
Many thanks!
The word interface means you connect at least two devices to each other. If you do not want to connect to a computer (it is turned off) what are the other devices that will be interfaced?

OP
G

guidocir

The word interface means you connect at least two devices to each other. If you do not want to connect to a computer (it is turned off) what are the other devices that will be interfaced?
I have 2 synths and a mic.
I would like sometimes to simply play synths without using the DAW (connecting them directly to monitors or headphone)
But sometimes I need to produce music in my DAW (Cubase).
I don't want everytime to turn on the computer and set the audio interface in stand alone mode (and back).
And if I use a mixer, I would like also to process MIDI signals coming from the synths.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have 2 synths and a mic.
I would like sometimes to simply play synths without using the DAW (connecting them directly to monitors or headphone)
But sometimes I need to produce music in my DAW (Cubase).
I don't want everytime to turn on the computer and set the audio interface in stand alone mode (and back).
And if I use a mixer, I would like also to process MIDI signals coming from the synths.
My suggestion is to use a separate mixer to handle the analogue signals and use the interface for only connecting to the computer. There are some hybrid devices that combine these two functions, but they are often expensive. Though, it’s hard to beat a hybrid Mackie mixer.

One benefit to this solution, other than flexibility, is you get better preamplifiers and better monitor section with a mixer.

digitallysane

Thanks for your exhaustive answers!
An affordable price for me could be 600 EUR or less (of course :D ) for a mixer with MIDI I/O ports or an audio interface with standalone capabilities (without the need to use a computer to set it all the times).
The Arturia AudioFuse is a bit more expensive but does what you need. https://www.arturia.com/products/audio/audiofuse/overview

It does need initial setup from the computer, after that it'll remebebr the last config used, in standalone mode (you can download the manual and check).

My suggestion is to use a separate mixer to handle the analogue signals and use the interface for only connecting to the computer. There are some hybrid devices that combine these two functions, but they are often expensive. Though, it’s hard to beat a hybrid Mackie mixer.

One benefit to this solution, other than flexibility, is you get better preamplifiers and better monitor section with a mixer.
While I do agree with the idea of using a mixer for monitoring and a separate interface for recording, I really don't think there's anything special about that mixer. Pretty much in line with the Allen & Heath and Yamaha I suggested above (most likely both those have slightly better preamps) and absolutely no match in terms of preamps to a good interface like the Arturia above or a RME or Motu.

Top Bottom