• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

playing piano on ipad.... dac or audio interface?

patumpf

hi everyone, beginner question here.....

I play a master keyboard via a midi adaptor (midi to usbC) using an ipad as synth source. I would like to improve sound quality sending the signal to my HIFI. To be able to utilize a headphone and charging the ipad while playing would be intresting plus. A solution that could be allow me to more broadly utilize the ipad as a souce for my hi fi with good sound quality would be greatly appreciated.

- Should I prefer a dedicated hifi DAC over a usb audio interface?
- if not, i am flashing on the steinberg UR22C - any better options? i am not at all intrested in recording, i am just loocking for the best possible playback.
- if yes, do you think it would be a solution to plug everything (the keyboard - throug the midi usb adapter- ipad and DAC) in to a powerd usb HUB? will ipad and keyboard still do see each other...? if yes, do you see a risk of too big latency? (the direct connection Ipad--keyboard via midi interface works just fine)

hope i have been clear..... many many thanks,
patumpf

Last edited:
OP
P

patumpf

Hi everyone,
i answer to my self... it may be useful for someone in the future.
I ended up choosing a topping D5X, a powered usb hub that charges the ipad and feeds it with midi data coming from the masterkeyboard (via a midi to usb adapter). Everything works out of the box like a charms, with no noticeable delay, devices are talking each other nicely ....... i m enjoyng playing it with my sehnheiser headphone.

happy!

Top Bottom