• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Newbie Acoustic Guitar player looking for Audio Interface ?

Bsmooth

Ok actually been playing off and on for years, but in order to improve I would like to record myself. Its actually a two pronged issue as the Mic plays a big part as well. Shure SM57 is probably one of the widest used mics, and I think Behringer makes a cheap copy as well. But I did hear that it like a good well driven preamp to work well with an acoustic guitar. Was looking at a Focusrite , but I've heard it doesn't do well with the Shure..
Considering my playing it probably doesn't make any difference at all. Right now I'm trying to use my Ipad using the Voice Recorder, and its OK. Also used the Garageband, but for simple recordings its a bit overdone for my taste. I've done my reading and know its best to point the mics(of any sort) towards the 12 and 14th fret and not directly into the sound hole.
I could get a USB mic but not sure If thats the way to go either.
If I go with an Audio interface I'll need ; Mic, Audio Interface, Mic stand, and cables.
I'm retired, so I don't have a huge budget. Suggestions and advice badly needed.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Take a look at Julian Krause on YouTube.

He has done extensive measurements on numerous audio interfaces, which are a much better foundation for purchasing decisions than random comments and claims online.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Pro studios use large diaphragm condensers for almost everything. (The SM57 is commonly used in front of an electric guitar cabinet or for a snare drum.)

The biggest difference in "sound quality" or "sound character" is frequency response and that can be tweaked with EQ. Antares (the makers of Auto-Tune) make "Mic Mod" that can make one mic sound like another (as long as they are both in their database).

Condenser mics tend to have more high-frequency output so they usually have a "crispier" sound than a dynamic mis like the SM57/58.

Was looking at a Focusrite , but I've heard it doesn't do well with the Shure.
Most interfaces are "optimized" for condenser mics which typically have about 20dB more output than a dynamic mic. Some people use a "Cloudlifter" (or similar) with a dynamic mic.

The room makes a difference, including the noise from the room, and since acoustic guitar is so dynamic (it goes from somewhat-loud to very-quiet) it's hard to get a good signal-to-noise ratio.

There is a myth that condenser mics pick-up more noise. That's true, but they also pick-up more signal so the higher sensitivity doesn't hurt the signal-to-noise ratio and after you adjust the amplification, there is no difference. The hotter signal from a condenser does better-overcome any electrical noise from the preamp (usually built-into the interface).

Right now I'm trying to use my Ipad using the Voice Recorder, and its OK.
The mic built into an iPad is probably good. The mic in most cell phones is good. The main issue is it's non-directional so it picks-up noise from all directions. And in some applications you can overload it (recording live rock music, etc.).

Also used the Garageband, but for simple recordings its a bit overdone for my taste.
I'm not sure what that means... You should be able to make a clean-simple recording with no effects, and no editing, if you wish.

I could get a USB mic but not sure If thats the way to go either.
They can be good and super-convenient. But make sure to get one with a recording-level control. You can only use one USB mic at a time, and they don't work with a mixer or PA system.

There are some USB "podcast mics" that have a headphone port for direct-hardware monitoring. Some interfaces also have direct-hardware monitoring. It avoids the latency (delay) that you get when monitoring through the computer, and if's a good feature to have if you want to monitor yourself and a backing tracking while recording. (It's not important if you're not monitoring yourself with headphones while recording.)

Jim Lill made a YouTube video - Tested: Where Does The Tone Come From In A Microphone? He's an electric guitar player he's very curious and open-minded and he does good-interesting experiments!

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Yes Julian Krause. Usually the cheapest ones from Focusrite or Motu will do an excellent job of hooking up a condenser mic (48V phantom power) plus even a pickup for a guitar. SINAD is usually plenty to be inaudible. Plus you often get the basic version of some DAW for recording, mixing and mastering.

OP
B

Bsmooth

Its just Garageband nds quite a bit of tweaking before you can record a track: Lengthen track first, otherwise its only 8 bars, stop the metronome,etc. With Voice Recorder just hit record and your off.
I listened to Julian Krause, and he agreed the Scarlet is a good starter audio interface. The M-Audio line is also recommended as well, not sure how it works with a Shure mic though. Reason I keep coming back to Dynamic mics is rejection of outside noise, which other mic types seem to have an issue with. There is a lot of random noise in my house, right next to the street, washing machines, radiators, goes on and on.

AlfaNovember

Something like the Samson G-Track Pro might suit you well. $140 for an all-in-one USB connected device, with switchable Cardioid / Omni condensor mic, onboard monitor for headphones, and a second channel for plugging in a guitar pickup. I don't have direct experience, so confirm that it works w/ ipad, etc., but at a glance it seems promising.

is the iPad the main device for running the recording software?

Edit to add: As a mediocre guitarist, I have an interface, an SM58 and a cheap Samson condensor. I wouldn't record myself with the SM58; It needs to be right up against the instrument / vocalist to work well. A condensor about 12" away from the 14th fret is a good starting place w/ acoustic git. And you may find finger noises to be highlighted by the mic - try ground half-flat strings.

Last edited:

Nutul

The Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 has some "songwriter bundle"; it consists of the interface itself + condenser mic + headphones + some DAW software / effects / plugins... you can be ready to go in half a day; and doesn't cost a kidney.

I got one as a gift / tool by our client when I was working on a music-collaboration software a couple of years ago, and TTYTT its quality is astonishing for the price.
I'd suggest you get the 3rd-gen (it's cheaper almost everywhere, now that the 4th-gen is out)

Julian Kreuser has covered all of them, from 2nd to 4th gen, so you may want to hear him.

Don't get the SOLO, as it has only one input...

OP
B

Bsmooth

I just watched the video for the Moto M2 and SSL 2 and both were excellent specs, more money but good. The Focusrite seems to be the best bang for the buck.
Is there a mic that does reject noises like Shure SM97 that has reasonable gain though. The Cardioid mics are great but they pick up everything.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I just watched the video for the Moto M2 and SSL 2 and both were excellent specs, more money but good. The Focusrite seems to be the best bang for the buck.
Is there a mic that does reject noises like Shure SM97 that has reasonable gain though. The Cardioid mics are great but they pick up everything.
I'd take a long hard look at the Earthworks SR117.

mixsit

Forum Donor
A few things to help out :>)
First of all DVDdoug is spot on here;
There is a myth that condenser mics pick-up more [room] noise. That's true, but they also pick-up more signal so the higher sensitivity doesn't hurt the signal-to-noise ratio and after you adjust the amplification [lower], there is no difference. The hotter signal from a condenser does better-overcome any electrical noise from the preamp (usually built-into the interface).
-The Shure sm57 is a cardioid mic. There's also some differences among 'cardioid mic's polar patterns -tightness/attenuation a various frequencies etc. (dynamic or condenser).
-Generally for ac guitar- consider a condenser -nicer sound, can be found with a low cut (tone and closer placement options).. Closer = better signal to noise.
-As to placement options/room noise.. Get some thick pads/blankets, to hang around you and your instrument. This is just how we make real gains in the noise' thing!
-You'll want to learn more of this -at various sites etc.
What's your location by the way?

Last edited:
OP
B

Bsmooth

I'm in MA, now thinking an SE Electronics V2 might be a better choice. Heard good things for the price.

Top Bottom