• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spotify to launch 'Hi-Fi' CD Quality Tier.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't see this comment when I made my earlier one: apologies.
No apology needed. Thank you for adding one more voice for explaining the reality.

Tom C

Major Contributor
To all who have supplied hard data, thank you. That has made for interesting reading.
It is easy to see streaming as a contemporary replacement for old style radio, except the listener now directly controls what is played. And the revenue streams would seem to work much the way radio used to. But streaming has also replaced purchased media to a large degree, which maybe, or maybe not, changes revenue streams in a different way. Maybe the artist makes more when a disc is sold, but makes the money only once, no matter how many times the disc is played. And there is music I stream that I wouldn’t bother to purchase, so there is that additional revenue that would not otherwise be realized.

spartaman64

Please read again. The figure is not about recommended music. It is about music the listener have chosen! You totally misunderstood the data.
yeah and im saying maybe people are more likely to only listen to their chosen music on spotify because their recommended music sucks. though i guess it doesnt explain amazon because in my experience its even worse.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
yeah and im saying maybe people are more likely to only listen to their chosen music on spotify because their recommended music sucks
Shouldn’t they have listened to their recommendations in order to decide that they suck?

spartaman64

Shouldn’t you first have listened to their recommendations in order to decide that they suck?
i did for all 3 though ive canceled my spotify subscription since i mostly use amazon HD for my playlists and i have yt music for free with my yt premium which i use that to discover new music.

edit: so you are saying the list is of people who only listen to music in one way and never use the other features. I thought it would be a percentage of usage

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Update: Appears imminent, the HiFi Lossless Supremium Music Pro DJ Remix Tier
Spotify can stick their "lossless" tier where the sun never shines.
They strung me out for a long time with their continued promises but never came thru.
Finally Apple came along with not only Hi Rez Lossless but Atmos and other spatial offerings for even less money.
ADIOS Spotify, don't let the door hit ya. :p

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If they will charge more for lossless than other streaming services then what's the point ?
They seem (if it happens) to be going down the lossless plus other features /services route. Doesn't convince me and likely not many others but it's a slight difference to others.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If they will charge more for lossless than other streaming services then what's the point ?
They have the biggest audience, market, content and name recognition, plus they in competition with Amazon and Apple.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
They have the biggest audience, market, content and name recognition, plus they in competition with Amazon and Apple.
If they're in competition , then they should charge as much as Amazon and Apple , I don't care about their other services just the lossless stuff

Top Bottom