• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spirits, what you drinking...

QMuse

Major Contributor
I managed to find black bush in a strip joint years ago , very rare indeed.

Frankly, I prefer Italian grappa and local home made "sliwowitza" (damson plums brandy) to any other high alcohol drinks.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Frankly, I prefer Italian grappa and local home made "sliwowitza" (damson plums brandy) to any other high alcohol drinks.
Yes on the sliwowitza ( old mama Polska would make something like this ) , grappa can be hit or miss for me . Often it's crap imo but iv had really nice ones I tend to gravitate towards the toffee colored ones if there's a choice .

QMuse

Major Contributor
Yes on the sliwowitza ( old mama Polska would make something like this )

Cool! :cool:

Often it's crap imo but iv had really nice ones I tend to gravitate towards the toffee colored ones if there's a choice .

Really nice ones are expensive, but IMO worth it. Toffeee colour should be coming from aging in oak barrels - only redestilled high quality stuff is kept there.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Quite new to really savouring whiskey, so I'm taking recommendations. For reference on my preferences and palate:

Dalwhinnie 15: too thin, liked the honeyed fruitiness but not enough of the cask.
Kavalan Sherry Oak: Too much cask action and the oak felt really raw. Plums were overpowering, but it was always meant as a sherry bomb
Nikka from the Barrel: Nice and creamy but not as amazing in texture as Craigellachie 17. I like the vanilla, but I also got barn hay or alfafa from it.
Nikka Taketsuru Pure Malt NAS (black label): On the high end of the amount of smokiness I like, nice espresso notes, but a lot of alcohol burn neat.
Craigellachie 17: My favourite yet. A funky Speyside with cardboard and tart grapes on the nose and bitter herbs in the finish (but tons of sweet richness everywhere also).

Someone on Reddit recommended me Springbank 12 cask strength, and I've read somewhere that a few Bunnahabains have floral peatiness, which really interests me. This, and other whiskeys I have tasted with less mindfulness (including Yamazaki 12 and Hibiki Harmony, as well as Maker's Mark and Jameson) previously have suggested that my preferences are inclined toward mild to moderately-toasty wood, baked fruits, honey, vanilla, a creamy mouthfeel, floral peat and some rich spices like cinnamon.

I have a lot of Kavalan Sherry Oak 46% to trade drams with as well, if anyone is interested. I got the 1 litre bottle for under 80 USD at the airport.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Quite new to really savouring whiskey, so I'm taking recommendations. For reference on my preferences and palate:

Dalwhinnie 15: too thin, liked the honeyed fruitiness but not enough of the cask.
Kavalan Sherry Oak: Too much cask action and the oak felt really raw. Plums were overpowering, but it was always meant as a sherry bomb
Nikka from the Barrel: Nice and creamy but not as amazing in texture as Craigellachie 17. I like the vanilla, but I also got barn hay or alfafa from it.
Nikka Taketsuru Pure Malt NAS (black label): On the high end of the amount of smokiness I like, nice espresso notes, but a lot of alcohol burn neat.
Craigellachie 17: My favourite yet. A funky Speyside with cardboard and tart grapes on the nose and bitter herbs in the finish (but tons of sweet richness everywhere also).

Someone on Reddit recommended me Springbank 12 cask strength, and I've read somewhere that a few Bunnahabains have floral peatiness, which really interests me. This, and other whiskeys I have tasted with less mindfulness (including Yamazaki 12 and Hibiki Harmony, as well as Maker's Mark and Jameson) previously have suggested that my preferences are inclined toward mild to moderately-toasty wood, baked fruits, honey, vanilla, a creamy mouthfeel, floral peat and some rich spices like cinnamon.

I have a lot of Kavalan Sherry Oak 46% to trade drams with as well, if anyone is interested. I got the 1 litre bottle for under 80 USD at the airport.
You probably will like that one I'm drinking then . Has a creamy mouth feel bit of spicy pepper too on the back end.

I'm up for some whiskey suggestions too.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You probably will like that one I'm drinking then . Has a creamy mouth feel bit of spicy pepper too on the back end.

I'm up for some whiskey suggestions too.

The Craigellachie 17 I just had had the most amazing creaminess that just gets even creamier as you hold it in the mouth. Not oily/waxy at all, which I dislike. However, the finish needs you to take some herbal bitterness at first before it opens up into grinded black pepper, lime, honey, light and airy petrichor, crushed sugared peanuts, dried cranberries, cinnamon and lighted cigar. Other than the finish and the funky cardboard on the nose (which I adore) it is typical, rich Speyside done well by a distillery that's really not frequently talked about.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 59229

Nose is dominated by plum - intense, concentrated, sour, preserved plum (something I ate a lot of growing up). So much its almost like umeshu, but extra mellow and oaky. Some cherrywood comes through after letting it sit. Several reviews say prunes and raisins. Not sure if I could detect them as anything more then softening the edge of the plums though, rather than distinct elements. Whiskey reviews are always stuffed full of verbiage.

Oily mouthfeel. I prefer "creamier" mouthfeels - Nikka from the Barrel comes to mind. The plums carry through to the palate - testament to the sherry influence. Very little smoke. Moderate amount of spice - chili spice, not alcohol burn. Not jalapeno spice. Distinctly closer to bird's eye chili spice (which I'm familiar with). A bit of cinnamon. Coffee fruit comes out after you let it sit for some time.

I don't think I had it at the right temperature, but I can see why Kavalan is where Nikka was a decade ago with the hype. Going to chuck it in the wine fridge (honestly still better than leaving it in a cabinet in such humid and hot conditions).

Next up is the Craigellachie 17 but second-guessing a bit after seeing several reviews prefer Craigellachie 13 and saying 17 is the odd-one-out of the line.

Poured another generous dram of this stuff. Added about 3-4 drops of water. Tamed the overpowering spice. Now I get some wet wood, seaweed and soy sauce at the end of the palate. Orange juice in the finish.

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Coming to the end of this , probably had it for a couple of years ...,

amrut-fusion-whisky.jpg

Not my favourite but given the desperate times iv mixed it with disaronno ..

I know I'm a slutty hedonistic drinker lol

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Whiskey sour with white of egg and bitters.
Keith

Top Bottom