• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spirits, what you drinking...

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The old boys' association of my secondary school bottled a cask of single-cask (ex-red wine), peated Croftengea at cask strength. Missed out on the bottling (it was expensive for 12 years), but an alumnus that runs a whiskey bar is now selling his remaining personal stock in sample drams. Bought a dram, can't wait for it to come.

For tonight, another very generous pour of the Craigellachie 17. I keep getting such funky notes out of it. A bit of ketchup on the finish this time. Absolutely no astringency even near the end of my pour. Can't go wrong with this unheralded distillery if you like an unpeated Speyside with a twist, but apparently the 13 and the 23 are much more straightforward Speyside, and the 17 is the odd one out with the vegetal and herbal and sulfuric (I swear I nose cardboard) stuff.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
A friend has invited me to visit his fine cellar to sample some Amontillado, but I'm hesitant to accept.

His name wasn't Fortunado by any chance? Every wine geek needs to see the Corman version with Peter Lorrie and Vincent Price.

Hugo9000

Addicted to Fun and Learning
His name wasn't Fortunado by any chance? Every wine geek needs to see the Corman version with Peter Lorrie and Vincent Price.
Fortunato is the ill-named friend (parental hubris, or his own in behaving badly due to counting upon his name being accurate? LOL) who accepted the invitation. Montresor was the host. I suppose in my joke I'd be an unnamed enemy of Montresor, since he didn't actually invite Luchresi (who was merely mentioned in order to lure Fortunato). I either had the sense not to be drunk at Carnival, or to be more aware of those I might have offended and thus more cautious. haha!

I loved short stories as a child, Poe and DuMaurier and Dahl wrote my favorites. I should read them again now that I'm getting in my dotage. :D Or if I wait a bit longer, I'll have forgotten more of them, making them fresh again haha!

Vincent Price and Peter Lorre were my favorite actors as a child, Price from the many horror films, and Lorre from his wonderful performance in Arsenic and Old Lace. I watched Mystery! on PBS largely because Price was the host. He could elevate any script into greatness, a marvelous and charismatic actor.

A800

h2mQLp5.jpg

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Talisker Storm was on sale, so...

Trouble Maker

A childhood friend had to cancel his 40th bash due to the covid lockdown. To cheer him up, and give us a little something unique to enjoy, I poured one shot each of 40 different scotches into a 64oz flask(made a bottle for myself as well) and dropped it off with a box of cigars. Ended up quite liking it, so I'm enjoying another glass this evening.

I really want to start an infinity rum and (separately) gin bottle.
https://www.google.com/search?&q=infinity+bottle

Trouble Maker

On the subject of cocktails, Youtube has been recommending me inappropriately sensual bartending videos. I never knew I wanted root beer bourbon so much.

Japan is super serious about good cocktail bars.
I've been dreaming of this cocktail since I first saw this video, years ago.
We went down to Nara, but I didn't have a chance to stop in. I'm planning to go there, basically to get this drink, while we are here.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Japan is super serious about good cocktail bars.
I've been dreaming of this cocktail since I first saw this video, years ago.
We went down to Nara, but I didn't have a chance to stop in. I'm planning to go there, basically to get this drink, while we are here.

Reminds of a mezcal-tequila Old Fashioned smoked in cherrywood I had in London, except the Japanese take seems much more elaborate.

Top Bottom