• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spirits, what you drinking...

digicidal

Major Contributor
Rarely drink, and when I do it's mostly a shot of Tito's for "medicinal purposes"... though I do like a JW Black Label every once in awhile.

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm guessing I'm grateful I don't know what Bankers Club is?

A rotgut brand of spirits, truly bottom shelf, like Vat69 blended scotch.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last thing I drank neat was Nikka's Taketsuru Pure Malt (black label, NAS). Doesn't work well neat, too much alcohol burn in the very one-dimensional finish. Have heard a few drops of water open it up real good though.

Just had an interesting variation of the Old Fashioned in Rome using Nikka From The Barrel and sake. The rice notes in the sake actually work really well to lift the very unctuous Nikka. I was surprised at how cohesive it was. Spilled a bit on my sleeve. Was a treat to smell it.

Still kicking myself for missing out on a private bottling of Croftengea 12 single malt (cask strength from a red wine cask) organised by my middle school (only for old boys of course)...

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I like to purchase the 1.14L bottles of Alberta Premium Rye. It's $34.00/bottle and it is made locally so the cost is kept down comparatively. I like to support local brewers and distillers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberta_Premium
1305.jpg

Dilliw

Last thing I drank neat was Nikka's Taketsuru Pure Malt (black label, NAS). Doesn't work well neat, too much alcohol burn in the very one-dimensional finish. Have heard a few drops of water open it up real good though.

Just had an interesting variation of the Old Fashioned in Rome using Nikka From The Barrel and sake. The rice notes in the sake actually work really well to lift the very unctuous Nikka. I was surprised at how cohesive it was. Spilled a bit on my sleeve. Was a treat to smell it.

Still kicking myself for missing out on a private bottling of Croftengea 12 single malt (cask strength from a red wine cask) organised by my middle school (only for old boys of course)...

I love the story of Nikka!

Winter is for bourbon but I have a couple of suggestions for summertime listening:

Prichard's Fine Rum from Kelso, TN. Very good on the rocks Jamaican style rum.

Berkshire Mountain Ethereal gin from Sheffield, MA. I use tonic but whatever floats your boat for this very floral gin.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
craigellachie-17-year-old-whisky.jpg

Bought a bottle of Craigellachie 17. Savoury on the palate with a slightly oily texture. Almost medicinal. Definitely funky. Middle-of-the-road body. Reviews I read after the fact say the nose has some tyre rubber, which comports with what I smelt but couldn't quite articulate.

Interesting enough (and rare enough back home) for me to buy a bottle to contrast the Glenlivet 18 I already have and really get to know it better.

Also, Kavalan Sherry Oak. Excited to finally try Taiwanese stuff.

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
image-asset.jpeg

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I like Nikki myself.
D8A03133-21D9-4D92-B9BC-F56EB517A0E7.jpeg

kokishin

Forum Donor
wildturkey101new175__04644__48754.1358534161.1280.1280.jpg

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1587207879691.png

Nose is dominated by plum - intense, concentrated, sour, preserved plum (something I ate a lot of growing up). So much its almost like umeshu, but extra mellow and oaky. Some cherrywood comes through after letting it sit. Several reviews say prunes and raisins. Not sure if I could detect them as anything more then softening the edge of the plums though, rather than distinct elements. Whiskey reviews are always stuffed full of verbiage.

Oily mouthfeel. I prefer "creamier" mouthfeels - Nikka from the Barrel comes to mind. The plums carry through to the palate - testament to the sherry influence. Very little smoke. Moderate amount of spice - chili spice, not alcohol burn. Not jalapeno spice. Distinctly closer to bird's eye chili spice (which I'm familiar with). A bit of cinnamon. Coffee fruit comes out after you let it sit for some time.

I don't think I had it at the right temperature, but I can see why Kavalan is where Nikka was a decade ago with the hype. Going to chuck it in the wine fridge (honestly still better than leaving it in a cabinet in such humid and hot conditions).

Next up is the Craigellachie 17 but second-guessing a bit after seeing several reviews prefer Craigellachie 13 and saying 17 is the odd-one-out of the line.

Last edited:

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just had another generous pour of the Kavalan after 2 days. Now I'm getting durian on the nose. Makes sense for the latitude. It's lovely in its own right, but does not cater to my soft spots, which I'm increasingly certain tends towards a creamy mouthfeel, baked fruits, honey, vanilla, gentle floral or herbal peat and smoky wood. I would definitely recommend anyone to try it and form their own opinions on it, especially if they can get it for a good price. I got the extra-large 1000ml/100cl bottle at the airport for under 80USD. I just wrote about it in my first whiskey review here (which also has quick takes on a couple of Nikkas and Dalwhinnie I had recently for reference):

https://www.reddit.com/r/worldwhisky/comments/g4mz7z/_/fnyen93

Top Bottom