• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spirits, what you drinking...

Raindog123

Major Contributor
View attachment 121032
I’ll try it one finger at a time.
Oh, the ways that could be misconstrued if quoted out of context

Probably the most innocent of them:

5D0BB228-6DF4-43F4-B4F9-AAFBF3A5C4C0.jpeg

Last edited:

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wish I fancied Scotch the way I fancy Irish Whiskey... :)

Love me some Irish. Had a great Cooley single cask last year I still think about (bottled for a local whiskey bar) - gorgeous tropical fruit, plum pudding and white chocolate.

photo_2021-04-10_22-15-54.jpg

For something totally different, just had some Japanese plum liqueur a local Japanese-run bar made themselves - stuff is off the menu and tucked away under the bar counter. The commercial stuff is so sickly-sweet it gives me a headache, but this has a wonderful aroma and the right amount of sweetness. Perfect on the rocks. They made a few versions with different base spirits (shochu, sake, brandy and Suntory whiskey) they steeped fresh Japanese plums in. Lots of wood, massive live-edge wood counter and big old JBLs playing in the background.

pads

Gin lover here, Dutch, English, but lately not far from where I live a small distillery opened up and have been producing some of the best I've ever had.
unnamed.jpg

David Harper

Here's something interesting that most people aren't aware of ; all Vodka is exactly the same. That's right; chemically there are only two molecules in vodka- H2o(water) and ethanol (alcohol). So the most expensive $50 a bottle premium vodka on the shelf is exactly the same as the cheapest $10 a bottle stuff on the shelf at Osco. The distillation process removes everything except water and alcohol. Doesn't matter what the source of the alcohol is. All that's left is pure ethyl alcohol. Those who claim to taste a difference in different vodkas are experiencing the same kind of delusion as those who claim to hear a difference in speaker wires. Placebo.

Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
has this been confirmed with a mass spec.??

mansr

Major Contributor
I'd expect to find varying levels of impurities in addition to water and ethanol. Whether any are present in sufficient concentration to impart a noticeable flavour is another question.

Reactions: Wes

threni

Major Contributor
I'd expect to find varying levels of impurities in addition to water and ethanol. Whether any are present in sufficient concentration to impart a noticeable flavour is another question.

Of course, it's entirely possible that there'll be a difference in taste which can't be measured objectively, as there are no technical tests for water memory, or cost...

TeBheag

A Small Island to the West of Mainland Europe
With a user name like mine you'd think it'd be malt whisky, but at the moment it's vodka

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
there are no technical tests for water memory ...

There are, however, taste tests of water from public utilities and contests thereof. Our drinking water (from mtn. springs in a conifer forest) routinely wins somewhere in the top 5. Our utility puts that in their newsletter.

Top Bottom