• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spirits, what you drinking...

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Here's something interesting that most people aren't aware of ; all Vodka is exactly the same. That's right; chemically there are only two molecules in vodka- H2o(water) and ethanol (alcohol). So the most expensive $50 a bottle premium vodka on the shelf is exactly the same as the cheapest $10 a bottle stuff on the shelf at Osco. The distillation process removes everything except water and alcohol. Doesn't matter what the source of the alcohol is. All that's left is pure ethyl alcohol. Those who claim to taste a difference in different vodkas are experiencing the same kind of delusion as those who claim to hear a difference in speaker wires. Placebo.
I have written about this (not here). There has been legit research on this and nobody seems able to pick their favorite vodka from a lineup.

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
514922F5-3653-48B4-B90D-61D899A8DD74.jpeg

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
I have written about this (not here). There has been legit research on this and nobody seems able to pick their favorite vodka from a lineup.

I have Stoli and Absolute taste quite different. In my stupid youth I was at a chef friend's caviar and frozen vodka tasting.(most of the caviars we had are now contraband) and I put down a $100 bill when given this challenge. I still maintain it was not a coin flip. ;)

Linus

Get a bottle of Kettle One (wheat), Belvedere (rye) and Chopin (potatoes). I’m pretty sure you’ll be able to find differences.
Vodka is made to have as less flavor as possible, but they do taste slightly different. There is still traces of impurities present after distillation (acetaldehyde, isoamyl alcohol, methanol, propanol ...) Additives like glycerol and citric acid are also legal in small quantities.
So yeah, they do taste different. They all don’t taste much, but in a different way.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Signatory's Imperial is one of the best!

Very, very good indeed. Something about the 1995 Imperials. Have heard nothing but good things about them, and I do think bottling them at 46% was the right choice. Seems like the wax would get overwhelming at cask strength. At 46% it has this gorgeous waxiness that gives way to the most floral whisky I've ever had. Cherry blossoms and all.

Since I'm here, just had a whisky flight a couple days back. It was bottled for a local bar - 10yo Tamnavulin, 12yo Craigellachie and 7yo Laphroaig single casks. All really funky. But I tried good rum for the first time (never really looked into it before). Some single cask rhum from Martinique the bartender recommended. Super fun - bubblegum, cantaloupe, roasted sweet soy sauce, raspberry, sandalwood and mint chocolate ice cream.

rhum.jpg

Attachments

• rhum.jpg
    rhum.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 74

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
@Alexanderc nice martini - Plymouth, Dolin, stirred with a twist is my recommendation as well although I use more vermouth if it's fresh. That said, I don't often drink the same martini twice. I don't believe in "the" perfect one, and I also don't remember the last bad one that I had. Mood, time of day, bottles/garnishes on hand... all lead to different martini builds. Currently:

2oz. Neversink Gin (uses an apple brandy base - strong character and great for lovers of eau-de-vie)
.5oz Comoz Vermouth Blanc (drier than other white vermouths, richer than dry vermouths)
couple dashes orange bitters
twist, rocks

cheers.

martini.jpg

OP
Soniclife

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just finished a bottle of this. When I first opened it my first thought was "this needs some DSP", which is a comment that says a lot about me, but unfortunately also for the whisky. I wondered if if grow to like it, I didn't. It's hard to describe what's wrong with it, there is a big malt flavour, but there is also a sort of hollowness, like the midrange is missing.
edrob.10yov1.jpg

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
I recently bought a bottle of rye I do not like. It makes a nice whiskey sour and a pretty good Manhattan though. I hope you finished that bottle by mixing it or sharing it. Life’s too short to drink scotch you don’t like.

OP
Soniclife

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I recently bought a bottle of rye I do not like. It makes a nice whiskey sour and a pretty good Manhattan though. I hope you finished that bottle by mixing it or sharing it. Life’s too short to drink scotch you don’t like.
I drank it all neat, and fairly quickly, it's oddness kept me coming back to try and work it out.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Buying a case of Hazelburn 10. Finally found a local wholesale source that doesn't have a hefty "Springbank tax".

Top Bottom