• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker Stand Costs, Safety, Features

OP
D

dped90

I wouldn’t seek those out. The metal poles are thin and flexy. They can barely support a mini standmount. I used them for KEF Q-Compact surrounds, and that was probably beyond their capabilities.
I was only referencing their concrete bases, not that they are anywhere near large and heavy enough. Again, what about sinking the base of this height adjustable stand https://www.amazon.com/Stands-M-26720-Monitor-Stand-Black-26720-000-55/dp/B0016ZQYOY?ref_=ast_sto_dp into a round ~ 5" high plastic mold filled with ~55 lbs of concrete?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Option 3 won't do. The prior option looks the most feasible but can't visualize a way to securely couple a ~ 50lb mass to, say, the bottom part of this pole. https://www.amazon.com/Stands-M-26720-Monitor-Stand-Black-26720-000-55/dp/B0016ZQYOY?ref_=ast_sto_dp

What do you think of my concrete mold idea?
Just slip this 45 lbs weight over the bottom pole. It is plain on the back side and dished almost perfect for this use. Really no need for secure attachment, but you could use screws if you wanted it that way.

1672109903068.png

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's bad enough when I drop the TV remote on the floor in my bedroom and the woman downstairs rings me to complain!
That's pretty bad. I did have management ask my wife and me to stop fighting and throwing things when I lived in an apartment. It was very confusing until we discovered that an old recliner had a spring that would make a loud twang when releasing was the real culprit.

OP
D

dped90

Just slip this 45 lbs weight over the bottom pole. It is plain on the back side and dished almost perfect for this use. Really no need for secure attachment, but you could use screws if you wanted it that way.

View attachment 252568
BINGO!!!! Now that's good engineering! I work out with weights almost every night; can't believe this one flew right past me. Maybe a 50 to 55 lb weight if available. But how lucky where that adjustable stand's pole is thin enough to pass through the weight's hole? They don't give the pole diameter here.

Also, how likely would that 100 lb or even 50 lb weight sitting on top of the legs of that base damage them?

Last edited:
OP
D

dped90

Standard weight bar is 2 inches. What's the diameter of the pole on the stands?
You mean standard bar diameter that fits through that hole in the weight is 2"? Again, that pdf doesn't give the pole's diameter. I'll email the brand to find out. BUT will also ask how are the legs of that base constructed. If made of thin sheet metal (plastic??) they're may get eventually damaged with all that heavy steel weight on them if I ever have to reposition them.

OP
D

dped90

Am I missing something here? There are bolt heads protruding where the speaker base would be. That seems like a very poor design.

I hadn't noticed. Indeed, as I have zero experience with stand mount speakers I've no idea how they're usually mounted to most stands. But no way am I sinking any big money into stands only to find out they will put my speakers too far off-axis from my ears. Again, these are the things about this market that makes we want to slap someone hard upside the head. How much more could it possibly cost to make most stands height adjustable and yet safe to use-a feature which could be easily implemented in all kinds of ways? All of the hours that I've wasted over this dumbass shxt problem because of them.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The weight plates are 2 inch diameter. Most stands similar to K&M have about a 1 and 5/8s inch pole. I don't know if the latching mechanism comes off the top, but I'd think it does.

Those weight plates are deeply dished on the side you want face down. I don't know if this would actually touch the floor over the K&M base or not. You could put 3 or 5 rubber furniture pads under the edge of the weight plates so it doesn't rest on the speaker stand, but if someone bumps the speaker or stand it still keeps the stand from tipping over. I would think the K&M base would not be damaged by the plates, but I've not seen that one in person.

If you were to use some steel pillar stands, many of those you can fill them with sand say halfway up. It both dampens the stand from ringing and adds weight low near the floor. Play sand is cheap and clean. Just be sure the stands have no pinholes in the bottom and maybe add a trash bag inside to be double sure.

OP
D

dped90

Am I missing something here? There are bolt heads protruding where the speaker base would be. That seems like a very poor design.

BINGO?? Why not this one https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...w-spk-sm50-studio-monitor-stands/reviews?sb=3
plus this

reviewed here?

OP
D

dped90

The weight plates are 2 inch diameter. Most stands similar to K&M have about a 1 and 5/8s inch pole. I don't know if the latching mechanism comes off the top, but I'd think it does.

Those weight plates are deeply dished on the side you want face down. I don't know if this would actually touch the floor over the K&M base or not. You could put 3 or 5 rubber furniture pads under the edge of the weight plates so it doesn't rest on the speaker stand, but if someone bumps the speaker or stand it still keeps the stand from tipping over. I would think the K&M base would not be damaged by the plates, but I've not seen that one in person.

If you were to use some steel pillar stands, many of those you can fill them with sand say halfway up. It both dampens the stand from ringing and adds weight low near the floor. Play sand is cheap and clean. Just be sure the stands have no pinholes in the bottom and maybe add a trash bag inside to be double sure.
A Surfer mentioned that bolts on the plates of those stands. I don't know if they're removable but in any case I've no clue how to safely mount most audiophile speakers to stands, especially cheap ones like those seem to be-or those Gator stands mentioned above and reviewed in that youtube video. Steel pillar stands and which are fillable would likely be ideal if they were height adjustable.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It decouples the speaker from the stand. It also comes with rubber knobs you can use. Or you could just use nothing if you don't care about the stand resonating.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know if they're removable but in any case I've no clue how to safely mount most audiophile speakers to stands

Very few have any sort of threaded mounting point. I think the KEF R3 does and probably a few others, but it's rare.

People mostly use blu tack, velcro, or other adhesive type solutions, if they even secure them at all. Many are just sitting on top.

If you really want to bolt your speaker to the stand the first step will be to find a speaker you even like that has that feature.

OP
D

dped90

It decouples the speaker from the stand. It also comes with rubber knobs you can use. Or you could just use nothing if you don't care about the stand resonating.

WTF! I can't believe that most would just plop $$$$ speakers onto stands with zero velcro or blu tak. I guess enough who frequent forums like these have the bucks to enjoy living dangerously.

Last edited:

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But how exactly do you secure the speaker to that plate? Is this good enough? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu_Tack
Or are there far safer methods?
I've read that if you use enough it's pretty secure but I have my doubts. it would be simple to buy some and test it yourself with some kinda box or appliance or anything though.

Personally I don't trust anything other than bolting to the stand. But then, I wanted studio monitors in the first place so it wasn't a big conflict.

Gringoaudio1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Standard weight plates have a 25mm diameter hole. Olympic weights have a 2” hole. I’ve never seen one personally. But I’m not a gym rat.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
WTF! I can't believe that most would just plop $$$$ speakers onto stands with zero velcro or blu tak. I guess enough who frequent forums like these have the bucks to enjoy living dangerously.
Depends. I use some Aurlex foam pads for my surrounds and center. They decouple, don't mar the finish, and I can angle the center upward and the surrounds downward as I needed them to be. If my speakers were out in the room, I would secure them in some other manner. The foam keeps them from sliding around easily, but otherwise the weight of the speakers just sit upon the stand.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But how far away are your eyes from the screen? And when looking straight ahead do you then have to gaze a lot upward to see just below the screen's center?

Probably around 11 feet. We recently added a console table behind the sectional so it moved up about a foot since I last checked.

Viewing angle feels perfectly natural to me. But I guess that’s preference. It comes down to what matters. The dirty little secret of HT is that the audio needn’t be spot on as long as doesn’t crap out. Why do you think the abomination that is the toppled MTM center channel persists!?!

So ultimately one decides if the TV or music is the priority, and proceeds accordingly.

Top Bottom