• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker Stand Costs, Safety, Features

dped90

As I’m committed to using two pairs of either or both of these subs https://www.rythmikaudio.com/F12SE.html
https://gr-research.com/product/sub-series-double-trouble-with-flatpacks-copy/ , stand mounted speakers seem the most logical way and cost effective way to go for building a 5.1 system. But my choices for the mains will likely run ~ $2K. each, so stand mounting seems a very scary undertaking. Indeed, I will have to recheck my homeowner’s insurance policy to confirm coverage over any such in-home accidents.

Needless to say, the stands would have to be very securely anchored (how??) to the floor under carpeting, though which is thankfully thin.

How can this be done to avoid spills?

I’m not enough of a DIYer to build my own stands. And with what I’m looking to pay per speaker, ~ $400. per stand is very painful.

Another huge concern is that I’ve almost never seen any stands which have adjustable height. I can’t believe this feature is not standard, especially with stands at these prices-and especially since stand mount speakers are almost certainly more popular among users with small rooms than floor standing speakers, would likely have small room users suffering with off-axis listening.

Search [ speaker stand "adjustable height" ] and find almost nothing out there.

Seriously, how “safe” do these adjustable stands look to be to support a ~ 30 lb speaker?
ttps://www.newegg.com/videosecu-ms07b-speaker-stand/p/0RC-007U-00001

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Adjustable height stands are indeed rare in home audio out of a blind "purist" fetishising of equipment that cost more for less functionality.

But they are a necessity in studio/pro audio applications with really sturdy examples from the likes of Konig and Mayer:

Like the looks of this.. Price stands (pun intended :)) on the brutal side IMO.
Speaker height is important and I am likely to continue to use 2-ways powered monitors, so... FWIW, I may purchase 3 and be done..

Thanks

Happy holidays!

Peace.

Barry_Sound

Needless to say, the stands would have to be very securely anchored (how??) to the floor under carpeting, though which is thankfully thin.

Stand mounted speakers in the middle of the room are always accidents waiting to happen. Forget about this when you have younger kids around or visitors coming to you frequently. Whatever you do make sure the stand is large and heavy enough. Solidsteel makes stands in different heights, they are SS-5, SS-6 and SS-7. Non-adjustable but you can pick the right height for your use.

Here is the KEF-3 for example which I believe is around the same weight class of speakers you are looking for. (Image source: https://solidsteel.it/2019/04/06/uk-bristol-hi-fi-show-2019/)

Attachments

• Bristol_HiFi-Show_2019_Solidsteel_KEF_reference_1-e1553722512921-768x1024.jpg
    Bristol_HiFi-Show_2019_Solidsteel_KEF_reference_1-e1553722512921-768x1024.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 204
Reactions: MCH

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Like the looks of this.. Price stands (pun intended :)) on the brutal side IMO.
Speaker height is important and I am likely to continue to use 2-ways powered monitors, so... FWIW, I may purchase 3 and be done..

Thanks

Happy holidays!

Peace.

They are really the premium German-made option that I cited for peace of mind, but most could really get away with Sanus/Monoprice-level stands.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If the stand is heavy, or can be mass loaded, and the speaker bolts to the stand then you will end up with something more stable than a lot of floorstanders. Footprint also matters. My current stand mounts are more stable than all other floorstanders I've had at home, but the stands are 25kg each.

OP
D

dped90

Adjustable height stands are indeed rare in home audio out of a blind "purist" fetishising of equipment that cost more for less functionality.

But they are a necessity in studio/pro audio applications with really sturdy examples from the likes of Konig and Mayer:

Shame that each of the three feet didn't support use of spikes. I live alone but using them as-is, even on bare floors, would be so many pending accidents.

OP
D

dped90

Stand mounted speakers in the middle of the room are always accidents waiting to happen.
Those stands don't seem to have much in the way of height adjustment. As Soniclife the safest possible way is to find stands (ideally height adjustable ones) that can be mass
loaded
with ~ 55 lbs of sand or concrete. But how? Take a stand like that Konig & Meyer IIkless had posted and set it AND four or more steel handles into a plastic form and pour in 55 lbs of concrete?

Last edited:
OP
D

dped90

If the stand is heavy, or can be mass loaded, and the speaker bolts to the stand then you will end up with something more stable than a lot of floorstanders. Footprint also matters. My current stand mounts are more stable than all other floorstanders I've had at home, but the stands are 25kg each.
Clearly, the only sane solution. Can you describe the construction of your stands? Upload photos?

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For more flexibility in height adjustments and positioning there's Sound Anchor they aren't cheap but very stable.

OP
D

dped90

For more flexibility in height adjustments and positioning there's Sound Anchor they aren't cheap but very stable.
$995. per stand? Are you joking? And how much do they even weigh?

OP
D

dped90

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Clearly, the only sane solution. Can you describe the construction of your stands? Upload photos?
They are the dedicated ones for my sonus Faber speakers, and won't work with anything else, not to mention pricy, so not really interesting to anyone else.

For the R3 that was mentioned they make a dedicated stand.
It can be mass loaded, and bolts to the R3.

Are you sure you need height adjustable? Most setups and be tilted slightly to find tune things.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Buy hollow stands many are made to add weight. Go to your local tire shop, like Costco, and ask them for the old wheel balance weights, the used ones they take off cars. Bring a bucket. Put the weights in the bottom half of the stands.

tmuikku

As I’m committed to using two pairs of either or both of these subs https://www.rythmikaudio.com/F12SE.html
https://gr-research.com/product/sub-series-double-trouble-with-flatpacks-copy/ , stand mounted speakers seem the most logical way and cost effective way to go for building a 5.1 system. But my choices for the mains will likely run ~ $2K. each, so stand mounting seems a very scary undertaking. Indeed, I will have to recheck my homeowner’s insurance policy to confirm coverage over any such in-home accidents.

How can this be done to avoid spills?

I’m not enough of a DIYer to build my own stands. And with what I’m looking to pay per speaker, ~ $400. per stand is very painful.

Another huge concern is that I’ve almost never seen any stands which have adjustable height. I can’t believe this feature is not standard, especially with stands at these prices-and especially since stand mount speakers are almost certainly more popular among users with small rooms than floor standing speakers, would likely have small room users suffering with off-axis listening.

Search [ speaker stand "adjustable height" ] and find almost nothing out there.

Seriously, how “safe” do these adjustable stands look to be to support a ~ 30 lb speaker?
ttps://www.newegg.com/videosecu-ms07b-speaker-stand/p/0RC-007U-00001

Hi,
hanging them from the ceiling would be logical solution for your problem, although unconventional. Height adjustment - check, secure - check, affordable - check, 30lb weight limit - no problem. Aesthetics, well, wasn't on your list :D Could be amost invisible though

Last edited:

oceansize

Forum Donor
They are the dedicated ones for my sonus Faber speakers, and won't work with anything else, not to mention pricy, so not really interesting to anyone else.

For the R3 that was mentioned they make a dedicated stand.
It can be mass loaded, and bolts to the R3.

Are you sure you need height adjustable? Most setups and be tilted slightly to find tune things.
The R3s are currently £999/pair in the UK, I can't imagine KEF selling many of their partnering stands for £649/pair. I'd be looking at other options...

Top Bottom