• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker Stand Costs, Safety, Features

jyalpert

Fantastic!! Really great thinking! I can't exploit that leash idea as all four of my speakers will be too far from walls. But that strap around the speaker, how exactly did you secure them to the platform? It looks like screws though some kind of plastic piece that fused to the strap and screwed into a wood platform? Photos?

I would love to use that strap idea with my the Koenig + Meyer adjustable height stand/55 lb barbell plan, but that stand probably uses a metal platform. So maybe machine screws/flat washers/nuts?
Kayak footman’s loop with a 1” opening.

H2o Kayaks 25 mm Webbing HDPE Black Footmans Loop (Pack 4) for 25mm Webbing https://a.co/d/j2tKW7u

And then a 1” Velcro strap.

Definitely want to mount some relatively high friction rubber feet on the speakers or stands as well, so the Velcro pushes down into them. I used the Sound Addicted Subble isolators.

OP
D

dped90

You might want to consider these instead - substantially more sturdy.

You can purchase these stands from a variety of sources - There are several different brand names.
View attachment 253102

That was among my first choice, in part basic on frequency response and other tests this guy ran-albeit with an 82 lb speaker. Frankly, it looks like he was trying to push those crazy money Sound Anchor stands.

But note that the stands in your Amazon link look identical the the Gator stands in the video, https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...frameworks-gfw-spk-sm50-studio-monitor-stands and also to these https://www.amazon.com/ShowMaven-Ad...y+adjustable+height+pro+speaker,aps,93&sr=8-2 and to these https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Sonos-S...mzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc

I'm not saying that they're poorly designed and built just that it's strange to see the exact same stand with this many badges.

In any case, it looks like the pole on that Gator stand is much too big to fit through a 1.65 (42mm) barbell. I'd have to find some other way of securing it or another weight to the base of that stand.

Btw, I wish that Colt would have repeated those tests with the stands (especially the Gators) on thin carpeting. The co-op board insists that second story apartments like mine must have carpeting.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think you're overthinking the weight a bit. The K&M 26734 weighs 30lbs. It's pretty stable with a large base as well. That said, you should be aware that you'll need some kind of mounting adapter since it's designed for PA speakers with a 35mm hole in the bottom. There are a variety from K&M like 24281, 19780, 19580, and 19610. You can also just buy a big plate like this one. You may also want to consider the more flexible 26706 base plate that has different tube mounting points. Then you can put other stuff on the bottom, like subs, or house plants, or whatever.

OP
D

dped90

I think you're overthinking the weight a bit. The K&M 26734 weighs 30lbs. It's pretty stable with a large base as well. That said, you should be aware that you'll need some kind of mounting adapter since it's designed for PA speakers with a 35mm hole in the bottom. There are a variety from K&M like 24281, 19780, 19580, and 19610. You can also just buy a big plate like this one. You may also want to consider the more flexible 26706 base plate that has different tube mounting points. Then you can put other stuff on the bottom, like subs, or house plants, or whatever.

Thanks for this valuable feedback! I may be wrong but it seems wise to error on the side of caution with stand weight when stands are carpeting with of even like practically no pile, like mine. I don't even know if I should be glad that I can't have bare floors in my place when looking that photo with the stands on that hard bare floor. Wouldn't putting two 25 lbs circular bags of sand or rock around those poles help to damp out any resonance, or would this not be an issue if the mains aren't playing loudly and/or crossing high enough with the subs?

I knew that some part of my plan could fall into the toilet, though I asked Michael from K + M in my last two emails to send me links to the speaker bases for that stand. Most of those you posted look like they often wouldn't work as many audiophile speakers have no threaded screw holes. But regarding that bigger base sold at BH Photo are you sure that would mate perfectly with that #26734 stand's pole? Is that pole's connecting size and design common enough to mate with lots of other bases? Ideally, I could even use a wood base like jYalpert's so I could install that strap around the speaker.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for this valuable feedback! I may be wrong but it seems wise to error on the side of caution with stand weight when stands are carpeting with of even like practically no pile, like mine. I don't even know if I should be glad that I can't have bare floors in my place when looking that photo with the stands on that hard bare floor. Wouldn't putting two 25 lbs circular bags of sand or rock around those poles help to damp out any resonance, or would this not be an issue if the mains aren't playing loudly and/or crossing high enough with the subs?
Even at really high SPLs(90dB avg/110 peak) with the subs off on bass heavy music, the stands resonate 10x less than the furniture and fireplace in the room. Btw the plates don't sit on the floor directly, they have hard rubber feet. My subs are dual opposed so the cabinets cannot vibrate. If you put a regular sub on the stand I would probably take the precaution of using some sorbothane or spring isolator feet just so that the metal plate doesn't vibrate much.
I knew that some part of my plan could fall into the toilet, though I asked Michael from K + M in my last two emails to send me links to the speaker bases for that stand. Most of those you posted look like they often wouldn't work as many audiophile speakers have no threaded screw holes.
Yes, 35mm or 1 3/8" is the extremely common, standard pro audio size. That said, I have never used that product, so I can't say how solid it is. The downside of height adjustable stands is they're never going to be quite as solid as thick, heavy fixed stands for the obvious reason that those have 0 moving parts.

But regarding that bigger base sold at BH Photo are you sure that would mate perfectly with that #26734 stand's pole? Is that pole's connecting size and design common enough to mate with lots of other bases? Ideally, I could even use a wood base like jYalpert's so I could install that strap around the speaker.
If you're buying the 26706 you'll want to buy the matching "distance rods" as they call them. I am pretty sure the 26734 is just a base and rod packaged together. There are many choices with different features. Pay mind to the minimum and maximum heights. That is important.

E: Oh also, I got all of my K&M stuff from Thomann. It is much cheaper than in the US. For example that weight you were looking at is only $42. Shipping isn't too bad either.

Last edited:

teashea

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That was among my first choice, in part basic on frequency response and other tests this guy ran-albeit with an 82 lb speaker. Frankly, it looks like he was trying to push those crazy money Sound Anchor stands.

But note that the stands in your Amazon link look identical the the Gator stands in the video, https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...frameworks-gfw-spk-sm50-studio-monitor-stands and also to these https://www.amazon.com/ShowMaven-Adjustable-Speaker-Monitor-Triangle/dp/B08QVHD38D/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1Q2UUWK835KW6&keywords=ShowMaven+2pcs+Heavy+Duty+Adjustable+Height+Pro+Speaker&qid=1672332634&sprefix=showmaven+2pcs+heavy+duty+adjustable+height+pro+speaker,aps,93&sr=8-2 and to these https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Sonos-Speaker-Stand-Holder/dp/B00JEFNSKG/ref=sr_1_10?crid=1Q2UUWK835KW6&keywords=ShowMaven+2pcs+Heavy+Duty+Adjustable+Height+Pro+Speaker&qid=1672332663&sprefix=showmaven+2pcs+heavy+duty+adjustable+height+pro+speaker,aps,93&sr=8-10&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc

I'm not saying that they're poorly designed and built just that it's strange to see the exact same stand with this many badges.

In any case, it looks like the pole on that Gator stand is much too big to fit through a 1.65 (42mm) barbell. I'd have to find some other way of securing it or another weight to the base of that stand.

Btw, I wish that Colt would have repeated those tests with the stands (especially the Gators) on thin carpeting. The co-op board insists that second story apartments like mine must have carpeting.
I understand. There must be a Chinese factory that manufacturers these for multiple companies. I recieved a new set today. They are Pyle and are identical to other sets I have purchased. I should also not that they come with adjustable rubber pads on the base. However, they also come with adjustable metal spikes that can be installed instead.

I remove the plastic collar beuase I like a cleaner look. The collar is quite unnecessary and adds nothing. I add a little Gorilla tape to the inner pole (which slides into the out pole for adjusting the height), to ensure the tightest fit between the inner and out poles.

I am going to use these for the Neumann KH150's that I am ordering next week from Sweetwater.

OP
D

dped90

I understand. There must be a Chinese factory that manufacturers these for multiple companies. I recieved a new set today. They are Pyle and are identical to other sets I have purchased. I should also not that they come with adjustable rubber pads on the base. However, they also come with adjustable metal spikes that can be installed instead.

I remove the plastic collar beuase I like a cleaner look. The collar is quite unnecessary and adds nothing. I add a little Gorilla tape to the inner pole (which slides into the out pole for adjusting the height), to ensure the tightest fit between the inner and out poles.

I am going to use these for the Neumann KH150's that I am ordering next week from Sweetwater.

I wish I had my iphone when I was at the supermarket yesterday. They had a few of these firewood bundles left.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Eco-Forest/5003747311 Amazingly, right next to them was this clear ~ 4 ft plastic bag dispenser that almost anyone might have mistaken for an all metal speaker stand. It even had the flat and wide metal base like that K + M 26734. I placed two of those ~ 20 lb wood bundles on top of the base which held that stand in place on that bare floor very well. When settled on final placement I could velcro the bottom of the bases to the carpet and put the wood bundles on it for extra stability.

Yes, 35mm or 1 3/8" is the extremely common, standard pro audio size. That said, I have never used that product, so I can't say how solid it is. The downside of height adjustable stands is they're never going to be quite as solid as thick, heavy fixed stands for the obvious reason that those have 0 moving parts.

If you're buying the 26706 you'll want to buy the matching "distance rods" as they call them. I am pretty sure the 26734 is just a base and rod packaged together. There are many choices with different features. Pay mind to the minimum and maximum heights. That is important.

E: Oh also, I got all of my K&M stuff from Thomann. It is much cheaper than in the US. For example that weight you were looking at is only $42. Shipping isn't too bad either.
My only worry is that those K + M stands won't be as solid and thick as stands like these.
https://www.pangeaaudio.com/furniture/speaker-stands And like all brands, they assert that the drivers within the cabinet will vibrate the box and cause it to resonate enough to badly color the sound. And also that wood stands are inferior to metal stands to effectively damp out this vibration.
https://www.pangeaaudio.com/Pangea-Audio-DS-200-Speaker-Stand-28

Presumably, there's enough science to back up this claim. However, would the metal build in the K + M 26734 stand be too thin to perform that well? OTOH, how much thicker are the metal stands which Sancus appears to be using? And can they be filled with sand or shot like the Pangea stands?

In any case, none of those Pangea stands look to have bases wide enough to lay those ~ 20 lb wood bundles on them-and the wood, presumably, would be too far away from the speaker to absorb and resonate with the cabinet. But at least I could use the velco fix between the Pangea stand's base and the carpeting.

Of course, those stands are not height adjustable so I'd have to settle on placement vs. distance vs. seating height before selecting the stand with the compatible height . Definately not happy about such limitations.

Of course, the other big concern-after deciding on the speaker model-is how effectively I can then install Jyalpert's speaker strap/clamp safety hardware.

Last edited:
OP
D

dped90

CAUTION??? Metal Speaker Stand/Speaker Driver Magnet Interaction?

I just emailed Pangea Audio on this question:

Many stand mount speakers have powerful magnets in the tweeter, midrange and/or woofer drivers, and the cabinets are unlikely to have expensive mu-metal lining or other means to reduce exterior field radiation.

Were comparative listening tests, frequency response and distortion measurements ever made between a speaker on a wood stand and the same speaker on your all metal stand?

Please advise.

teashea

20230119_125952.jpg
20230119_125722.jpg
20230119_125759.jpg
20230119_125838.jpg
20230119_125915.jpg

OP
D

dped90

Most ingenious, teashea! You not only tightly secured the bottoms of those stands to that mixing table's legs with tie wraps but it appears that you also coupled the stand's pole to the frame of the table, offering more safety against falls. And perhaps also helps damping out resonances. As does that material (??) on the floor?

If I was willing to chance bringing my expensive Xeon laptop and external BD drive out to Queens, NY (hardly a low crime area), I could audition those Neuman powered 3-ways https://daleproaudio.com/products/neumann-kh-310-a-active-three-way-studio-monitor-right That way I could learn how my old movies and TV shows on DVD and BD would sound on them.

I last week I bumped into the Vandersteen brand. I've never heard his speakers but people have raved about the big sound of this model 2C since it debuted in 1977 for ~ $1100/pair. Still in production and very affordable but sounding very different-probably even more revealing than the Neumans? Even ATCs? This I rather sadly learned from Steve Guttenberg's
review.

And the Treo CT, which I previously assumed to be a good choice for the front towers of the 5.1 system are undoubtedly even more transparent. How wise a choice would that be for my movie and TV sources?

Equally, if not even more revealing would be the Pure Audio open baffles.

And yet despite their incredible, if musical, transparency, none of these open baffles (including the Vandersteens), could play the sound of my movies/TV shows in full frequency range at low levels for late night listening, like the Klipsch Cornwalls, said Guttenberg-and presumably unlike the Neumans too.

And the hunt for my 5.1 speakers continues. But if they do end up being stand mount speakers I will keep your solutions in mind for doing the stands.

teashea

Most ingenious, teashea! You not only tightly secured the bottoms of those stands to that mixing table's legs with tie wraps but it appears that you also coupled the stand's pole to the frame of the table, offering more safety against falls. And perhaps also helps damping out resonances. As does that material (??) on the floor?

If I was willing to chance bringing my expensive Xeon laptop and external BD drive out to Queens, NY (hardly a low crime area), I could audition those Neuman powered 3-ways https://daleproaudio.com/products/neumann-kh-310-a-active-three-way-studio-monitor-right That way I could learn how my old movies and TV shows on DVD and BD would sound on them.

I last week I bumped into the Vandersteen brand. I've never heard his speakers but people have raved about the big sound of this model 2C since it debuted in 1977 for ~ $1100/pair. Still in production and very affordable but sounding very different-probably even more revealing than the Neumans? Even ATCs? This I rather sadly learned from Steve Guttenberg's
review.

And the Treo CT, which I previously assumed to be a good choice for the front towers of the 5.1 system are undoubtedly even more transparent. How wise a choice would that be for my movie and TV sources?

Equally, if not even more revealing would be the Pure Audio open baffles.

And yet despite their incredible, if musical, transparency, none of these open baffles (including the Vandersteens), could play the sound of my movies/TV shows in full frequency range at low levels for late night listening, like the Klipsch Cornwalls, said Guttenberg-and presumably unlike the Neumans too.

And the hunt for my 5.1 speakers continues. But if they do end up being stand mount speakers I will keep your solutions in mind for doing the stands.
I have a pair of Cornwall IV's and their dynamic properties are amazing. I also have Neumann KH120's/KH750, KH310's and KH150's in my recording
20230115_182339.jpg
20230117_154550.jpg
studio. Very different purposes.

OP
D

dped90

I have a pair of Cornwall IV's and their dynamic properties are amazing. I also have Neumann KH120's/KH750, KH310's and KH150's in my recordingView attachment 259070View attachment 259071 studio. Very different purposes.
Do you also have speakers in a 5.1 or other surround system? If yes, which and what have you found to be their ups and downs system for DVD/BD movie sound?

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
For more flexibility in height adjustments and positioning there's Sound Anchor they aren't cheap but very stable.
Might as well get a pair of these, and throw away (or sell) the drill head…

teashea

Do you also have speakers in a 5.1 or other surround system? If yes, which and what have you found to be their ups and downs system for DVD/BD movie sound?
I have not interest in movies - I focus on music, I suppose since I am a music producer. So, I don't know.

Doenerkunde

Since this seems to be the most recent thread about speaker stands and I don´t want to open a new one, I post in here in hope of some opinions.

I plan to buy speaker stands. While doing so an idea crossed my mind: What about barstools as speaker stands? I really like the „four columns/legs“ look of them and they are astonishingly cheap as barstools are sold in much higher volume than speaker stands.

Example:
barstool.jpg

Source: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B083B9ZCWP/

I would not attach the seat, as the frame seems to be stable on it´s own. Instead I would attach a square pavement slab (as I have these available and am on a tight budget). This would allow the speaker to sit flush on it with it´s front baffle.

Potential problems:
- The chair legs are made out of stamped steel, so they might resonate. One could say that this is also the case with dedicated speaker stands. Would you think that a barstool made from wood is likely to perform better in this regard?
- Sides and back of the speakers would not sit flush. On either side there would be a 4,5cm/1.8inch gap. On the back of the speaker the slab would stand out 2.5cm/1inch. (Elac DBR62) This would not bother me from the looks perspective, but maybe this could cause audible reflection issues.

Any input and opinions on this idea are highly welcome!

teashea

Since this seems to be the most recent thread about speaker stands and I don´t want to open a new one, I post in here in hope of some opinions.

I plan to buy speaker stands. While doing so an idea crossed my mind: What about barstools as speaker stands? I really like the „four columns/legs“ look of them and they are astonishingly cheap as barstools are sold in much higher volume than speaker stands.

Example:
View attachment 263595

I would not attach the seat, as the frame seems to be stable on it´s own. Instead I would attach a square pavement slab (as I have these available and am on a tight budget). This would allow the speaker to sit flush on it with it´s front baffle.

Potential problems:
- The chair legs are made out of stamped steel, so they might resonate. One could say that this is also the case with dedicated speaker stands. Would you think that a barstool made from wood is likely to perform better in this regard?
- Sides and back of the speakers would not sit flush. On either side there would be a 4,5cm/1.8inch gap. On the back of the speaker the slab would stand out 2.5cm/1inch. (Elac DBR62) This would not bother me from the looks perspective, but maybe this could cause audible reflection issues.

What a great idea - brillian in fact. Well done. Reflections will not be an issue.

ooheadsoo

Forum Donor

Example:
View attachment 263595

Potential problems:

I think I recall I mentioned using stools before, earlier on this thread. You could consider using wooden stools if you're worried about ringing. I wouldn't worry about speaker rear over hang, and just focus on the front over hang, if at all. The lower frequencies that wrap to the back of the speaker are already going to diffract from the back edges of your speaker cabinet, the addition of the stool shouldn't be significant.

Doenerkunde

Example:
View attachment 263595

To keep you guys updated: A week ago I bought these bar stools for 49€/pair. The frame is pretty lightweight (around 2kg/pc). When hitting the frame it rings pretty heavily.

But: It is possible to completely fill them up with sand. So I pulled out some black silicone, black duct tape and got 10kg of sand. Yesterday I sealed every element of both frames with the duct tape and silicone (except for the holes to fill them up). Today I finished filling one frame with sand. Took a while, but the sand filled frame weighs 6,2kg now and seems pretty "dead" to me. The ringing seems gone, huge difference. I´m pretty confident in them now!

So: Using very cheap bar stools as speaker stands is not "the life hack to end all life hacks" and comes with downsides.

Here are a few pics. I plan on using a pavement slab under the speaker, but the Elac DBRs fit the frame very nicely and I wanted to show you a late night picture including the speaker.

stands with ls.jpgoverview.jpgsmall element.jpgbig frame.jpg

Top Bottom