• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker Stand Costs, Safety, Features

OP
D

dped90

..........And around and around............

OP
D

dped90

Personally I don't trust anything other than bolting to the stand. But then, I wanted studio monitors in the first place so it wasn't a big conflict.
Yes, but I wonder how many stand mount speaker models from KEF, B & W, Proac over $2K each even have a single tapped screw hole. Like I would ever risk doing so myself, and void the warranty doing so. What a sick joke all of this is.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Am I missing something here? There are bolt heads protruding where the speaker base would be. That seems like a very poor design.
Sorry, I don't see protruding bolt heads.

• Monitor can also be attached directly with a 3/8" thread connection
  • Support plate (245 x 205 mm) can be fitted either with 4 rubber studs or 4 threaded nibs to hold the monitor in place
I think you're seeing the 4 threaded nibs in the pictures.

teashea

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have four sets of these that I use for speakers for some of my keyboards. They support a lot of weight. The issue is simply one of ensuring that they are in a position where they do not get knocked over. I ordered another set for the KH150's I am purchasing next week. Here is a photo or two - where you can see they are in protected positions.

1125221711.jpg
1212221536.jpg

Gringoaudio1

Forum Donor
B24AFAD7-9344-442B-BDC2-34A4A8E0BB50.jpeg
Blutack has proven too sticky and has ripped off veneer from the bottoms of several DIY speakers.
There couldn’t be a much easier diy project than speaker stands. I was able to acquire some timber cut offs which helps. MDF top and base.
Some friction based connection like cork or blutack or a mechanical connection between speaker and stand is required though. One attempt by the cat to jump o or off could be a disaster.

dshreter

If mounting speakers is something important to OP, buy speakers that are appropriate for mounting. Pretty much all of the studio monitors have robust and flexible solutions so they can be mounted on poles, walls, VESA plates, and more. Neumann and Genelec have a wide variety of adapters for this purpose.

I’m not sure why you’re so flabbergasted that there are products being sold that don’t meet the requirements of your use case. Just buy something that does.

Last edited:
OP
D

dped90

Probably around 11 feet. We recently added a console table behind the sectional so it moved up about a foot since I last checked.

Viewing angle feels perfectly natural to me. But I guess that’s preference. It comes down to what matters. The dirty little secret of HT is that the audio needn’t be spot on as long as doesn’t crap out. Why do you think the abomination that is the toppled MTM center channel persists!?!

So ultimately one decides if the TV or music is the priority, and proceeds accordingly.
Again, I'm 11 ft from my 32" Toshiba CRT TV, atop a rock solid Toshiba stand which I had miraculously found out on the street. My eyes are happy being nearly dead center with the screen. But for the taller 65" OLED, viewed at about the same distance, I'll need feet with adjustable height. https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Pedestal-Bracket-Replacement-Adjustable/dp/B07MZ7M13M Hopefully, my eyes will again be close to dead center on the screen while the center channel speaker, presumably on some kind of stand in front of the TV, won't obscure the view.

OP
D

dped90

View attachment 252747Blutack has proven too sticky and has ripped off veneer from the bottoms of several DIY speakers.
There couldn’t be a much easier diy project than speaker stands. I was able to acquire some timber cut offs which helps. MDF top and base.
Some friction based connection like cork or blutack or a mechanical connection between speaker and stand is required though. One attempt by the cat to jump o or off could be a disaster.
I don't get it. You said blu tak damaged your speaker's finish but then it appears that you went ahead and used it again. What about using velcro? Or carefully applied strips of 2" wide gaffers tape? No carpentry skills at all, nor any tools. My brother's a pro carpenter but we hate each other so that's no option. Nice cat! Missing my black boy cat a long time.

What speakers? DIY or what brands/models?

OP
D

dped90

If mounting speakers is something important to OP, buy speakers that are appropriate for mounting. Pretty much all of the studio monitors have robust and flexible solutions so they can be mounted on poles, walls, VESA plates, and more. Neumann and Genelec have a wide variety of adapters for this purpose.

I’m not sure why you’re so flabbergasted that there are products being sold that don’t meet the requirements of your use case. Just buy something that does.
Actually, after realizing that myself I then reached out for feedback. https://www.avsforum.com/threads/do...ave-bottom-screw-holes.3263263/#post-62212560

As for excellent studio near field monitors like Neumann and Genelec, they are obviously designed to be very unforgiving of nearly all flaws in source material, as Riechert here found out when playing an otherwise great recording that had included a segment hit with too much compression. https://www.stereophile.com/content/genelec-g-three-active-loudspeaker

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've read that if you use enough it's pretty secure but I have my doubts. it would be simple to buy some and test it yourself with some kinda box or appliance or anything though.

I’ve picked up ~60L Baltic Birch subwoofer/stands with an 8kg drive unit by speakers secured to them by 4 dime-sized dots of Blu-Tack. Not for long or a great distance (mostly just for toe in adjustments or other small placement things) but it held. Getting them apart when I swapped speakers was an ordeal, too. Basically required high levels of sudden torque to separate.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've used sorbothane dics under speakers and found they work very well holding the speaker in place. It won't slide around on surfaces so simply bumping into a stand, as long as you don't knock the whole thing over the speaker won't slide off or tilt. I've had to really work to pry these things loose from not only speakers but electronic equipment I wanted to raise a bit for better airflow.

dshreter

As for excellent studio near field monitors like Neumann and Genelec, they are obviously designed to be very unforgiving of nearly all flaws in source material, as Riechert here found out when playing an otherwise great recording that had included a segment hit with too much compression. https://www.stereophile.com/content/genelec-g-three-active-loudspeaker
I’d strongly suggest you should have a listen for yourself as there are many of use enjoying studio monitors for home listening. Speakers that are accurate (unforgiving?) is not a bad thing - and this label is interestingly not slapped on highly accurate home speakers.

Think about it, what sort of distortion would you want a speaker to add that would make them more forgiving?

Gringoaudio1

Forum Donor
FFFF6D9E-5F2B-439B-B7B1-A5AFD207C5CA.jpeg

I don't get it. You said blu tak damaged your speaker's finish but then it appears that you went ahead and used it again. What about using velcro? Or carefully applied strips of 2" wide gaffers tape? No carpentry skills at all, nor any tools. My brother's a pro carpenter but we hate each other so that's no option. Nice cat! Missing my black boy cat a long time.

What speakers? DIY or what brands/models?
I bought the blue tack and put it on two sets of speakers I made around the same time. One one I accidentally set the speaker on the stand upside down so that when I moved it it destroyed the veneer on the ‘top’ of the box. This was several years ago. So they had to remain upside down to hide the damage. Original CSS mid-woofer driver and a Tangband tweeter. The ones with the cat I just damaged recently as I forgot about the bluetack and attempted to adjust the speaker on the stand and tore veneer off the bottom. They have Scanspeak drivers. 2905/9500 tweeter and 15w/8530 K01. Cat sitting on the Scanspeak units. CSS in this picture.

OP
D

dped90

The ones I linked specify they have 2 inch holes.
Back to the drawing board?? I just realized that unless these were something like full range electrostatic stand mount speakers they will all contain pretty powerful magnets in their drivers. Of course the inverse square law comes into play
but will the speakers be far enough away from the barbells to insure no sonic penalties?
I’d strongly suggest you should have a listen for yourself as there are many of use enjoying studio monitors for home listening. Speakers that are accurate (unforgiving?) is not a bad thing - and this label is interestingly not slapped on highly accurate home speakers.

Think about it, what sort of distortion would you want a speaker to add that would make them more forgiving?
NO distortion, ever, thank you! But a speaker can doesn't have to have higher distortion (harmonic or intermoduation) than the Genelec G3's to be less analytical of the audio signal sent to. For example, the passive Yamaha NS-10m's were used by countless studios to mix many hit recordings. I read that they were popular because, among other reasons, their midrange band was elevated on average by about 4 or 5db, which made it easier for engineers to catch and eliminate performer errors, acoustical and/or electronic noise, distortion or other garbage. But ask most engineers if the NS-10m's would be their choice for a home listening speaker and most would give you a flat out no, because, possibly along with other reasons, it would too often lay bare flaws in their own music collections, rendering them practically unlistenable.

In the case of the Genelec G3's, the fact that its frequency response is very flat https://www.stereophile.com/content/genelec-g-three-active-loudspeaker-measurements AND also that it uses active crossovers will make them especially transparent with any source material. Sure, if some of my music has some clipping (overload) distortion I can remove most of it easily enough https://www.izotope.com/en/products/rx/features/de-clip.html , since I always rip my favored CD tracks as uncompressed WAV or FLAC files. But I can't make any such repairs to movie soundtracks on DVD and BD, and I've heard bursts of clipping distortion or other garbage from vintage TV episode and movie audio https://bluray.highdefdigest.com/46478/inferno2d3d.html through my old floor standing speakers that through the Genelecs would knock me out of my chair.

Fortunately, most of my large movie and TV collection have decent to very good audio, but how enjoyable they'd actually sound through the Genelec G3's is unknown.

Last edited:
OP
D

dped90

BINGO??? This adjustable height speaker stand with 44 pound capacity.
https://www.k-m.de/en/products/spea...peaker-stands/26734-speaker-stand-black?c=189

But I would want at least a 55 pound weight added to the base for safety. There are these 11 pound weights. https://www.k-m.de/en/products/spea...ional-weight-for-base-plates-structured-black

Unfortunately, five of those weights for each of the four stands I need would be crazy expensive.
https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/600097-k-m-26709-weight-plate-for-m20-base-5-kg

Therefore, I'm asking the brand if the stand’s pole will fit through the hole in this 55 pound barbell?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Preenex-...-for-Pro-School-Home-Gyms-Set-of-2/1937172631

Also, asking how many of what type of speaker mounting platform (s) are available to use with this stand.

jyalpert

C900A7F6-E189-4AA2-AB7A-75DD469A79E9.jpeg

My solution, in a house with a 3 and a 5 year old. A leash made from aircraft cable and a carabiner. Speakers held to the stands with a Velcro strap. Lots of slack in the speaker wire so I can unclip and bring the stands into the room.

teashea

BINGO??? This adjustable height speaker stand with 44 pound capacity.
https://www.k-m.de/en/products/spea...peaker-stands/26734-speaker-stand-black?c=189

But I would want at least a 55 pound weight added to the base for safety. There are these 11 pound weights. https://www.k-m.de/en/products/spea...ional-weight-for-base-plates-structured-black

Unfortunately, five of those weights for each of the four stands I need would be crazy expensive.
https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/600097-k-m-26709-weight-plate-for-m20-base-5-kg

Therefore, I'm asking the brand if the stand’s pole will fit through the hole in this 55 pound barbell?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Preenex-...-for-Pro-School-Home-Gyms-Set-of-2/1937172631

Also, asking how many of what type of speaker mounting platform (s) are available to use with this stand.
You might want to consider these instead - substantially more sturdy.

You can purchase these stands from a variety of sources - There are several different brand names.
1125221711.jpg

OP
D

dped90

View attachment 253088
My solution, in a house with a 3 and a 5 year old. A leash made from aircraft cable and a carabiner. Speakers held to the stands with a Velcro strap. Lots of slack in the speaker wire so I can unclip and bring the stands into the room.
Fantastic!! Really great thinking! I can't exploit that leash idea as all four of my speakers will be too far from walls. But that strap around the speaker, how exactly did you secure them to the platform? It looks like screws though some kind of plastic piece that fused to the strap and screwed into a wood platform? Photos?

I would love to use that strap idea with my the Koenig + Meyer adjustable height stand/55 lb barbell plan, but that stand probably uses a metal platform. So maybe machine screws/flat washers/nuts?

Top Bottom