• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sound Town ST-UPDM4C (4 Channel Pro Amp)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 134 94.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Sound Town ST-UPDM4C four (4) channel professional amplifier. It was purchased new by a member and drop shipped to me. It costs US $540.
Sound Town ST-UPDM4C Review Four Channel Amplifier.jpg

As you see, there is a bit of style to this amp with the front panel. This is a straight amplifier with no DSP:
Sound Town ST-UPDM4C Review Back Panel Four Channel Amplifier.jpg

The fans came on immediately and made moderate amount of noise (much quieter/lower pitched than many small fans like this). As you see, input is XLR and output is speakon connectors.

I was very pleased to see Audio Precision analyzer graphs in the manual. They were quite tiny and hard to read but made me hope that the design was verified through such.

Sound Town ST-UPDM4C Measurements
The tests you see are all performed using Channels 1 & 2 on one side. Let's start with our dashboard:

Sound Town ST-UPDM4C Measurements Four Channel Amplifier.png

SINAD is below average of all amplifiers tested by 4 dB but for a Pro amplifier, it is not bad:
Best pro amplifier review.png

But there is more going on here. There is broad set of noise between 2 and 4 kHz. I shut off the signal feed to it and was very surprised to find this noise component:

Sound Town ST-UPDM4C Measurements Noise Spectrum Four Channel Amplifier.png

Seems like some square wave with harmonics buzzing around internally that is bleeding into the amplifier. Not good.

That noise limited the signal to noise ratio:

Sound Town ST-UPDM4C Measurements SNR Four Channel Amplifier.png

It also showed up in multitone test:

Sound Town ST-UPDM4C Measurements Multitone Four Channel Amplifier.png

Notice how the ends of the spectrum has reduced levels which indicates non-flat frequency response:

Sound Town ST-UPDM4C Measurements Frequency Response Four Channel Amplifier.png

Not only do we have (speaker) load impedance dependency but we are missing the lows as well below 40 Hz or so. As such, you can't use this amplifier for subwoofer duty.

Amplifier is rated at huge wattage so I was shocked to see so little output with 4 ohm load:
Sound Town ST-UPDM4C Measurements Power into 4 ohm Four Channel Amplifier.png

Sound Town ST-UPDM4C Measurements Max and Peak Power into 4 ohm Four Channel Amplifier.png

I am used to seeing power exaggeration in pro amplifier specs but this is in entirely different class.

Strangely, I got identical amount of power into 8 ohm load:

Sound Town ST-UPDM4C Measurements Power into 8 ohm Four Channel Amplifier.png

Is there some kind of limiter in the unit? There must be. See what happens when I change frequencies:

Sound Town ST-UPDM4C Measurements Distortion vs Frequency Power into 4 ohm Four Channel Amplif...png

See how the curve goes up but then starts to go backward below 1 kHz? That is electronic limiter in action.

Finally crosstalk was very poor:

Sound Town ST-UPDM4C Measurements Crosstalk Four Channel Amplifier.png

Conclusion
I have hardly seen any audio device show issues in every test I run but here we are. I don't understand what is going on here. How can they have analyzed the performance using AP yet have so many issues left on the table? Did they design change post those measurements? This is the frequency response from the manual:

1639529036313.png

It shows flat response to 20 Hz. Notice the date is 2003. Is it really that old of a design?

Anyway, I can't recommend the Sound Town ST-UPDM4C.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Wow.

Thanks for the review @amirm

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Another that bites the dust!! Thanks @amirm for another revealing review!!

peniku8

Forum Donor
The website states "4 X 950W". I'm sure they don't mean "four times 950" but instead mean "4x=950W", while "x" is the amount of power available per channel. Solve for X and you get x=238W per channel. Actually on point for the 4R test, just gotta do some math!
Jokes aside, that's some pathetic amount of power for the price, would much rather get a few Behringer amps. But I guess it's attractive for a lightweight monitor amp. 4 channels with 200W each is plenty for stage monitoring. And 1U is interesting for those who try to keep their racks small, but at that point I'd much rather go with active speakers (and I did).

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
When you see the exit ramp for Sound Town, keep on driving.

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
Amazing you can fit that in a 1U rack mount, just a shame about the performance. The FR is appalling for something considered professional.

Might explain why some songs sound so aweful if this is in the studio, rather than a mobile disco.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Amazing you can fit that in a 1U rack mount, just a shame about the performance. The FR is appalling for something considered professional.

Might explain why some songs sound so aweful if this is in the studio, rather than a mobile disco.

Pretty sure the ART SLA-4 performs better than this one. It’s also cheaper!!

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
I'll just go ahead and get this out of the way... Maybe Amir got a defective unit! Or his AP is broken! Or he forgot how to use it!

YSC

Major Contributor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Sound Town ST-UPDM4C four (4) channel professional amplifier. It was purchased new by a member and drop shipped to me. It costs US $540.
View attachment 172515

As you see, there is a bit of style to this amp with the front panel. This is a straight amplifier with no DSP:
View attachment 172516

The fans came on immediately and made moderate amount of noise (much quieter/lower pitched than many small fans like this). As you see, input is XLR and output is speakon connectors.

I was very pleased to see Audio Precision analyzer graphs in the manual. They were quite tiny and hard to read but made me hope that the design was verified through such.

Sound Town ST-UPDM4C Measurements
The tests you see are all performed using Channels 1 & 2 on one side. Let's start with our dashboard:

View attachment 172517

SINAD is below average of all amplifiers tested by 4 dB but for a Pro amplifier, it is not bad:
View attachment 172518

But there is more going on here. There is broad set of noise between 2 and 4 kHz. I shut off the signal feed to it and was very surprised to find this noise component:

View attachment 172519

Seems like some square wave with harmonics buzzing around internally that is bleeding into the amplifier. Not good.

That noise limited the signal to noise ratio:

View attachment 172520

It also showed up in multitone test:

View attachment 172521

Notice how the ends of the spectrum has reduced levels which indicates non-flat frequency response:

View attachment 172522

Not only do we have (speaker) load impedance dependency but we are missing the lows as well below 40 Hz or so. As such, you can't use this amplifier for subwoofer duty.

Amplifier is rated at huge wattage so I was shocked to see so little output with 4 ohm load:
View attachment 172523

View attachment 172524

I am used to seeing power exaggeration in pro amplifier specs but this is in entirely different class.

Strangely, I got identical amount of power into 8 ohm load:

View attachment 172525

Is there some kind of limiter in the unit? There must be. See what happens when I change frequencies:

View attachment 172526

See how the curve goes up but then starts to go backward below 1 kHz? That is electronic limiter in action.

Finally crosstalk was very poor:

View attachment 172527

Conclusion
I have hardly seen any audio device show issues in every test I run but here we are. I don't understand what is going on here. How can they have analyzed the performance using AP yet have so many issues left on the table? Did they design change post those measurements? This is the frequency response from the manual:

View attachment 172528

It shows flat response to 20 Hz. Notice the date is 2003. Is it really that old of a design?

Anyway, I can't recommend the Sound Town ST-UPDM4C.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
I wondered about the "not bad for a pro amp" thing, why is audio so weird in that pro stuffs works worse than hobby stuffs.. isn't pro stuffs usually more robust, perform better and lasts but looks bad and with user unfriendly controls?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder what it must be like being a professional in this industry, going in more blind than would-be audiophiles into purchases.
How many professionals actually buy this brand?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What is special about a "pro" amplifier? And why are expectations different for "pro" than for home audio?
I've always thought the consumer amp crowd just figured theirs would be better....because.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What is special about a "pro" amplifier? And why are expectations different for "pro" than for home audio?
They're usually feature rich compared to a consumer amp.

ps....but not as "pretty"

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

@amirm can of course speak for himself, but my understanding is that if you look at pro-targeted amps like the Crown Class D models, they sacrifice distortion and noise performance in order to provide gobs of power in a low-profile, not-too-expensive package.

Of course this one is a trainwreck, but the low SINAD would be consistent with the pro amp approach, if this amp had delivered lots of power and good frequency linearity (and had not had that bizarre mess in the upper-mids even with no signal feeding it).

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've never heard of the company. As far as I can tell, it's a no-name brand sold through vendors like Amazon and Aliexpress. It might as well say "Ultramax" or "Power Plus" something on the front panel. I'm surprised it didn't blow up in testing.
Yeah pretty much my impression.....someone who read the marketing and thought it was a good idea to buy?

Top Bottom