• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sorry Amir but you are wrong

egellings

Major Contributor
I think that living room audio electronics design is a solved problem. There's nothing new under the sun. All competent amplifiers should sound the same in a given setting. Since grifters gonna grift, they invent new 'problems' that they then happily sell a solution for. Cables are a good breeding ground for these types, since cables are cheap (izz cheep!) & easy to make, and you don't need to know anything about electronics to make & sell them along with preposterous and unproven claims about their performance. It's basically audio homeopathy.

joeren

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but our beloved Amir is wrong.I just watched this video by Paul McSnakeoil and he has explained in his terms how and why his Box of stuff works and your review,coupled to the fact according to Paul you either didn't know how or what you were measuring or was faulty,he couldn't tell either (his words),well I'm afraid you are wrong.Back to Uni for you.:)o_O:facepalm::D:oops:

Oh my!

fragzone

I am not the biggest fan of Zeos but I realized Paul was kind of a shady dude when he uploaded a video at his room at an audio convention. Zeos blatantly asked him to blur his face but Paul uploaded it in full HD no blurring at all. There was also this seething distaste that I could sense emanating from Paul during his discussions with him, probably mad that Zeos is one of the proponents of the notion that spending thousands on expensive dacs is futile.

OP
N

noiseangel

PS Audio. Now in damage control.

MalinYamato

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It could be pretty much anyone that hasn't been lucky enough to stumble across a decent objective review.

Amir's measurements suggest that PS Audio's top of the line DAC is no better than some dongle DACs costing less than a hundredth of the price, yet here it is in Stereophile's list of recommended components in the top, A+ tier:

Wow! I followed the link and read "There have followed three additional, successive firmware upgrades; in 2017, the most recent of these, named Huron, impressed JCA as "a clear improvement over [its immediate predecessor], which was already very good."

A "clear improvement" - that's their words not mine. Yet the original review stated "Time will tell if and when these levels of performance, flexibility, and luxury will become available for less than $6000. But today, for those who've waited for a computer-friendly DAC that offers, with every type of music file, the best musicality of which DSD is capable, the PerfectWave DirectStream may be in a class by itself."

This is exactly the issue I have with these magazines. A product goes from "a class by itself" - at the $6,000 price class no less, to releasing a firmware update to being clearly improved.

MalinYamato

Is this the way to go in order to "hear the drums" in my phones?

path1536.png

Last edited:

joeren

is this video a response to Amirs review with attempts to tell us that his stuff indeed work.
A simplistic bench experiment, to show that the PS12 regulates it’s output isn’t the point. The point is weather it can make an improvement in the output/sound quality of audio equipment. If you’re driving your power amp to it’s maximum output, you may eek out an addition watt or two, using the PS12. So what. Amir’s deep dive into the performance benefits/or lack of, proves it has zero impact on sound quality. I don’t see any utility for this product.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
A simplistic bench experiment, to show that the PS12 regulates it’s output isn’t the point. The point is weather it can make an improvement in the output/sound quality of audio equipment. If you’re driving your power amp to it’s maximum output, you may eek out an addition watt or two, using the PS12. So what. Amir’s deep dive into the performance benefits/or lack of, proves it has zero impact on sound quality. I don’t see any utility for this product.
I was thinking the same thing. It's splitting hairs for a little more rail voltage if a linear supply and tiny tiny fraction of a db louder if splitting hairs again. Any sane independent technician or a engineer can figure this out and I suspect the engineer in that video knows this but he's playing along with Paul. :facepalm:

KellenVancouver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I was thinking the same thing. It's splitting hairs for a little more rail voltage if a linear supply and tiny tiny fraction of a db louder if splitting hairs again. Any sane independent technician or a engineer can figure this out and I suspect the engineer in that video knows this but he's playing along with Paul. :facepalm:
"Playing along with Paul" is that a euphemism? Otherwise known as deception? Lack of integrity? Dishonesty?

egellings

Major Contributor
Likely the engineer is paid to give high marks to the product.

iMickey503

Forum Donor
People grow up with many traditions and customs. Audio in many respects is no different.
If it makes you feel good having a Klingon Power plant? So be it.

Longshan

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but our beloved Amir is wrong.I just watched this video by Paul McSnakeoil and he has explained in his terms how and why his Box of stuff works and your review,coupled to the fact according to Paul you either didn't know how or what you were measuring or was faulty,he couldn't tell either (his words),well I'm afraid you are wrong.Back to Uni for you.:)o_O:facepalm::D:oops:

Learned some new technical terms that I shall henceforth use when giving a scientifically accurate description of how electricity works:

"Oompf."

"Dude"

"Whoah!"

egellings

Major Contributor
The sort of words I use after accidentally personally conducting a few dozen milliamps' worth of the stuff.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
If you know that it's a Klingon Power plant, and it really is a Klingon Power plant

I’m not too sure about that, actually. It just looks too square for that. With Klingon gear you’d expect more triangular or hexagonal shapes and angles…

airgas1998

"flat and lifeless sound"..well I'll be a son of b....i knew something was off with my gear. hey thanks, Paul...

Katji

Major Contributor
:D
That's a good one to add to the comments there. [Although i suppose some would take it seriously.]

panther

This brought a smile to my face just for the cheese factor. My second thought was dang I need power conditioners for my Tesla coils in Command and Conquer Red Alert.

Top Bottom