• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help me understand my graphs and room accoustic advice

Donnage

Hi everyone,

I got myself a UMIK-1 like a week ago. I've read through this forum and watched some tutorials by Amir, but please be kind with me :)
As most of you I'm trying to improve the sound in my room. Since I don't know any audiophiles in reallife, I was hoping some of you could help me out.

My current gear:
Arendal 1961 bookshelves
Arendal 1961 1s subwoofer
IOTAVX SA3 integrated amplifier

Room lay-out:
room layout. png.png

Pictures room with comments:
entrance.jpg

Sorry for the mess you guys! Didn't really bother to make things tidy for the pictures. You can see a big window which is a large reflection point. SADLY I can't add curtains
, because the only way to attach these is to drill in the ceiling. This place is from my parents and they rather have me not drill in the ceiling.
backwall.jpg

The back wall is empty so I assume this may cause the 140 and 180 hertz dip visible in my graph later on. I can drill in this wall. However I was wondering how worse I'd make it if I'd add a mirror of around ~60cm right next to the light switch and treat the entire wall beside that?

third viewpointjpg.jpg

Under my desk is an opening. I guess this would make the room not fully square for the sound?

Frequency response in my room:

frequency response.png

I know that the bass is quite heavy. I listen mainly on low to medium listening levels so this is intentional. I've a big peak at 80 hertz which I cannot fully EQ away. According to REW I've to minus 80 hertz ~ 16db but arendal's internal EQ can only compensate for -10DB. Besides that lower bass is EQ-able. I also notice a big dip in 140 hertz and 180 hertz. How bad is this? I've never had better sound than this so it's hard for me to judge my curve. That being said, I enjoy my sound, when I do sometimes listen on higher SPL levels, I lower the bass a bit but then I feel like the sound gets a bit "sharp" for me, especially female vocals and drums. Is this explainable from my graph? It doesn't seem like a bright graph from my understandings..

RT 60:
rt60.png

I've heard that RT60 doesn't really work in small rooms like mine. But then I still see many people use it. So here is a graph of my RT60. It looks average for an untreated room? I think treating the lowest regions will be outside my reach since I don't want a room full of basstraps.

My Goal:
Just aiming to improve my sound in the room. Already quite happy actually, but I don't want to be bottlenecked too much by my room, especially at higher volumes. Aesthetics are important, but I don't mind having some pretty panels in sight :)
Also in the future I'll have a 5.x setup. I'm saving up for KEF R3 meta + kef r6 Meta fronts.

What I came up with myself:

Treat the first reflections!

I wanted to start with:

- A wool rug in front of the speakers, with some felt underneath
- either treat the back wall with 3 GIK alpha panels of 4 inch thick ( 60*120cm each ). This would cover 90% of the backwall, or treat the backwall with the newly released GIK slatfusors. These seem to absorb quite a lot more than the GIK alpha, but the GIK alpha has a better diffusing pattern. Would I notice this? In other words, looks aside, which of the two panels perform better in your opinion?
- A freestanding absorber right next to the window. Something like the gik gobos

My main question to all of you:

- Would these plans be enough for a (slightly) better sound? I don't need to have the perfect room, just better than it is now :)
- Would I ruin the sound If i'd add a mirror right next to the light switch on the backwall? I'd still have enough space for 2 60*120mm panels next to it. The thing is that I already have this mirror laying around.
- What would you do in my situation ? Except changing the lay-out.. That's set.

If you guys need some additional graphs I'll be happy to provide them! Thank you so much in advance, since any comment is appreciated.

Have a wonderful day.

Attachments

• backwall.jpg
    backwall.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 36

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Surprised you received no responses. Skip the mirror. Don't worry about layout. Most of us have this issue. Problems occur under 300 hz. Sometimes assemetrical rooms are bass friendly.

Top Bottom