• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SONCOZ SGP1 Stereo Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 1.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 61 18.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 254 77.2%

• Total voters

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The other big positive is the idle noise. It's extremely low at around 25uV. It is this, plus the decent power output that gives the excellent S/N ratio you are seeing. You will not hear annoying hiss like you do with many of the Class Ds.

1693522038624.png

TK750

Looks great and measures great as well. Only thing I worry about is the age old reliability conundrum, saw a few complaints/issues when it first came out and then haven't heard anything at all (positive or negative) since then really. Hopefully the assurances they have given Amir are accurate about fixing the problems. It's well past the price range where I'm happy to take a risk and write it off if necessary and sending it back is likely to be fairly expensive due to size/weight I imagine. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't quite tempted though...

Michael Fidler

Audio Company
Always nice to see a well-executed 'blameless' class B amplifier in the wild. Voted great!

Reactions: pdb

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Unfortunately they dropped a lot from early prototype like bridge mode and unbalanced inputs. Would have been a even nicer little Pine Cone with those.
Wolf measured it last year.
Anyway If reliability turns out to be good it's a winner. There is a better price for it on HiFiGO of 970 $.

frabor

SMSP power supply and perfect specs in a AB. This is good and a refreshing addition to the AB land. Also, when it comes to longevity, assuming it does not self destruct in the first year, the boards look like highly serviceable.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the review, @amirm.

Small typo:
"I feel regret in not testing..."

Highvolt60

Output impedance/dampening factor Vs frequency would be nice to see in amp reviews.
Less important in the modern Class D since it is usually extremely low (Purify or Hypex for example).

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I asked the company about the 20 Hz response and I am told this was an issue with the loading of the switchmode power supply and it has since been fixed. Otherwise, performance is once again superb.

The 20Hz issue is disconcerting. I hope you'll have an opportunity to re-test a device that has been fixed.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The 20Hz issue is disconcerting. I hope you'll have an opportunity to re-test a device that has been fixed.
It is actually not that bad. It looks that way because the higher frequencies look so good.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
yeah the only worries are about reliability... both initial and running ie. long term

which shouldnt be the case in a $1,000+ unit

the original discussion thread details the teething issues which unforunately seems to be passed onto some customers

i'd love to hear their justifications for removing features in production models

but to me bridging isnt a big loss and neither is losing rca

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Voltage needed for max power -- can someone show the math for how this is calculated?
You can do the math but my values are experimental. I adjust that until I see the waveform clipped and report that.

Top Bottom