• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sonance DSP 2-150 Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 85 63.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters

GWolfman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If it weren’t for the heat and gain bug, AND if performance didn’t drop with DSP enabled, I might consider it for some installs. But unfortunately the latter is still an unknown.

Thanks Amir!

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I really think Topping should get into the DSP DAC/AMP business. MiniDSP needs a competitor!

jbrown

Forum Donor
Pretty sure this is NOT a MKII as the MKII units are clearly labeled as such on the front and back. Also the home page of the GUI lists the model # and firmware version. Does it say MKII on the GUI?

mga2009

Lots of Sonance Sonamp DSP for PARTS or AS IS on eBay... maybe there are not good quality?

jbrown

Forum Donor
Lots of Sonance Sonamp DSP for PARTS or AS IS on eBay... maybe there are not good quality?
The MKI amps all had issues. Sonance replaced a lot of them for free with MKIIs within the first few years, but they don't do that any more. The MKIs will periodically play a fun helicopter sound at high volume even if the system is off. MKIIs appear to be trouble-free.

ocinn

Not if it's not per channel.
It is. Manual

Screen Shot 2023-06-14 at 10.40.56 AM.png

mga2009

The MKI amps all had issues. Sonance replaced a lot of them for free with MKIIs within the first few years, but they don't do that any more. The MKIs will periodically play a fun helicopter sound at high volume even if the system is off. MKIIs appear to be trouble-free.
Good to know!

Sadly they look the same!

MKII: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...onance-dsp-2-150-mkii-amplifier-review.45556/
MKI: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...sonance-dsp-2-150-review-dsp-amplifier.26030/

Do we know which module is used in this amp? Maybe an HypeX OEM180LP?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for the review, @amirm.
Also thanks for giving us a taste of what the unit does out-of-band in your "wideband FFT showing the switching frequency"...

Seems like Sonance attempted to be a jack of both trades - DSP + PowerAmp - failed in the former but succeeded in the latter!

shuppatsu

It offends my sensibilities to go Digital Source -> Analog -> Digital -> DSP -> Analog, whether I can hear the difference or not.

It should be Digital Source -> DSP -> Analog. Change my mind.

jbrown

Forum Donor
Good to know!

Sadly they look the same!

MKII: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...onance-dsp-2-150-mkii-amplifier-review.45556/
MKI: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...sonance-dsp-2-150-review-dsp-amplifier.26030/

Do we know which module is used in this amp? Maybe an HypeX OEM180LP?
They do NOT look the same. I believe @amirm has been given a 2nd amp and told it was a MKII when in fact it is a MKI. See attached pictures for an actual MKII (courtesy of eBay).

Attachments

• s-l1600.png
    s-l1600.png
    435.7 KB · Views: 91
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 88
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
They do NOT look the same. I believe @amirm has been given a 2nd amp and told it was a MKII when in fact it is a MKI
That is exactly the case. We will have to wait for the owner to explain why he thought this was an updated unit. Regardless, we tested the analog input this time so if this is MKI, oddly analog input performs better!

mga2009

They do NOT look the same. I believe @amirm has been given a 2nd amp and told it was a MKII when in fact it is a MKI. See attached pictures for an actual MKII (courtesy of eBay).
Better yet!

Thanks for your info!

Hipster Doofus

Forum Donor
hi Amirm slow day today so i got my chat bot AI assistant to search out the best amp for SINAD and it returned this...big big brother is watching . next is which Bit coin i should use at the laundry mat.

As I mentioned earlier, there are many amplifiers with high SINAD values, and the best one for you would depend on your specific needs and preferences. One resource that might be helpful is the Amplifier SINAD list on the Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum . They have compiled a list of amplifiers with their SINAD values, which could help you compare different models. Is there a specific type of amplifier you’re looking for?

shuppatsu

Regardless, we tested the analog input this time so if this is MKI, oddly analog input performs better!
Wild. I bet the digital module was an afterthought, and for convenience they fed it into a DAC to be the same as an analog input.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are those 2 perforated squares on the front plate for internal fans? If not then what are they?

jbrown

Forum Donor
That is exactly the case. We will have to wait for the owner to explain why he thought this was an updated unit. Regardless, we tested the analog input this time so if this is MKI, oddly analog input performs better!
Maybe update the headline of the thread then?

jbrown

Forum Donor
Are those 2 perforated squares on the front plate for internal fans? If not then what are they?
The other models in the line have fans and the grilles serve as inlets. This is just the same industrial design aesthetic, but no fans on this one.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Upon my first look at the photo @amirm had posted; those two front-panel cut-outs looked about the correct size to fit two of those 'speakers' which come with the current crop of $2k TV sets.:oops:

jeffme

Forum Donor
This was me & I am highly embarrassed. I purchased this from eBay, where was described as a MK II and had it shipped directly to Amir for testing. Be careful out there... [:headless panther emoji:]

1686974068694.png

Top Bottom