• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sonance DSP 2-150 Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 85 63.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Sonance DSP 2-150 MKII distribution (stereo) amplifier. It was kindly purchased used by a member. It costs US $1,200 new and used about $900.
Sonance DSP 2 150 MKII analog review distortion amplifier.jpg

These amplifiers almost always get put in some rack and never seen again. So usually looks are not important but Sonance still worked to make the unit attractive which serves our hi-fi needs better. As the name indicates, there is a built-in DSP to implement filters and other processing. You access them using the web interface:
Sonance DSP 2 150 MKII Network DSP Settings.png

I like web interface but lacking an app to access the unit means you are on your own to find the IP address of the unit. Sadly there is no instructions on how to reset the IP address if you buy used. But searching online shows the process for it which I followed. Back panel shows the connections you need in this type of product:
Sonance DSP 2 150 MKII analog review distortion back panel amplifier.jpg

You not only have wired control but also the same using IP. Speaker terminals are Phoenix/Screw as is typical of this (custom integration) market.

Sonance does not say anything about the topology of the amplifier but I am pretty sure it is switching class D. Company claims 98% efficiency which goes against the high amount of heat this amplifier generates. In the middle on top and bottom it gets so hot that you can't keep your hands touching the case (my test for too much heat). I would highly advise using fans to keep the unit cooler.

During testing I found a rather serious bug. There are two trim pots in the front which you adjust for the gain using a screwdriver. These pots though seem to be digitized in software and used to program the amplifier gain. I say this because I set them to max to get the nominal 29 dB gain. However, a power cycle caused them to switch back to 17 dB! You had to rotate the gain pots again to get them to register. And even then, it was not consistent. Probably best to try to live with 17 dB gain than rely on the flaky gain setting otherwise. I looked but did not see a firmware upgrade to fix this (or any upgrade for that matter).

I previously tested the original Sonance DSP 2 150 which had only digital input and did not produce great results. Let's see if this version does better. And oh, member has sent me the digital input board but I thought I test it as is for now.

EDIT: while the owner thought he was buying a MKII (due to ebay listing), in reality what we have here is the standard unit. It is still good data since the last one I measured had digital input only and performance was worse there.

Sonance DSP 2-150 MKII Measurements

Let's start with our usual dashboard:
Sonance DSP 2 150 MKII analog Measurements.png

Noise and distortion as expressed in SINAD improves just enough to land the unit in our competent bucket of all amplifiers tested:
Best whole house dsp distribution amplifier review.png

Noise performance is not great at 5 watts but improves at full power:
Sonance DSP 2 150 MKII analog SNR Measurements.png

I was pleased to see no speaker load dependency in frequency response and 96 kHz sampling rate of internal ADC/DAC:
Sonance DSP 2 150 MKII Frequency Response Measurements.png

Multitone shows good level of distortion for the class:
Sonance DSP 2 150 MKII analog Multitone Measurements.png

Same for 19+20 kHz tones:
Sonance DSP 2 150 MKII analog 19 20 kHz IMD Distortion Measurements.png

Let's run our power measurements now:
Sonance DSP 2 150 MKII analog Power 4 ohm Measurements.png

Sonance DSP 2 150 MKII analog Max and Peak Power 4 ohm Measurements.png

Company spec is 200 watts which it is handily beating with 1% THD with good bit of headroom to boot.

Power naturally drops at 8 ohm:
Sonance DSP 2 150 MKII analog Power 8 ohm Measurements.png

There was some kind of power limiting here once it went into clipping.

Even though we have a switching amplifier here, response is very well behaved:
Sonance DSP 2 150 MKII analog frequency vs distortion Power 4 ohm Measurements.png

Here is our wideband FFT showing the switching frequency:
Sonance DSP 2 150 MKII analog FFT Measurements.png

There is likely to be a faint popping on/off sound:
Sonance DSP 2 150 MKII analog Power on off pop Measurements.png

Finally, the unit is stable on power up:
Sonance DSP 2 150 MKII Warm up Measurements.png

Conclusions
It is nice to have a compact amplifier (although it is quite deep) that has lots of power and DSP built-in. Performance is average which in some sense a relief as often these products are sold on specs only and so the results could have been much worse. $1,200 is not a bargain but these products are frequently pulled out of existing installs and sold fairly cheap. Finding one at those prices could net you a bargain.

Heat and gain bug are two rather significant negatives. You can mitigate the heat with ample airflow and/or a fan. The gain bug should be fixed by Sonance if they have any ability to do firmware upgrades.

I am going to recommend the Sonance DSP 2-150 MKII based on its measured performance and functionality. But not in full picture of noise and gain bug.

----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That's not too bad for a DSP amp. Sadly the DSP itself is very limited, making the number of use cases limited.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the review !
Company claims 98% efficiency which goes against the high amount of heat this amplifier generates.

Why not to integrate a measurement of power consumed at, say, 5W x2 output ?

That would give us a standardized idea of efficiency, with only one measurement.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I tend to not want to create extra work to do what anyone can do/measure. And even if I did that, someone would ask for another power points. Let me look to see if there is an automated way to do this....

wwenze

Major Contributor
Thanks for the review !

That would give us a standardized idea of efficiency, with only one measurement.
Idea yes, standardized no. The efficiency of an amp goes higher the closer it gets to full power, and consequently for the same output power the efficiency of different powered amps will be different. Mathematically true for class A / AB or anything that requires higher biasing voltage, while for class D there might be more quirks but you're still dealing with bigger transistors and voltages = more switching loss.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
@amirm Are you sure the the power cycling didn't just reset the input from variable to fixed?

It actually doesn't seem too bad of an amp for the purpose.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm Are you sure the the power cycling didn't just reset the input from variable to fixed?
Why would turning the trim pots get it back to where it was then?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Why would turning the trim pots get it back to where it was then?

Physical trim pots can either be inputs to an A/D or actual front end/amp attenuators. If they didn't move between one test and the next and yet the gain changed, it's either a routing (fixed/variable) thing or, something very strange like a default switched-in attenuator in DSP etc.

Anyway, I'm only postulating- you had the amp on your bench. :)

Ajax

Forum Donor
IMO better performing alternative for the same money is a minidsp flex or flex 8 (if you need more channels) combined with a buckeye hypex 252 or 502 (if you need more power).

Hipster Doofus

Forum Donor
Too bad it preforms so low on your list.
The dsp thing would have been nice.
STILL LOOKING FOR THAT SELF DRIVING STEREO THOUGH!

I know I have asked this before ( at 70 , things tend to go in one ear and out the other)

Am I cancelling out my good DAC ( Toppings ) by using Audyssey 32 on a used Denon ( as a pre-amp) then pitted to a PA5 in stereo mode so that I do not cancel out the EQ.??? In other words are my room EQ gains worth the loss of my good dac by sending it back into ( analog to digital conversion on the Denon.). I do perceive a nicer sound stage this way and all the instruments sound separate.

peniku8

Forum Donor
Thanks for the review !

Because an efficiency figure at 5W doesn't tell us anything about the amp really. It would be far more interesting to have the two figures: Idle power draw and efficiency at full power.

Top Bottom