• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sonance DSP 2-150 Review (DSP Amplifier)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Sonance DSP 2 150 amplifier with digital inputs and equalization capabilities. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $1075. While you can buy this in retail, bulk of Sonance's business is in Custom Integration (CI) space where it is installed as part of a more complete system. Connectivity and such is optimized for this use as opposed to consumer.

Note: I should know this but I don't. It is possible that our company, Madrona Digital, is a dealer for Sonance. So you are welcome to read bias into my subjective remarks.

The DSP 2 150 has an unusual shape of being narrow but super deep:

Sonance DSP 2-150 Review Custom Amplifier Digital.jpg

The picture is kind of deceiving. It is quite deep.

A single power button is all the controls you have. The needed to reset the unit as the owner had set it to static IP address which I did not know. There was no mention of how to do this in the manual. Fortunately a search showed the answer which was to set the left volume all the way to the left and right, you guessed it, all the way to the right.

Upon powering on it did indeed reset itself with DHCP being on which allowed it to get on my network. I was disappointed that I had to use an IP scanner to find its address rather than supporting multicast DNS or something similar so I could just use its name. Since you are likely to want to mess with the EQ more often, having to keep looking up the IP address is inconvenient.

Anyway, once you suffer through finding the device, you are greeted with a very speedy web interface with lots of control:
Sonance DSP 2-150 EQ Settings Custom Amplifier Digital.png

I was however disappointed that all settings are global. Unless you see it, I couldn't figure out how to have per-channel settings.

The back panel shows the special connectivity I mentioned:

Sonance DSP 2-150 Review Back panel Custom Amplifier Digital.jpg

Notice how there is only digital Toslink/Coax Input and Output. There are no analog inputs. The digital inputs are fed forward on the output ports.

After my testing, the top of the amplifier where the vents are in the center was quite warm. You better allow a lot of room for above it to cool. And don't put it on anything hot. Sadly in a lot of custom installs such luxuries don't exist so I worry about its reliability in such situations.

Sonance DSP 2-150 Measurements
There is no way to see the dials for the input gains so I just set them to something that "felt" right as far as gain:

Sonance DSP 2-150 Measurements Custom Amplifier Digital.png

Two things stand out. One is the timing mismatch between the two channels. We have seen this before in one or two other digital input amps so I wonder if they all share the same platform. There is a delay setting in the EQ pane of the control page but per my intro, I couldn't figure out how to apply it to one channel only. And this is assuming that the delay is fixed which may not be (may be a sample mismatch).

The second problem is the awful spectrum of the signal. It is one thing to have the two harmonic peaks but what is all that grunge around them?

SINAD which ignores those irregularities for the most part is below average at 75 dB:

Best DSP amplifier review.png

At first, I measured the signal to noise ratio using traditional methods for analog input amplifiers:
Sonance DSP 2-150 SNR Measurements Custom Amplifier Digital.png

Then I realized since there is a DAC in front of the amp, perhaps I use use dynamic range measurements which don't let the DAC mute to get better response. Here is that result:
Sonance DSP 2-150 DNR Measurements Custom Amplifier Digital.png

So a bit lower but not a lot. Results are pretty good overall so this should be a quiet amplifier.

When I first reset the unit, the EQ panel showed a bass boost. Strange that this is so post factory reset. Anyway, after that, here is the response:

Sonance DSP 2-150 Frequency Response Measurements Custom Amplifier Digital.png

Response at 44.1 kHz was just as flat but cut off much sooner naturally (not shown).

Here is our multitone:
Sonance DSP 2-150 Multitone Measurements Custom Amplifier Digital.png

I am puzzled by the high noise floor and rising noise level at mid frequencies. The former is in conflict with the SNR/DNR measurements so perhaps there is a problem where noise floor is substantially shifted up when more than one tone is input.

Crosstalk is nothing to write home about but not bad enough to complain too much:

Sonance DSP 2-150 Crosstalk Measurements Custom Amplifier Digital.png

Here is our power into 4 ohm:
Sonance DSP 2-150 Power into 4 ohm Measurements Custom Amplifier Digital.png

Yet another puzzle. Normally we are noise limited at lower power levels so the graph slopes down. Here it is almost flat indicating a constant noise or distortion in play. Again our DNR/SNR was very clean so this has to be constant distortion/spurious tones of some sort.

Anyway, I got 161 watts which is well shy of company spec of 300 watts. If I pushed the amp any further protection circuit would kick in. Same problem stopped me from getting max power but peak power did work:

Sonance DSP 2-150 Peak Power into 4 ohm Measurements Custom Amplifier Digital.png

So maybe it can get to 300 watts but not with constant tones.

Switching to 8 ohm load we get a similar response except that the distortion level rises slowly as if there is some kind of limiter:
Sonance DSP 2-150 Power into 8 ohm Measurements Custom Amplifier Digital.png

But if there is a limiter, why didn't it do that for 4 ohm???

Finally, here is our response at different frequencies:
Sonance DSP 2-150 THD+N vs Power vs Frequency Measurements Custom Amplifier Digital.png

Puzzle after puzzle....

Conclusions
Hmmm. What does this net out to? Below average distortion levels. Some kind of bug in channel processing. Good packaging. Good DSP capabilities that don't work on per channel basis. Seems like the whole design needs a proper evaluation and clean up across the board.

I can't recommend the Sonance DSP 2-150. Too much irregularities for my taste despite the fact that I really like the idea of an amplifier with DSP in it.

----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

rammster

I wonder what engineering steps and solutions of the manufacturer have such impact on obviously too bad noise level.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Can't you assign a different preset to a channel here?
1629791470755.png

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Can't you assign a different preset to a channel here?
View attachment 149239
I can't quite tell. If you look at this section down further:

1629791658685.png

It seems to be one preset for both channels. You can name the channels differently in what you showed but I don't think that works for EQ. Maybe the owner knows.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is quite impressive! Low noise, impressive amount of power, and great functionality.

Does it support volume control via a remote? How does the input matrix work? it says one input at a time.

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The manual seems to imply EQ can be different between channels:
1629792592937.png

The measurements are quite bad, it also does not receive a recommendation, but why doesn't the panther not lose their heads? :D

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The measurements are quite bad, it also does not receive a recommendation, but why doesn't the panther not lose their heads? :D
It's bad but not that bad lol.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Sonance DSP 2 150 amplifier with digital inputs and equalization capabilities. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $1075. While you can buy this in retail, bulk of Sonance's business is in Custom Integration (CI) space where it is installed as part of a more complete system. Connectivity and such is optimized for this use as opposed to consumer.

Note: I should know this but I don't. It is possible that our company, Madrona Digital, is a dealer for Sonance. So you are welcome to read bias into my subjective remarks.

The DSP 2 150 has an unusual shape of being narrow but super deep:

View attachment 149202

The picture is kind of deceiving. It is quite deep.

A single power button is all the controls you have. The needed to reset the unit as the owner had set it to static IP address which I did not know. There was no mention of how to do this in the manual. Fortunately a search showed the answer which was to set the left volume all the way to the left and right, you guessed it, all the way to the right.

Upon powering on it did indeed reset itself with DHCP being on which allowed it to get on my network. I was disappointed that I had to use an IP scanner to find its address rather than supporting multicast DNS or something similar so I could just use its name. Since you are likely to want to mess with the EQ more often, having to keep looking up the IP address is inconvenient.

Anyway, once you suffer through finding the device, you are greeted with a very speedy web interface with lots of control:
View attachment 149205

I was however disappointed that all settings are global. Unless you see it, I couldn't figure out how to have per-channel settings.

The back panel shows the special connectivity I mentioned:

View attachment 149203

Notice how there is only digital Toslink/Coax Input and Output. There are no analog inputs. The digital inputs are fed forward on the output ports.

After my testing, the top of the amplifier where the vents are in the center was quite warm. You better allow a lot of room for above it to cool. And don't put it on anything hot. Sadly in a lot of custom installs such luxuries don't exist so I worry about its reliability in such situations.

Sonance DSP 2-150 Measurements
There is no way to see the dials for the input gains so I just set them to something that "felt" right as far as gain:

View attachment 149204

Two things stand out. One is the timing mismatch between the two channels. We have seen this before in one or two other digital input amps so I wonder if they all share the same platform. There is a delay setting in the EQ pane of the control page but per my intro, I couldn't figure out how to apply it to one channel only. And this is assuming that the delay is fixed which may not be (may be a sample mismatch).

The second problem is the awful spectrum of the signal. It is one thing to have the two harmonic peaks but what is all that grunge around them?

SINAD which ignores those irregularities for the most part is below average at 75 dB:

View attachment 149206

At first, I measured the signal to noise ratio using traditional methods for analog input amplifiers:
View attachment 149209

Then I realized since there is a DAC in front of the amp, perhaps I use use dynamic range measurements which don't let the DAC mute to get better response. Here is that result:
View attachment 149210

So a bit lower but not a lot. Results are pretty good overall so this should be a quiet amplifier.

When I first reset the unit, the EQ panel showed a bass boost. Strange that this is so post factory reset. Anyway, after that, here is the response:

View attachment 149211

Response at 44.1 kHz was just as flat but cut off much sooner naturally (not shown).

Here is our multitone:
View attachment 149212

I am puzzled by the high noise floor and rising noise level at mid frequencies. The former is in conflict with the SNR/DNR measurements so perhaps there is a problem where noise floor is substantially shifted up when more than one tone is input.

Crosstalk is nothing to write home about but not bad enough to complain too much:

View attachment 149216

Here is our power into 4 ohm:
View attachment 149213

Yet another puzzle. Normally we are noise limited at lower power levels so the graph slopes down. Here it is almost flat indicating a constant noise or distortion in play. Again our DNR/SNR was very clean so this has to be constant distortion/spurious tones of some sort.

Anyway, I got 161 watts which is well shy of company spec of 300 watts. If I pushed the amp any further protection circuit would kick in. Same problem stopped me from getting max power but peak power did work:

View attachment 149214

So maybe it can get to 300 watts but not with constant tones.

Switching to 8 ohm load we get a similar response except that the distortion level rises slowly as if there is some kind of limiter:
View attachment 149215

But if there is a limiter, why didn't it do that for 4 ohm???

Finally, here is our response at different frequencies:
View attachment 149217

Puzzle after puzzle....

Conclusions
Hmmm. What does this net out to? Below average distortion levels. Some kind of bug in channel processing. Good packaging. Good DSP capabilities that don't work on per channel basis. Seems like the whole design needs a proper evaluation and clean up across the board.

I can't recommend the Sonance DSP 2-150. Too much irregularities for my taste despite the fact that I really like the idea of an amplifier with DSP in it.

----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

The harmonics does not exactly match up to the fundamental, strange?

PeteL

Major Contributor
I wonder what engineering steps and solutions of the manufacturer have such impact on obviously too bad noise level.
Noise is not bad at all, In fact the amp part may be actually nice but we will not know since everything go trough the DAC. That distortion tough, Intuitively I think something is wrong in the DSP chain, amps don't behave like that, calculation errors can be distortion that is not fully "harmonic" and there is a fair bit of that.
@amirm you said by resetting the unit there was a bass boost. To get it off did you just reset the EQ or is there a way to completely "disengage" DSP completely? If so was the first FFT measurement done with as the Unit is turned on? with some EQ applied (not at 1K but still going trough a DSP algorithm.)

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir mentioned crosstalk is nothing to complain about, but at -60 dB at 10k isn’t that dangerously close to audible? At high volume that could diminish soundstage, couldn’t it?

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir mentioned crosstalk is nothing to complain about, but at -60 dB at 10k isn’t that dangerously close to audible? At high volume that could diminish soundstage, couldn’t it?

Regarding crosstalk, isn't that in fact SNR if signals that are playing in the two channels are uncorrelated?

peniku8

Forum Donor
I'd much rather get a Hypex FA252 and mount it into a wooden box. Not as pretty, but you'll get more power, better dsp, better audio performance and analogue inputs for half the cost.
In fact, I did exactly that (but with a rack case) with two FA123 for a lab amp for speaker testing:

gORqqgH.jpg

d01DFGk.jpg

I'm ready to get roasted by you guys on what I could've done better :p

GWolfman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Too bad it misses the mark, this could've been a great niche product.

Chris M

I love my Aragon 4004 MK2 vintage amplifier. Loudspeakers have come and gone but this amplifier in connection with the matching preamplifier Aragon 24k ips has made me happy since 1995. This is my audio standard. And if it has to be DSP, Moodeaudio or Equalizer APO is helpful for me. Sometimes I wonder what 'developers' develope other than their own bank account. Okay, except for Benchmark Audio and Tom CR and a few others. Nobody needs such devices.

Top Bottom