• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sonance DSP 2-150 Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 85 63.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Knowing for similar performing class AB with similar performance and functionality, with great build quality and twice the power at half the price I had to vote pore (all do it's definitely in not bad category). Check out Dynacord LXXXXFD lineups, I whose alluding on L1300FD starting model which is capable to deliver 220W @ 8 Ohms relatively clean and can be found for 600~700€.
Unfortunately to my better knowledge they are EU only.

hyfynut

That's not too bad for a DSP amp. Sadly the DSP itself is very limited, making the number of use cases limited.
The dsp included with these is completely acceptable for it's use case and product category. What did you find it lacking?

Toslink

Forum Donor
I'm the original DSP 2-150 amplifier owner who sent in the amp that was tested and posted here. I also work in the custom installation field and can attest to one of the previous posters who mentioned that Sonance quickly replaced this original model with the MKII version that addressed all of the failure modes of the original design. The new version has a solid top and cooling fans on the sides of the case that actively draw air through the chassis. We saw a number of failures due to heating on the original design and these issues were fully resolved in the MKII.

Additionally, when I sent the amplifier in for testing, it had the digital input card installed and the analog card in the shipping box. I wanted him to have both for testing, but I didn't state that in writing and Amir didn't see the analog card until after he'd completed testing and writing up the review. This test likely shows what we'd have seen with my amp had the analog card been used.

Despite not reaching the ranks of the better amplifiers tested on the site, I use the Sonance DSP line of amplifiers regularly and can say they offer excellent performance in distributed audio and 70v (using their DSP 2-750 MKII amp) applications. My hope is when the amplifiers are updated, we'll see a few newer features, such as firmware updating through the UI, but, again, the amplifiers are quite solid and even offer IP and IR control, which allows for some very creative installation possibilities that are not needed in standard residential 2-channel applications.

Last edited:
Why would turning the trim pots get it back to where it was then?
@restorer-john I know I'm beyond late to this party, but I think I've cracked the answer. In the IN/OUT tab of the Sonance settings, there are options for both "Output Volume" and "Turn On Volume". According to Sonance (in this part of their tutorial video), the unit will default to the latter anytime it is turned off and on again.

Perhaps when Amir was testing the unit these numbers weren't both changed to the same value?

Top Bottom