• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sold Out - Revel Salon2 New Stock w/ full warranty $12k plus shipping

How many subs w/ your Salons?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If the subwoofer driver only need to cover to 63 Hz, per ANSI/CTA-2010-B, it is acceptable to have a maximum HD2 of -15 dB.

If it has to cover to 160 Hz, the threshold tightens to -24 dB. That means, if the driver has to reproduce both frequencies bands, the "bottleneck" is the 80-160 Hz octave HD+noise limit of -24 dB. It cannot run the <63 Hz frequencies to levels that produces -15 dB of HD2, since if it does that it will cause the >80 Hz frequencies to distort beyond the acceptable limit of -24 dB.

View attachment 299854
Hello again. I have now read the standard ANSI-CTA-2010-B-R-2020 and I understand where my confusion is.

The chart above is the threshold of hearing the superius noise generated when the subwoofer is generating tones. You measure the subwoofer and then compare to the values on the chart above.

We have not yet measured the Salon 2, nor the subwoofer intend to replace it.

We do not know if the noise Salon2 generates is above the thresholds! We have not measured the subwoofer that is used by the member who recently purchased a pair of Salon2 either. How can we know that at 20Hz, it generates more noise than Salon2 does?

OP
Astoneroad

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How do you cross over between Salon2 and the sub? (What is LP?)
Crossover is set in the app, currently at 40 Hz. Can you suggest a preferred setting? "LP" is Listening Position, sorry.

1689690847380.jpeg

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Crossover is set in the app, currently at 40 Hz. Can you suggest a preferred setting? "LP" is Listening Position, sorry.

View attachment 299970
I assume that is the app for the sub? In which case you are not "crossing" over between Salon2 and the sub but just augmenting Salon2 with a sub. A crossover means, as the word's description to have a high-pass filter to cut the low frequencies for the Salin2 and a low pass filter to cut the highs of the sub. When both filters are are set to the same frequency the combined frequency will be flat.

In your case you are adding more bass to the room and possibly that is what makes you happy. Unless you measure the final frequency response we can never know. BUT, as you are happy, stop reading and continue listening music with a grin on your face :)

OP
Astoneroad

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
BUT, as you are happy, stop reading and continue listening music with a grin on your face :)
I'm a cave dwelling recluse... "reading and grinning" are in the Mission Statement... and not mutually exclusive... lol :)

1689708485532.png

Last edited:

Sashoir

Forum Donor
Ok... I moved the needle as far as I could. I inflated the tires on the hand truck to handle their max capacity of 300 lbs. This load is about 180 and it only needs to go 20 ft. It's ready and waiting for the muscle to arrive on Monday. I spent the week changing the room and getting ready. I'm ready. If you can't seize these moments... which ones can you?

View attachment 297790View attachment 297791
It's nice to see someone so excited. Much joy to you.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just found a great deal on a matching sub (Martin Logan Dynamo 1100x), so I'll wait to get that before I run my first measurement. I was considering stacking them and placing them between the speakers, like the single one is in the pics, althouigh a bit further back to line up with the towers. (Waiting for wire to be delivered.) This sub can be configured to fire down or front. I have it currently facing front. I like the way that this pushes air into my face when an explosion of drums erupts. My thinking that, with a stack, they would be more aligned with my ears, making this effect more prominent, if not accurate.

My question is, prior to measuring, should I stack these, or place each to the outside of the Salons? Is it worth to measure both configurations, or is the stack going to be obviously problematic? Thanks.
Two Comments:

1) If you are going to use subs, I strongly recommend using a high pass filter for the main speakers ( So strongly that I'd recommend skipping the subs if you don't)
2) Those subs are not sufficient for the Revel Salons, I'd recommend something like 2 of these as a minimum: https://www.rythmikaudio.com/E15.html

BTW, I do use 2 subs with my Salon 2's and I think it's worth it if done right. If I had a bit more space I would consider the 18" Rythmik subs.

OP
Astoneroad

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just unplugged the sub. After digesting the interesting input... I've decided that the path of least resistance (no sub) may not yield the optimum sound... however the time saved can be spent listening, rather than chasing a future of multi tiered paths to subwoofer Nirvana... I'm gonna keep it simple. The fact is that I just haven't spent enough time with the Salons. I'm still on the sugar rush of the whole experience. So, rather than listening without a sub in smatterings and forming a mercurial opinion... I'm going to put it (the sub, not my opinion) in a box for a month or 12 and listen to the magnificent engineering that I paid for. I'm almost certain it will suck... lol.

OP
Astoneroad

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well... as a big believer in "out of sight... out of mind"... the aforementioned Martin Logan sub is up for sale... CHEAP... lol. There's something liberating about reducing the amount of boxes that don't serve the purpose for which they were once purchased. My dilemma... your gain. Dynamo 1100x $599

sprellemannen

Forum Donor
Well... as a big believer in "out of sight... out of mind"... the aforementioned Martin Logan sub is up for sale... CHEAP... lol. There's something liberating about reducing the amount of boxes that don't serve the purpose for which they were once purchased. My dilemma your gain. Dynamo 1100x $599
I have never felt a need for subwoofers for the Salon2's, and I agree in what you say about reducing the amount of boxes.

OP
Astoneroad

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm There is something strange/wrong with the voting system: The sum is 107.1%.

View attachment 300222
That's the observer effect... just like quantum physics... the number doesn't make itself known until observed... lol. Other than that... you'll have to take it up with the Moderators (or Heisenberg). Being off by 7.1% isn't a good look for a site based upon measurements!!! :facepalm:

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Even at this reduced price point, there are other compelling options worth considering such as the dutch and dutch 8c, perlisten r7t or KEF R11 Meta + great subs. Each has its own pros and cons but they're all excellent options IMO.
Dutch 8C is my end game stereo speaker for the home

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm There is something strange/wrong with the voting system: The sum is 107.1%.

View attachment 300222
The poll is setup to allow members to put in up to two votes. This causes the total to not add up to 100% then. I don't know why that was done by OP as no combination makes sense here.

OP
Astoneroad

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The poll is setup to allow members to put in up to two votes. This causes the total to not add up to 100% then. I don't know why that was done by OP as no combination makes sense here.
It won't allow me to correct it to a single vote now... won't make that mistake twice... :facepalm:... hopefully... lol.

poopy

What's the point this thread anyway? Someone purchasing something? So amazing... Get a life man

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What's the point this thread anyway? Someone purchasing something? So amazing... Get a life man
LoL. Not just anything purchased. These are Revel Salon 2s. ~$25K speakers that are highly rated.

poopy

LoL. Not just anything purchased. These are Revel Salon 2s. ~$25K speakers that are highly rated.
OK I see your point. However my car is way more expensive and I haven't opened a thread for that... So do people paying tution fees just getting to university

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
However my car is way more expensive
This is not a automotive website but we do have a cars section for that too.
So do people paying tution fees just getting to university
I took out a student loan which I paid for in full. That was a glorious day that I walked in with a money order and paid it off 100%. We should start a student loans thread now that you mention that. It's a very important step for many peeps and would be a great thread with lotsa neat info I think. :D

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP just got himself a pair of one of the most highly regarded loudspeakers at a good price, is ecstatic about it, and is sharing his experience with the rest of (the less fortunate) us. At least in this aspect, OP is living a splendid life. Now, you, on the other hand, seems to be unable to be happy for other people. You got a life?

Top Bottom