• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 MKII Review (DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 35 13.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 207 82.1%

• Total voters

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not enhanced or optimized . . .

Black on white:

View attachment 175611

White on black:

View attachment 175612

Nice! Some thoughts.

The number of digits for the volume is correct? Two decimals? RME has one decimal. Can't it go beyond 99? It's better not to change the position of digits to avoid confusions, so float right for instance and let it grow from right to left.

Why not a tuple "Format" "Bitrate" "Sample rate" "Bit depth" at the bottom?

Another point would be if the average user will understand what is what, without units and icons. Perhaps dB for the volume...

What are the possible values of the "HPA" slot? If it has two modes, DAC and Headphone Amplifier, since in DAC mode the volume is fixed, perhaps I would change the volume for "DAC only" in that case, and otherwise there is no need to show "HPA" and you gain room for icons or anything. I say this because it's not clear that how each mode is called has any importance, and what is important is what it does.

I would also reduce a bit the size of the volume value to ensure is readable from some distance, but some test would tell what is better. Some sing that a value has been changed in the last seconds would also be very nice to ensure the user knows what is doing. Perhaps a change in color. What do you think?

Last edited:

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not a designer, but this is so fun...

This would be omitting the filter. Personally, I'm not so sure the filter is so important. If it must be included, I would show only the active input and the filter at the top. The change filter screen would be the same as the original with adapted colors and font.

Not sure if "DAC" is the best word, but "DAC mode" seemed worse.

smsl_design.png

Last edited:

Xyrium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've been waiting for this one. Very nice showing for SMSL on this, and I hope reliability/support matches the performance!

JEntwistle

Forum Donor
So we are at the point now that there are so many excellent desktop DACs and amps that you can safely choose not only on features, but also on form factor.

I wonder if they had to deal with any heat issues with the inputs/outputs above the power supply in a small space - maybe not at headphone amp power levels?

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does "Chinese HiFi" include Matrix Audio?

I'm tired of your stereotypes and racism.

You've heard this here first folks, critique of design choices is now apparently racism. Damn.

ac3dtsthx

I just don't get the vote response of some members. Still 4 persons says it's a bad product? It's clear as day that it is a superior product!

Zensō

Major Contributor
Nice. This appears to be one of the best all-in-ones in this price range.

I wonder when we'll see something similar to this from SMSL or Topping but with on-board DSP to compete with the RME ADI-2 DAC fs. Seems like only a matter of time...

Last edited:

beagleman

Major Contributor
I just don't get the vote response of some members. Still 4 persons says it's a bad product? It's clear as day that it is a superior product!
Yeah I mean, its tough to tell if they think it is truly "poor" or maybe, do not like how it looks, or think it lacks value.

I was one of the ones that ranked it as "Fine" based on what I believe to be a somewhat high price for what it is.

Reason being, if something else came along that did the same, but cost say $250-300....I would rank that as "Great"

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How long are the Japanese companies on the US/EU market? You can't buy decades of experience. Then again, the first 1-2 decades of Japanese audio equipment were in the age when making fonts and such was largely manual, which kind of enforced more diligence IMHO.
Certainly, some companies, regardless of the country, will be better, also design-wise, than others. BTW I'm no genius ;)
I know from working on them that the early Datsun (Nissan) 240Z had some interesting translation issues in their manuals.

Toku

Major Contributor
I know from working on them that the early Datsun (Nissan) 240Z had some interesting translation issues in their manuals.
I am very happy to hear the name of Datsun (Nissan) 240Z. It was in the 1970s.
Nissan is still alive, but many Japanese audio makers are on the verge of disappearing.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir, please now include preamp.section test
How would I test it? Note that the 50 mv output is using the internal volume control to reduce level.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Might make a nice generator for testing...
Indeed. I don't think electrical engineers know that these DACs can produce such superbly clean signals. With high sample rates they support, they can go pretty high in frequency as well.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Though I hope we had output impedance measured, as that's the only thing missing (along with unbalanced performance not actually shown due to XLR performance graph being used).
The output impedance is negligible. You can tell by how much power it produces at 32 ohm vs 300 ohm. If it was anything significant, it would lose fair bit of power when lowering the load.

D

Deleted member 27254

Serifs and sans-serifs on one and the same panel looks more than just strange. They simply don't get the clue. Wondering why they did not also include semi-serifs with only upper or down serifs on the same panel.

@amirm: No more testing of Chinese Hifi without a certificate saying they paid a designer or whatever the right name for such a job description is. ASR needs to teach them in that respect.
Agree completely. The typography on many Chinese products (plus packaging and manuals) is butt-ugly.

JackStraw5877

Does "Chinese HiFi" include Matrix Audio?

I'm tired of your stereotypes and racism.
OK you’re getting called out on this one…

Lumping products (“HiFi”) manufactured in a specific country of origin (“Chinese”) together by designating them “Chinese Hifi” is not racism. Not. At. All.

If I described Benchmark, Vandersteen, Klipsch, etc. together by the short hand “American Hifi”… would that be considered “racism”.

Accusing someone of being racist based off of such an innocuous comment such as this is incendiary, irresponsible, and reprehensible. You should be ashamed.

staticV3

Master Contributor
OK you’re getting called out on this one…

Lumping products (“HiFi”) manufactured in a specific country of origin (“Chinese”) together by designating them “Chinese Hifi” is not racism. Not. At. All.

If I described Benchmark, Vandersteen, Klipsch, etc. together by the short hand “American Hifi”… would that be considered “racism”.

Accusing someone of being racist based off of such an innocuous comment such as this is incendiary, irresponsible, and reprehensible. You should be ashamed.
I think it was more the part where Nango demanded that no more Chinese products be tested without a special certificate and that the Chinese need to be educated by ASR.
That and a history of similar posts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom