• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL D12 DAC & Headphone Amp Review

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 17 9.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 100 55.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 60 33.5%

• Total voters

tbob22

Does anyone know if it's possible to use Bluetooth and the USB input simultaneously on this unit?

pmar4015

I tell ya I had one hell of a time figuring out how to achieve output when using the SMSL D12 connected to my Mac Mini M1. I must have read the instructions 5 times to no avail. I finally stumbled upon a setting (purely by luck) using the included remote control that solved the problem. Apparently, the default mode is L-0 and in order to achieve output with the headphones I am using (i.e. OneOdio Studio 10) L-0 must be changed to H-0. As such, does anyone know what aforementioned settings mean/are for......again, I couldn't any mention in the instructions?

Also, there is a setting to change G-H/G-L; I have tried both modes and cannot discern a difference but out of curiosity does anyone know what this setting means as well?

Thanks

staticV3

Master Contributor
Apparently, the default mode is L-0 and in order to achieve output with the headphones I am using (i.e. OneOdio Studio 10) L-0 must be changed to H-0. As such, does anyone know what aforementioned settings mean/are for......again, I couldn't any mention in the instructions?
L-O = Line Out
H-O = Headphone Out

Also, there is a setting to change G-H/G-L; I have tried both modes and cannot discern a difference but out of curiosity does anyone know what this setting means as well?
G-L = Gain Low
G-H = Gain High

This setting determines the gain of the built-in headphone Amp.
High Gain will give you higher maximum volume.

Anonymous One

As I'm new to the forum, first I'd like to say hello... so hello to everyone:)

I was interested in the D12 model but I have one question for you, I wanted to buy a D12 which costs €125 in Europe for the PS5 console, but now you can get a C200 on Amazon with a discount coupon for €164. If the C200 does not work under the console, I still have the option of connecting it to the TV, which option do you think is more profitable? d12 supposedly has newer chips, but will it be that noticeable?
Thx for your help

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
G-L = Gain Low
G-H = Gain High
Every "Gain" stage always comes with its own complexities; in the form of unwanted/undesired (noise, distortion, etc.) effects on the intentional signal being amplified.
"Gain High" makes all such complexities exponentially "higher".:mad:

Nutul

Does anyone know if it's possible to use Bluetooth and the USB input simultaneously on this unit?
Some time passed...

I smell karaoke...
I believe that is not possible, after all it's just having 2 inputs at the same time; I haven't heard of any DAC/AMP allowing for that.
Use a mixer/DAW on your PC. Or an audio interface, like a MOTU M2, or a Focusrite 2i2

Brahmabull

Has anyone tried powering this with a separate USB power source? Currently just using the USB in for power and input. Sounds fine, but wondering if I should go separate??

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone tried powering this with a separate USB power source? Currently just using the USB in for power and input. Sounds fine, but wondering if I should go separate??
That will depend on the "DC 5V In" supply that you are feeding it with:
202401_SMSL-D12juice.jpg

:)

staticV3

Master Contributor
Meaning use something less than 10W?
Your power supply should be able to supply 10W or more, to ensure that current won't be a limiting factor.

If your power supply can supply 300W+, then that's fine as well.
The D12 will only draw as much current as it needs.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think you can pick-up one of those Kill-A-Watt wall socket plug-ins for under $20.
It will tell you exactly how much you are drawing from the wall power (Volts/Amps/Watts/Wh, etc.).
But one of the least discussed feature is the PowerFactor (PF) read-out of that meter.
It is never discussed when talks turn to AC-MAINs connected power converting gizmos.
...If your power supply can supply 300W+, then that's fine as well.
Generally, such use may not be recommended (depending on the type/Class of amplification); but (similar to PF reading) conversion efficiency, cost of electricity, and environmental impact may need due consideration.;)

Top Bottom