• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 MKII Review (DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 35 13.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 206 82.1%

• Total voters

Nango

Major Contributor
Very nice unit, but it's going to have tough competition in the Topping EX5 which is cheaper and fits better into a shelf:

View attachment 175725
This chipset ES9038Q2M is the low cost real cheap option intended for all kind of portable gear and dongles for little money, it was not intended for desktop gear, unless you want to build and sell desktop 'appearance' (and prices!!!) using low cost components which became very common recently among certain mfr from far east.

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This chipset ES9038Q2M is the low cost real cheap option intended for all kind of portable gear and dongles for little money, it was not intended for desktop gear, unless you want to build and sell desktop 'appearance' (and prices!!!) using low cost components which became very common recently among certain mfr.
The proof is in the performance.

GeekyBastard

This chipset ES9038Q2M is the low cost real cheap option intended for all kind of portable gear and dongles for little money, it was not intended for desktop gear, unless you want to build and sell desktop 'appearance' (and prices!!!) using low cost components which became very common recently among certain mfr from far east.
Oops, someone was acting cynical again.

Nobody forced you to buy anything, people can see the price to performance ratio for themselves, and I think the market reaction were quite self-explanatory, it's the performance that does the talk, feel free to buy much more expensive yet worse performance products from other manufactures.

There's no other product on the market can provide “desktop 'appearance' (and prices!!!) using low cost components” yet achieve fairly perfect performance at that price point, so what's your point?

It's interesting that while you “blame” a certain manufacture, you always have a tendency of pointing out that it's from a specific geographic region, I think pointing out that you're biased and racist is quite redundant now.

Fernando

Forum Donor
With a fat eq it would be a best seller!

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I wish they made these products more fun. They've been nailing the performance for a while now, so why not focus on some distinguishing features instead? Custom themes for the screen, upload your own JPGs, VU meter animations, waveform visualizers, AIDA64 support for the screen, so you can use the screen to see PC stats/sensor data through monitoring software. Customizable aRGB? :D

Nango

Major Contributor
It's interesting that while you “blame” a certain manufacture, you always have a tendency of pointing out that it's from a specific geographic region.
Yes, it's a New phenomenon we can observe in the audio world recently practically at 100% coming from that region from newcomer brand names. It is like it is. Never seen so much audio Mfr putting components intended for other range of products like portables into desktop range. And if a computer Mfr put mobile components into desktop products in order to achieve cost savings .... what is wrong in critizing that? It has been done all the time. I think you are not able to deal with well founded criticism.

Georgrig

Yes, it's a New phenomenon we can observe in the audio world recently practically at 100% coming from that region from newcomer brand names. It is like it is. Never seen so much audio Mfr putting components intended for other range of products like portables into desktop range. And if a computer Mfr put mobile components into desktop products in order to achieve cost savings .... what is wrong in critizing that? It has been done all the time. I think you are not able to deal with criticism.
What kind of pointless argument is this? If one can achieve more while reducing costs, the merrier. It's called engineering.

I don't know why I'm bothering to reply to you. You are a certified troll invoked only in Chinese product reviews. Thanks for making this forum more toxic /s

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wish they made these products more fun. They've been nailing the performance for a while now, so why not focus on some distinguishing features instead? Custom themes for the screen, upload your own JPGs, VU meter animations, waveform visualizers, AIDA64 support for the screen, so you can use the screen to see PC stats/sensor data through monitoring software. Customizable aRGB? :D
ODD, I don't watch my stereo or play it like a video game for entertainment, I listen to it. Never even thought of things like those you mention (except perhaps VU meters but not the animated type). Are these things becoming important? What do they have to do with audio?

reddeath

Can we get a review of how the DAC sounds - human impression of musicality? And with comparison to MK 1? I am interested in comparison of the frequency response of the headphone amps in both version.

GeekyBastard

Never seen so much audio Mfr putting components intended for other range of products like portables into desktop range.
And did they overcharge you for that? Did they hide the fact that they chose that budget chip/part? Or did the products' performance suck because of that?

The answer is no, they gave the market a good performance device within reasonable price range.

So what's the problem? If you want premium parts, pay for premium parts, it's that easy, it seems like you don't quite grasp how "price" works, you can't just ask for high-end premium parts and only pay budget price, it only exists in your fever dreams.

Nango

Major Contributor
Being an engineer myself, I'll stick to my definition.
I really can't see where the 'genius' (from engineer) is in putting components Q2M inside a desktop machine being Q2M the low power version of their flagship chipset ES9038PRO intended for portables etc and as such with severe problems in handling 192khz which requires higher 'number crunching' resources. Frankly speaking, it is quite the opposite of my definition for 'engineering'.

This board btw is in the mkt since 2018 and cost in 2018 on ebay 30-40$. Now put it three yrs later into a desktop format, ask 10x the price and call it 'engineering'. Perfect!

You won't see that 'engineering' at Matrix Audio as this mfr represents Excellence. But you will see it regularly tested here from Topping and SMSL. That's it.

Last edited:

GeekyBastard

This board btw is in the mkt since 2018 and cost in 2018 on ebay 30-40$. Now put it 2022 into a desktop format, ask 10x the price and call it 'engineering'. Perfect!
Oh my, so you had your own brand and could sell us the same performance product as Topping/SMSL with just 40$? That's awesome! Shop link when?:facepalm:

I would argue with trolls, but not crazy people, this argument with you seems fruitless.

GeekyBastard

The answer is Yes, see above, read the web.
I'd love to, but your "argument" seems pale and weak compares to the market and user's response, feel free to live in your bubble and continue trolling about Chinese products.:)

GeekyBastard

I told you, on ebay, since 2018, for 30-40$. None so blind as those who will not see.
Please provide link towards this magical product that contains the same function, performance, and design as Topping/SMSL's products.

I'm starting to get some second hand embarrassment now.:facepalm:

Top Bottom