• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 DAC and HP Amp Review

niekos

The was another USB firmware update above that which has disappeared.
Yes indeed, so it is not me :)
Let's see what update will be available. How can I check what usb software version I currently have? I see in system info SW 1.5 and HW 1.2, does this also reflect the usb firware update verision?

MusicNBeer

Forum Donor
Let's see what update will be available. How can I check what usb software version I currently have? I see in system info SW 1.5 and HW 1.2, does this also reflect the usb firware update verision?
Good question. No idea. I did the USB update before it disappeared and my HW/SW versions stayed the same.

strangeskies

If you're using Windows, search for "XMOS USB DAC driver control panel". Open the control panel and click on the "info" tab. You should see a field "Revision" in the table below which details which driver version you have installed.

niekos

Yep, that is what is shown in system info, see attachment.

Attachments

• 648983E5-90CE-478B-B7F1-3884C18337B8.jpeg
    648983E5-90CE-478B-B7F1-3884C18337B8.jpeg
    46.9 KB · Views: 258

niekos

If you're using Windows, search for "XMOS USB DAC driver control panel". Open the control panel and click on the "info" tab. You should see a field "Revision" in the table below which details which driver version you have installed.
Thanks, have to check that, my windows machine does not recognise the DAC yet. My Mac has no problems?

niekos

Thanks, have to check that, my windows machine does not recognise the DAC yet. My Mac has no problems?
Ok, so you have to turn on usb input first
I am on revision v1.05.

Attachments

• D74546F3-57C9-4947-BDB2-51FFADE7C0C2.jpeg
    D74546F3-57C9-4947-BDB2-51FFADE7C0C2.jpeg
    71.1 KB · Views: 206

quantumfish

Hi all, first post here! Off topic and probably doesn't make any audible difference, but I can't seem to find a crosstalk measurement for the headphone out or the RCA/XLR out. Have an M500 on the way, so wouldn't change my purchase decision, just curious. Cheers!

Alerma

Maybe I am a bit paranoid, but I feel uncomfortable connecting M500 directly to a power outlet, because of its internal switching power supply. Should I worry and take any precautions against overvoltages and use some sort of surge protector?

Celty

Maybe I am a bit paranoid, but I feel uncomfortable connecting M500 directly to a power outlet, because of its internal switching power supply. Should I worry and take any precautions against overvoltages and use some sort of surge protector?
I always plug any electronics into a quality surge protector.

MusicNBeer

Forum Donor
Have intersampling-overs been tested somewhere for es9038pro? If not, this DAC could be a good target :)
Related to this, does lowering the volume on the DAC address this, or does filtering and resampling occur prior to the volume control in the ESS 9038pro?

niekos

Today I started using Tidal for MQA music (sounds great btw). I notice two tiny clicks when I start a song and when I skip to the next song (same bit rates). When I do not skip manually the playback is gapless without any clicks. My settings are set to MQA passthrough and exclusive mode. The app also crashes from time to time, where there is no longer any sound played and the app shown a spinner around the play button (it does not recover; need to restart mac to get sound back again). Anyone else experiencing this using Tidal?
When I use Spotify I do not hear clicks when skipping or starting songs (same bitrates).

TC!!

I just watched Z's review. I do take a lot of what he says with a pinch of salt but his review was very positive apart from the sound bleed on XLR when using the headphone output. The one thing he didn't try was to adjust the XLR volume out before switching to headphone out to see if that has any effect on the volume of bleed. I'm still waiting for my M500 to arrive, anyone fancy trying it?

unklez

Will a atom labs amp make this dac sound cleaner with my Senn HD650? I also have a Fiio k5 amp.

Palex

Today I started using Tidal for MQA music (sounds great btw). I notice two tiny clicks when I start a song and when I skip to the next song (same bit rates). When I do not skip manually the playback is gapless without any clicks. My settings are set to MQA passthrough and exclusive mode. The app also crashes from time to time, where there is no longer any sound played and the app shown a spinner around the play button (it does not recover; need to restart mac to get sound back again). Anyone else experiencing this using Tidal?
When I use Spotify I do not hear clicks when skipping or starting songs (same bitrates).
M500 doesn't give clicks. Clicks the streamer gives a player . (any DAC doesn't do clicks - connect earphones to the laptop or the computer - clicks will be)

Toku

Major Contributor
I'm expecting very issue raised in this entire thread will be fixed by the end of the day!
There seems to be a reason why the update file of M500 was deleted suddenly.
It seems that the shipment of M500 is stopped and the product is improved now.

Silver and red are in stock on the market yet, but black is not currently available.
I ordered black at the 11.11 sale, but eventually canceled the order.

Last edited:

ArtemisXCIX

M500 being off the shelf for awhile from what I know is that they went out of stock due to sales probably 11.11 or at least that is what SMSL customer service told me.
It was pretty significantly cheaper during 11.11, got mine for just under USD 300(shipping included) during that period.

Edit: Should be back on shelves around mid dec for those looking to buy it.

Last edited:

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There seems to be a reason why the update file of M500 was deleted suddenly.
It seems that the shipment of M500 is stopped and the product is improved now.

Silver and red are in stock on the market yet, but black is not currently available.
I ordered black at the 11.11 sale, but eventually canceled the order.
You mean hardware improvements? Why would SMSL sell half baked equipment in the first place...hope its not like the case for SU-8 and the SU-8(V2)...maybe @SMSL-Mandy or @SMSL_Liu could clarify...

Top Bottom