• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 DAC and HP Amp Review

Toku

Major Contributor
You mean hardware improvements? Why would SMSL sell half baked equipment in the first place...hope its not like the case for SU-8 and the SU-8(V2)...maybe @SMSL-Mandy or @SMSL_Liu could clarify...
I received an email from a Shenzhen dealer who ordered M500 today.
The product seems to have been collected by SMSL. Perhaps the reason is firmware update.
Let's wait a little longer.

TC!!

There seems to be a reason why the update file of M500 was deleted suddenly.
It seems that the shipment of M500 is stopped and the product is improved now.

Silver and red are in stock on the market yet, but black is not currently available.
I ordered black at the 11.11 sale, but eventually canceled the order.
M500 being off the shelf for awhile from what I know is that they went out of stock due to sales probably 11.11 or at least that is what SMSL customer service told me.
It was pretty significantly cheaper during 11.11, got mine for just under USD 300(shipping included) during that period.

Edit: Should be back on shelves around mid dec for those looking to buy it.
I received an email from a Shenzhen dealer who ordered M500 today.
The product seems to have been collected by SMSL. Perhaps the reason is firmware update.
Let's wait a little longer.

That's worrying. I bought mine on 6th November hoping to miss the 11/11 rush and it was delayed with no reason given then sent on 13th November. I still have no idea of when it's arriving to me in the UK.

ArtemisXCIX

That's worrying. I bought mine on 6th November hoping to miss the 11/11 rush and it was delayed with no reason given then sent on 13th November. I still have no idea of when it's arriving to me in the UK.

Concerning indeed. I'd be pretty disappointed if they "upgraded" the hardware just after I bought it...

MusicNBeer

Forum Donor
I'm hoping for a firmware update to fix the spdif lack of robustness. It's odd that smsl pulled the units based on what we've been discussing. Maybe there's a bigger issue they've uncovered.

unklez

I don't believe it. Even if it had issues Chinese wouldn't pull a product.

niekos

I bought mine 11/11 and it was delivered the 14th of November from France :cool:, I bought from SMSL official store (aliexpress). It was delivered by amazon prime :) Hope yours will arrive soon, where did you buy? Despite the little clicks when using MQA I really am impressed by the sound so far.

TC!!

I bought mine 11/11 and it was delivered the 14th of November from France :cool:, I bought from SMSL official store (aliexpress). It was delivered by amazon prime :) Hope yours will arrive soon, where did you buy? Despite the little clicks when using MQA I really am impressed by the sound so far.

Bought it from another supplier on AliExpress who beat the 11/11 price by quite a bit so I decided to order from them and get it sooner, didn't quite work out like that :facepalm:

Thesoundof

I'm hoping for a firmware update. Maybe there's a bigger issue they've uncovered.

I’ve had the M500 for about a month now and until just a few days ago I also experienced various similar problems as many report in the forum of an subtile popping sound in between tracks and on various occasions in tracks or changing track. This really made me believe the DAC was faulty as I have a pretty good technical understanding and tried to solve it in any way possible (drivers, software, OS, connections, EC, jitter etc).

So after being annoyed at this problem for a while I simply tried what I least expected solving anything and changed the USB connector in the PC from USB 2.0 to USB 1.0 and voila, problem solved and heaven unfolded as I finally was able to enjoy the crispy wonders of MQA delivered as smooth as silk. Maybe it was due to non compatible drivers etc.but this solved it for me and I believe many experiences similar error.

When it comes to optical signal from TV there was also a sound problem solved by changing the audio output format in the audio menu of the TV.

The golden rule is to suspect user error first while exploring new technologies such as the M500 and secondly be careful of prematurely judging the device in reviews as it really can make benefiters believe there is something wrong with it rather than the competence. .

TC!!

I’ve had the M500 for about a month now and until just a few days ago I also experienced various similar problems as many report in the forum of an subtile popping sound in between tracks and on various occasions in tracks or changing track. This really made me believe the DAC was faulty as I have a pretty good technical understanding and tried to solve it in any way possible (drivers, software, OS, connections, EC, jitter etc).

So after being annoyed at this problem for a while I simply tried what I least expected solving anything and changed the USB connector in the PC from USB 2.0 to USB 1.0 and voila, problem solved and heaven unfolded as I finally was able to enjoy the crispy wonders of MQA delivered as smooth as silk. Maybe it was due to non compatible drivers etc.but this solved it for me and I believe many experiences similar error.

When it comes to optical signal from TV there was also a sound problem solved by changing the audio output format in the audio menu of the TV.

The golden rule is to suspect user error first while exploring new technologies such as the M500 and secondly be careful of prematurely judging the device in reviews as it really can make benefiters believe there is something wrong with it rather than the competence. .
I'm currently using an Audiolab M-DAC which has given me problems with popping sound during USB playback. One of the ways I was able to help the issue was to use a USB Hub,1970-01-15 06:54:15 it works in some situations but not others, 24/96 was still no go. One good point of the DAC is the display shows the USB Buffer and it's easy to see any popping sound happened when the buffer level dropped.

I'd decided to buy the M500 to try get away from all these issues, I really want to use a Ropieee as a Roon Bridge to simplify my setup. The Ropieee with my current DAC is totally unusable and just pops non stop with the USB buffer level jumping around.

If you are continuing to have problems with audio from your TV it might be worth trying a HDMI audio extractor. They're inexpensive and may get around the inconsistent optical output from different manufacturers. Here's a link to one on Amazon UK.

TC!!

There are rumours here about a new version coming out. I spoke to SMSL directly before buying mine and they told me there was no UK stock until around 11/11 which suggests if there is a new one then you got one of them.

Could you post the software details of yours from the settings menu?

I'm hoping all they've done is decided to deliver units with the newer firmware version that fixes the USB sound being low.

ArtemisXCIX

Is it worth it if i only listen songs on deezer/spotify and games?

Depends on what is your setup now and what you are looking for. Do you already have a setup or you are looking for a good value for money All in One(Dac/amp) solution?

slazyel

Depends on what is your setup now and what you are looking for. Do you already have a setup or you are looking for a good value for money All in One(Dac/amp) solution?
What i have now is a Takstar HF 580 and an SMSL iDea. I also could get the smsl m500 for 314$ that i ordered on 11/11, but i am wondering if its worth it for my use and setup.

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
just reporting that my vizio m series TV has had no sync problems over toslink with the m500. i haven't tried the ps4 yet but i can on request.

szhchen

Just received my M500. There are continuous pop noise or pause while playing any track sample rate dsd 256 or pcm 352kHz.
even with newest firm 1.07

windows 10 V.1909 ROON Jriver Foobar

And there is hit marks on the case out of box.So fucked up.

Alerma

Just received my M500. There are continuous pop noise or pause while playing any track sample rate dsd 256 or pcm 352kHz.
even with newest firm 1.07

windows 10 V.1909 ROON Jriver Foobar

And there is hit marks on the case out of box.So fucked up.

Have you tried the workaround described in #601 ?

szhchen

Have you tried the workaround described in #601 ?
As well as a different cable I'd suggest trying a USB hub, if possible a passive hub.

I have tried my usb 2.0 ,3.0 port and hubs .But I haven't tried 3.1. And I have no native usb 1.0 on my ASUS C7H motherboard.
Or there is a way config it to 1.0?I might try to get a usb 1.0 hub.
Thanks for these clues.

But it is some how ridiculous only compatible with usb 1.0.

Top Bottom