• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 DAC and HP Amp Review

Veri

Master Contributor
Uh huh...
Funny, that's when I'd start to give it more credibility...rather than the typical claims of clear and obvious differences.
He's said before that he doesn't really hear DAC differences nor filters. But well, with the gear they send him for review he still has to babble 20-30 mins about it since he's sponsored to do that :p

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Chord mojo is coming today and I will do sound comparison with m500 and drivability test for MrSpkr AEON C & DT900 300Ohm.

I had Chord mojo for 2 years and I know it from my heart and lets see.

That would be awesome.
Do you have a plan for the test/comparison, in terms of matching output levels and testing blind? Harder to do than just plugging it in and giving impressions...but I'm always interested in results of listening tests, assuming they aren't completely uncontrolled...

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you have a plan for the test/comparison, in terms of matching output levels and testing blind? Harder to do than just plugging it in and giving impressions...but I'm always interested in results of listening tests, assuming they aren't completely uncontrolled...
Sure thing. Level match the Mojo with the M500 won't be easy without instrumentation. The only reference level we know is 3V in DAC mode. Then, measured performance show similar power under 300ohms and slightly less for the Mojo under 33ohms.

MusicNBeer

Forum Donor
Fair enough, I missed that bit from your post.
I should have rephrased that, as I was trying to find the link between the OPT issues on M500/DX7 Pro.
Not directly related to the chip, agreed, but something about the tolerance levels, as it seems to be more sensitive to any signal issues.

Just got this reply today from Topping:

That's unfortunate to hear. if it's a dealbreaker, send it back if you can and get an AKM based unit.

ramzi

That's unfortunate to hear. if it's a dealbreaker, send it back if you can and get an AKM based unit.
Yeah man, sucks that TVs are still playing russian roulette with the optical output, I doubt a quality transceiver would add much to the cost of a 4k TV...

Last edited:

dropbear

Stopped watching the review when he said he couldn't tell the difference between the various filters... Worst even in subjectivists ...
You need to know what you are dealing with, I am 100% sure he suffers from the hearing loss in the highest frequencies, anytime he starts going on about treble is great I know such product is definitely not for me, because it almost always means headphones are bright beyond reason.

But in general, if one's hearing tops at 20kHz max. the person may never hear a difference. I am waiting for SMSL SU-8 and I am definitely going to try every single one of them, but I sincerely think I will not be able to conclude anything subjective and that any difference would be highly suggestive.

Charles0322

You need to know what you are dealing with, I am 100% sure he suffers from the hearing loss in the highest frequencies, anytime he starts going on about treble is great I know such product is definitely not for me, because it almost always means headphones are bright beyond reason.

But in general, if one's hearing tops at 20kHz max. the person may never hear a difference. I am waiting for SMSL SU-8 and I am definitely going to try every single one of them, but I sincerely think I will not be able to conclude anything subjective and that any difference would be highly suggestive.

Or maybe he said that because at the time the filters were disabled. There have been time where changing the filters with the remote did not actually apply the filter settings. Also the difference is quite slight with maybe 2 of them actually changing the sound enough to be able to tell with certainty what is happening to the sound.

slazyel

Hi guys. Is it worth it to buy it to use with a Takstark HF 580? (Planar 32ohm). I already use a SMSL iDea with it.
I could grab one m500 for 314$ and i am thinking if it's worth it for my headphones. Thank you!

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Hi, I've used the SMSL SU-8 before the M500. Talking only about the filters...the differences are hard to discern in the SU8 vs the M500. My fav on SU 8 and M500 is perhaps the Apodidizing. Best of Luck!

Shoaibexpert

Hi guys. Is it worth it to buy it to use with a Takstark HF 580? (Planar 32ohm). I already use a SMSL iDea with it.
I could grab one m500 for 314$ and i am thinking if it's worth it for my headphones. Thank you!
Wow $314 is a good price. Where and how may I ask?

mi-fu

Forum Donor

Hi, may I know where you could buy a M500 for $314?

slazyel

Wow $314 is a good price. Where and how may I ask?
Hi, may I know where you could buy a M500 for $314?
It was not in the 11.11 sale in China, such as Aliexpress.
If it is 341 $ instead of 314 $, I understand.

It was in the aliexpress 11/11 sale yes. There are people who bought it for 312$, but i ordered from the official SMSL store for 2 bucks more.

There were other promotion like dx7 pro for less than $500 and Sabaj D5 for 390$

Toku

Major Contributor
M500 problems I have confirmed so far

1. When playing DSD2.8MHz, suddenly it becomes big continuous intense noise.
2. When playing a PCM768kHz file, the sound is severely distorted.

3. Even when PCM768kHz seems to be operating normally, puti puti bubble noise such as scratch sound of the record board that does not exist in the original music file occurs.
4). In addition, even with DSD 11.2MHz playback, a little noise came out.
5. A factory reset has no effect on these symptoms.

If you switch the USB cable to Topping D50s DX3 Pro, it will play normally.

Does your M500 have these symptoms?

I then returned the product to the dealer.

SoyBean0809

M500 problems I have confirmed so far

1. When playing DSD2.8MHz, suddenly it becomes big continuous intense noise.
2. When playing a PCM768kHz file, the sound is severely distorted.

3. Even when PCM768kHz seems to be operating normally, puti puti bubble noise such as scratch sound of the record board that does not exist in the original music file occurs.
4). In addition, even with DSD 11.2MHz playback, a little noise came out.
5. A factory reset has no effect on these symptoms.

If you switch the USB cable to Topping D50s DX3 Pro, it will play normally.

Does your M500 have these symptoms?

I then returned the product to the dealer.
I also experience some of these symptoms, but I figured out some setting which maybe related to them. I use Foobar2000 v1.4.4, with the newest version of foo_input_sacd component.

Problem 1 3 4 all have some relation with the 'DSD native' setting and some implementaion issue of the M500's usb interface. When I first got the M500 I used some DSD64 128 256 and 512 files to test. When using the newist version of foo_input_sacd, and setting the output device to 'DSD:ASIO:USB DAC ASIO' I notice those bubble noise when playing DSD256 files, while unable to play DSD512 files showing 'sample rate of 14112000Hz not support by device'. No problem playing DSD64 and 128 files. I then tried a older vision of foo_input_sacd v0.9.6, this time I have no issue playing DSD128 and 256 files, DSD512 files will play but again has the bubble noise. And when changing from other format to DSD64 (I didn't try all situation but all of the issues come after I change from another format to DSD64, no problem when changing between DSD64 tracks) and after about 30 seconds white noise will suddenly cut in and last for about 10 seconds, after this the music will continue to play normally and no problem until changing to other format then change back.

I searched on the internet and found that foo_input_sacd v0.9.6 is the final version which still support DSD native output, anything newer will only output using DoP(DSD over PCM) which lead to the '14112000Hz not support' problem, as DSD512 DoP is based on 1411.2KHz PCM stream which M500 dosen't support. DSD256 DoP is based on 705.6K PCM, which is supported but there could be some issue causing the signal to pop, 768KHz and DSD512 native(22579.2KHz 1bit) may has the same problem which explained problem 3. Also there is another problem which cause the DSD64 native signal to suddenly jump to noise after changing format and playing for 30s which I think maybe is due to some buffer error.

So I now use the DSDTranscoder plug-in which can set different output method for different DSD format. I set every DSD64 to using DoP output, while other format output DSD native, which solves problem 1 and 4. But DSD512 together with 705.6 and 768KHz will still be a problem, not the end of the world since these resources are pretty rare in my opinion...

I think all these issues come from the usb interface chip - the XMOS XU-216 which appears on a SMSL product the first time. I also report these problems to the manufacture so maybe there will be a new firmware to solve them.:D I already had the M500 for more than one month so not able for me to return it (also because I'm loving its sound and appearence). It's your decision whether to return it or not.;)

Last edited:

niekos

Just received my m500 yesterday, sounds amazing!
I want to update the device for the usb sound problem, but can't find it anymore on the smsl downloads page? I thought it was there yesterday? Is it just me? Or did smsl withdraw that update?

Toku

Major Contributor
Just received my m500 yesterday, sounds amazing!
I want to update the device for the usb sound problem, but can't find it anymore on the smsl downloads page? I thought it was there yesterday? Is it just me? Or did smsl withdraw that update?
Certainly the file is deleted and can't be downloaded.
Perhaps it was temporarily removed due to the need for additional updates.
Let's wait a little time.

MusicNBeer

Forum Donor
Certainly the file is deleted and can't be downloaded.
Perhaps it was temporarily removed due to the need for additional updates.
Let's wait a little time.
I'm expecting very issue raised in this entire thread will be fixed by the end of the day!

Top Bottom