• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DO100 Review (Stereo DAC)

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 33 9.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 315 87.7%

• Total voters

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There is a DPLL setting, page 17
Great! Thanks for pointing that out…good to see the issue addressed.

Does that setting apply globally to all inputs or independently to each?

Plcamp

I have the E30, the remote is good to have but
FYI mine was almost unusable, so I took it apart to discover the LED not properly aligned with the hole, and reflowing the soldered leads to press the diode further through PCB greatly improved it.

Edit: as received I had to point mine 15 degrees above the unit, but once adjusted it aligned correctly.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
FYI mine was almost unusable, so I took it apart to discover the LED not properly aligned with the hole, and reflowing the soldered leads to press the diode further through PCB greatly improved it.
Nice find, I might have a look at that. I've done some soldering before on my K702 headphones when the wires came loose, so I've got some experience (not much), praps enough to attempt what you did if I notice the same issue if I take it apart.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Please do. See below for my measurements of a MOTU M4 and an Ultralite Mk5 which look very different from the ideal filter measurements previously posted. This is on a Mac but I also tried Linux and got the same results. Playback sample rate is 44.1 kHz, capture device is a Cosmos ADC running at 192 kHz. Stimulus is -10 dBFS periodic white noise.

Ultralite Mk5
View attachment 208656
That's minimum phase fast rolloff. About what you would expect in an audio interface where latency is considered critical, even if it only saves you 2/3 of a millisecond at 44.1 kHz.
That's the linear phase fast rolloff filter. Is this a rev 1 or rev 2 unit?

Much ado about filters in this thread. I consider "THD+N" caused by aliasing components in the extended (90 kHz) measurement bandwidth a measurement artifact, so the default filter is a perfectly fine choice in that regard... it only dips above 18 kHz which only impacts the measurement at the very end. It would not be my go-to filter for 44.1 kHz, I would agree with the linear fast rolloff job #6 (low in-band ripple, flat response out to 20 kHz, and real life audio signal components at 20-22.05 kHz tend to be near-nonexistent to begin with so who cares about a bit of aliasing generated in the 22.05-24.1 kHz range).

As for the DO100, it appears they may have sacrificed a few dB of dynamic range to achieve the extraordinary linearity. Which is a valid approach, I guess.

Presumably the usual caveats for IEC Class I devices with unbalanced outputs apply. This is not the DAC for you if it needs to be floating.

Last edited:

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's minimum phase fast rolloff. About what you would expect in an audio interface where latency is considered critical, even if it only saves you 2/3 of a millisecond at 44.1 kHz.

That's the linear phase fast rolloff filter. Is this a rev 1 or rev 2 unit?

Much ado about filters in this thread. I consider "THD+N" caused by aliasing components in the extended (90 kHz) measurement bandwidth a measurement artifact, so the default filter is a perfectly fine choice in that regard... it only dips above 18 kHz which only impacts the measurement at the very end. It would not be my go-to filter for 44.1 kHz, I would agree with the linear fast rolloff job #6 (low in-band ripple, flat response out to 20 kHz, and real life audio signal components at 20-22.05 kHz tend to be near-nonexistent to begin with so who cares about a bit of aliasing generated in the 22.05-24.1 kHz range).

As for the DO100, it appears they may have sacrificed a few dB of dynamic range to achieve the extraordinary linearity. Which is a valid approach, I guess.

Presumably the usual caveats for IEC Class I devices with unbalanced outputs apply. This is not the DAC for you if it needs to be floating.

Rev 1 -> https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...sl-do100-review-stereo-dac.34198/post-1197183

Michael

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Congratulations, SMSL.
Just a tiny bit short of perfection.
Add lossless Bluetooth and allow control via an Android APP, removing the price dedicated to the already included remote, and it will be there.
In theory, Bluetooth 5.0 could support lossless 16/44.1 audio, since 5.0 has a maximum data rate of 2.0Mb/sec, while the 16/44.1 data rate is less than 1.5Mb/sec, but since the BT 5.0 maximum rate only occurs under perfect conditions, especially for distance, I'm not aware of any 16/44.1 lossless implementations at all. They all use a lossy codec. If you want lossless wireless you need 802.11 WiFi support.

Zenek73

In our globalized world, you will hardly find electronics not made at least with Chinese parts, or a petrol station in Europe without Russian sourced fuel.
Such is life... (takie jest życie)... An alternative would be to buy less, and ride a bike - oh no, because the bikes...
Yes but you can still buy sth "made in" Poland, German, Denmark, USA, Taiwan (which for sure is NOT China), Korea etc.
I have tube amplifier made in Poland (unfortunately with Russian parts...), Musical Fidelity DAC made in EU, headphones made in Germany...
All were rather cheap but good quality.
I'm even going to buy amplifier "hancrafted" in Luxembourg :D
And for sure most of my money will be spent on very good non-chinese speakers...

I know that there is a lot of Chinese components. And I will spend more money not always for better quality (many chinese brands are great... and expensive too) - but I feel better.... And for sure such devices will play better for me than any product "made in china"... magic... Almost like magical USB cables.
Of course sometimes I have no choice: iPhone, AfterShokz for example...

Bikes... Fortunately the most important parts are not made in China I believe (frames) - and I'm going to buy a new bike this week :)
Unfortunately I abandoned idea of buying Brompton (made in England) :/ so there is a risk that I can buy a wrong bike...

I don't know. Im too old to change my mind ;) But even Biden told that China is the biggest problem now - even bigger that idiot putin.

Slayer

I know that there is a lot of Chinese components. And I will spend more money not always for better quality
I don't know. Im too old to change my mind
No matter how old you are, you should have the common sense to not judge any people from any nation, because of how their govt leaders operate. My time in the military taught me early on, most people regardless of where they are from, are not that much different from one another.
It is said leaders, for the purpose of power and control, who try and divide the people.
Sadly, there will always be those who continue to fall prey to the misguidance from govt leaders. Which is why they continue to wield the power they have, and not using it for the best interest of the people.

sjeesjie

Quite amazing that SMSL managed to deliver this performance at this price point given the world wide economic situation and logistics problems.
Cheap Chinese labour right?
Don’t even know it’s ethically allright at all? Does anyone know?

Bleib

Major Contributor
Cheap Chinese labour right?
Don’t even know it’s ethically allright at all? Does anyone know?
Probably not, but on the other hand China's wealth is growing immensively and it doesn't seem to just stay at the top echelon of society

Pulkass

Congratulations, SMSL.
Just a tiny bit short of perfection.
Add lossless Bluetooth and allow control via an Android APP, removing the price dedicated to the already included remote, and it will be there.
Can l pair an Android phone out of the house, 30 metres, with an in between wall, and get the music ?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Lajamajasaman

I like this DAC. Anyone know how many meters of usb cable? I would buy it in 2 weeks. Can you expect in the near future such a good price topping opponent with similar good qualities? I'd buy a Tannoy Reveal 802 I think this do100 is plenty enough for it right? Sorry if the English is bad but I use Google translator.

Pulkass

Chino DAC?

We can do a little better than that please.
Not meant to offend anybody. Is that a bad word in the USA ? That Dac arrived one hour ago, easy to set the driver, like love at first sight-- easy - it sounds great !!!! Connected via XLR to my humble 3way 3 amped électronique x overed system.! G R E A T

PyramidElectric

I like this DAC. Anyone know how many meters of usb cable? I would buy it in 2 weeks. Can you expect in the near future such a good price topping opponent with similar good qualities? I'd buy a Tannoy Reveal 802 I think this do100 is plenty enough for it right? Sorry if the English is bad but I use Google translator.
The supplied USB cable is 115cm. I think this DAC would be fine (or even perfect) for pretty much any active monitors.

Top Bottom