• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DO100 Review (Stereo DAC)

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 32 9.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 314 88.0%

• Total voters

Labjr

Major Contributor
I was showing this review to a friend and he wanted to order it but I don't see this on Apos web site? Are they the best seller to purchase from? Maybe they don't have stock yet?

Gio

Forum Donor

Labjr

Major Contributor
I emailed them. I guess they ship from China. I also emailed Apos to see when they would be getting stock. I believe Apos ships from California which I would prefer in case there's a problem. Apos also doubles the warranty to two years.

sjeesjie

Is it perhaps possible to change the input labels on the screen? Like for example, coax becomes “CD” and toslink becomes “TV”?

Veri

Master Contributor
I emailed them. I guess they ship from China. I also emailed Apos to see when they would be getting stock. I believe Apos ships from California which I would prefer in case there's a problem. Apos also doubles the warranty to two years.
Beware though, apos also often ships from CN.

Pulkass

Got it - didn't know that "volume on max" was what you did, good enough!
The problem is: switch it off, ( how? ) And on re switching on, finding back all the previous settings, those one knob machines are a pain in the neck !

natna

Been watching from the start of the thread for amirm measurements with a proper filter.
I was very interested in buying the DO 100.
All these inputs + vol knob and good (?) sound (tested based on 320kbps mp3 audio spectrum coverage
"-But who needs to know if his DAC manages well his hires FLAC files"

With no other filter measurements that's a no go for me.
He spoilled us with all his nice work over the years...

I guess by now the unit is back to the shop that provided it for testing...

Last edited:

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
With no proper measurements that's a no go for me. And kind of disappointed from the lack of niews from the OP.
He spoilled us with all his nice work over the years...
Ok, i'm a bit confused by your statement.
What other test measurements would you like to see @amirm run? Seems as if he ran the same test's as he normally does. This device performed rather well in all regards. Not sure how you seem to think for the money you can do much better.

Slayer

I was thinking this too. Why is just the balanced output measured?
It's not, both are measured.
Let's start with our usual dashboard using XLR balanced out:
SMSL DO100 DAC Measurements Stereo XLR Balanced USB DAC.png

RCA output is just slightly worse:
SMSL DO100 DAC Measurements Stereo Balanced USB DAC.png

sjeesjie

Question.. can you connect an iphone directly to this DAC and will it play and charge as well?

natna

Ok, i'm a bit confused by your statement.
What other test measurements would you like to see @amirm run? Seems as if he ran the same test's as he normally does. This device performed rather well in all regards. Not sure how you seem to think for the money you can do much better.

Leaving the matter with the very fast filter aside, I 'd like to see all inputs measured for SINAD with RCA output...
Not only jitter.
Or someone can tell from the jitter graph?
I'm no expert. So I'd like to know.

Walter

Leaving the matter with the very fast filter aside, I 'd like to see all inputs measured for SINAD with RCA output...
Not only jitter.
Or someone can tell from the jitter graph?
I'm no expert. So I'd like to know.
Only jitter is measured on most DACs because past tests have shown that almost always the only measurement that varies noticeably between the inputs.

Top Bottom