• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DO100 Review (Stereo DAC)

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 33 9.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 315 87.7%

• Total voters

PeteL

Major Contributor
Are the A-D filters not meant to filter the 20-22k stuff during recording? Or are you talking about worst case stuff when that's not done properly and then you basically get these aliased signals in the 22-24k range? (I need to read up on this I think)
There is no reason to believe that the ADC filters should be better than the DAC filters.

BadAudioAdvice

Nice that AC adapter is built into the unit

Is the 3-pronged power necessary? (also e.g. for the HO100)

I also appreciate units with built-in power supplies, but for small units like this, (and in general), I find 3-wire power cables usually quite large, and often stiff, making it difficult to route and keep nicely organised.

Bleib

Major Contributor

I also appreciate units with built-in power supplies, but for small units like this, (and in general), I find 3-wire power cables usually quite large, and often stiff, making it difficult to route and keep nicely organised.
Isn't it possible to find some replacements that are compatible?

Bleib

Major Contributor
I was wondering more about why do they have 3-wire power plugs? (is it a design choice, for better performance, or for certification, etc.)
Wide availability probably.

Labjr

Major Contributor

I think power ground may be required when AC wall voltage is going into a metal enclosure. For safety.

I think some of the newer IEC 18ga power cords are pretty thin.

RandomEar

I was wondering more about why do they have 3-wire power plugs? (is it a design choice, for better performance, or for certification, etc.)
I'd guess it's mostly a design choice. You need double insulated everything for 2-prong connected devices. I imagine that this could actually be more difficult to design in small units like this with metal cases and metal switches (it should be trivial for devices with 100% plastic all around). With 3-prong, you just make sure that the safety ground is connected to all metal case parts and don't need the second insulation layer.

RandomEar

I think power ground may be required when AC wall voltage is going into a metal enclosure. For safety.

I think some of the newer IEC 18ga power cords are pretty thin.
It's not, as far as I know. I have a 2-prong Rotel amp sitting here with a full metal case. It's simply double insulated correctly.

Labjr

Major Contributor
It's not, as far as I know. I have a 2-prong Rotel amp sitting here with a full metal case. It's simply double insulated correctly.

So it's one or the other. I know which one I'll take. But still needs to be checked. I've seen a lot of inexpensive test equipment and soldering equipment that's not properly grounded internally. The three wire cord is just for show.

DrZingo

Are the A-D filters not meant to filter the 20-22k stuff during recording? Or are you talking about worst case stuff when that's not done properly and then you basically get these aliased signals in the 22-24k range? (I need to read up on this I think)
You are right, but as PeteL says, even if you filter away everything above 20 kHz you actually create new ghost or alias frequencies when sampling that audio that are reflected around the sampling frequency. That is, apart from a 10 kHz tone there will also be a 44.1-10=33.1 kHz tone in the digital information on the CD. That's why you put a filter during playback as well, called a reconstruction filter, to get rid of these high alias frequencies. If the CD contains absolutely nothing above 20 kHz you only need to filter 24.1 kHz and above during playback, as that's the lowest alias frequency that can be created (44.1-20 kHz).
(The frequencies that the reconstruction filter takes away are of course inaudible in themselves, the reason for this filter is to avoid distortion created by sending a large amount of high frequency content down the chain.)

Pulkass

I also own the DX3 pro.(I use it in pure DAC mode) If it is for pure performance reasons, I would fully agree with your statement.
Speaking of pure sound. Does it sound good? Good, solid, sort of 3d, or thin like similar chino DACs ? such marvellous measurements could be disappointing in the listening room.

RHO

Major Contributor

Bleib

Major Contributor

respice finem

Major Contributor
Looks good.
But...
Made in China/Russia? Not for me.
In our globalized world, you will hardly find electronics not made at least with Chinese parts, or a petrol station in Europe without Russian sourced fuel.
Such is life... (takie jest życie)... An alternative would be to buy less, and ride a bike - oh no, because the bikes...

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can I be confident that this DAC will work without dropouts on SPDIF sources? (Seems to be a recurrent issue with some DACs)

JSmith

Master Contributor
Can I be confident that this DAC will work without dropouts on SPDIF sources?
There is a DPLL setting, page 17;
DPLL 1~9, the lower the value, the smaller the clock jitter. This DPLL setting is a unique function of ESS series products. It can adjust the bandwidth of the DPLL digital phase-locked loop circuit inside the chip, so that the chip can achieve a balance between anti-clock jitter and input tolerance. Effect: When the clock stability of the input signal is good, this value can be reduced, so that the clock performance of the system is better; When the clock stability of the input signal is not good, the sound may be interrupted. Increasing this value can avoid the occurrence of audio interruption! Especially when using TV as the signal source.

JSmith

Top Bottom