• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DO100 Review (Stereo DAC)

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 33 9.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 315 87.7%

• Total voters

staticV3

Master Contributor
@amirm why not measure Dynamic Range, once using the regular -60dBFS signal, and once with a 0dBFS signal, attenuated by 60dB using the DACs own volume control?

@HansHolland @MRC01 would that tell you what you want to know?

JSmith

Master Contributor
may you tell us the math behind this 15 dB below threshold?

JSmith

HansHolland

@amirm why not measure Dynamic Range, once using the regular -60dBFS signal, and once with a 0dBFS signal, attenuated by 60dB using the DACs own volume control?

@HansHolland @MRC01 would that tell you what you want to know?
No, I want to define a voltage level.

Every DAC has different output voltages for 0 dBFS (most are close to each other), that's why no.

PeteL

Major Contributor

JSmith
I see, so not Threshold of hearing but threshold of proven transparency for houses built with the collaboration of top gun acoustical Engineers, out alone in a field with no windows or other electronics, listening in the dark.

Even then. Doesn't this sentence sound contradictory?

"CDs, with undithered audio, have a maximum dynamic range of 96 dB (16 bits). Studies, such as the one conducted by Meyer and Moran, have shown 96 dB of dynamic range is transparent for any normal listening conditions.
120 dB (20 bits) of dynamic range is required for transparency. Anything below -120 dBFS is inaudible. "

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Amazing performer for the price. And a usb-c connector which is unpayable if you love your nervs.

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm a bit confused about so many "outstanding" DAC with so different prices. I mean why to spend 800$ for a Topping D90 when the result of this SMSL DO100 seems so close at 1/4 of the price? What I'm missing?
Aesthetics and/or form factor
Connectivity

There will be always people who are willing to pay the premium to get the best measuring DAC. Will it make a real world difference.. ofc not but some want the "piece of mind" of having the best of the best,

PeteL

Major Contributor
I do, but 7 kHz square wave does not contain 14 kHz. Square waves contain only odd harmonics, so the first component after the fundamental will be at 21 kHz.
Right, I need a second coffee it seems.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Sb4d7f245449f47919d55b18608ce4fe2f.jpg

Sfd162756f57d475f9e94b37489e7ad96A.jpg

smsl-do100-dac-2x-es9038q2m-xmos-bluetooth-50-aptx-hd-ldac-32bit-768khz-dsd512.jpg

JSmith

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, I want to define a voltage level.

Every DAC has different output voltages for 0 dBFS (most are close to each other), that's why no.

I like the following voltage levels:

2 mV (this is -60 dB below 2 V output and should be a noise dominated measurement with almost no distortion)
160 mV (this will give you 5 W in to 4 ohm with a 29 dB amplifier)
280 mV (this will give you 5 W in to 4 ohm with a 24 dB amplifier)
500 mV (this will give you 5 W in to 4 ohm with a 19 dB amplifier)

Although I also don't think the results of these measurements will be particularly surprising.

Michael

PeteL

Major Contributor

2 mV (this is -60 dB below 2 V output and should be a noise dominated measurement with almost no distortion)

Although I also don't think the results of these measurements will be particularly surprising.

Michael
All that may be interresting, but why not just be consistent and include this sweep for every DAC reviewed and call it done? That's all the information needed.
1653311248796.png

Scot_Douglas

Appreciate the link. Does anyone else struggle to follow Z Reviews, well, reviews? Ishay okenspay ordway oftenyay oundssay ikelay alphabetyay oupsay ? Yet upon a second listen with Playback Speed @ half speed, well diggety-do, I "hoedoe hoedoo hoodoo" understand, sort of. "Hoe. It's a hoe, OK?" Huh?
Z reviews make me motion sick. Seriously. :confused:

HansHolland

Michael
Although I have nothing against these levels, I think it is a little bit too much levels. 2 levels should be fine. 2 mV and 200 mV? Or add a 3rd: 20 mV, nice steps of 20 dB.

If Amir thinks this will be too much work, then only 20 mV?

PeteL

Major Contributor
Because we want to test the DAC volume control so it is a manual test, not automated.

Michael
OK, but that would be a start, and the results should be the same, the volume control act on the digital signal, effectively normalising the digital signal to a lower DBFS value. This automated test does the same but at the generator. After that The electronic downstream of the conversion is not affected by the volume control, I don't see how that could change. The curve of action of the volume could be interesting tough but we don't get this info for spot checks as you propose. Bottom line X dBFS produce Y Volts and result in Z dB of SINAD in both cases

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, but that would be a start, and the results should be the same, the volume control act on the digital signal, effectively normalising the digital signal to a lower DBFS value. This automated test does the same but at the generator. After that The electronic downstream of the conversion is not affected by the volume control, I don't see how that could change. The curve of action of the volume could be interesting tough but we don't get this info for spot checks as you propose.

I agree that it will not be different (unless the volume control is broken for some reason) but the original request was to test the DAC volume control.

Personally I think the existing tests tell us all we need to know. We have the dynamic range and we know that distortion decreases with level. It is a pretty safe assumption that SINAD will be dominated by noise at lower levels when using a digital volume control so it is very easy to calculate what SINAD will be at lower levels from the dynamic range measurement.

Michael

HansHolland

OK, but that would be a start, and the results should be the same, the volume control act on the digital signal, effectively normalising the digital signal to a lower DBFS value. This automated test does the same but at the generator. After that The electronic downstream of the conversion is not affected by the volume control, I don't see how that could change. The curve of action of the volume could be interesting tough but we don't get this info for spot checks as you propose.
I have an RME ADI-2 DAC, it has an auto-reference circuit, that should measure different.

Top Bottom