• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL D400 Pro Balanced DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 24 9.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 122 50.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 89 36.6%

• Total voters

Ajax

Forum Donor
There are measurements for most of them,Stereophile comes first in mind.They just don't care and they don't want to associate themselves with cheap gear.
I agree with your sentiment. Many years ago I was the Australian distributor of a Japanese mineral fibre acoustic ceiling tile that you see in suspended ceilings in commercial buildings. I manufactured the supporting aluminium grid system in Sydney.

My major competitor was a US company, who opened a manufacturing plant in China. They started importing a standard 1200 x 600 ceiling system in steel grid, which they sold at a price that was less than my cost. Such a system was suitable for buildings such as schools and hospitals, where cost is the driving factor.

My solution was to market solely to CBD office buildings who were looking for a higher standard of finish so as to attract tenants. I ignored the "commodity" market where I couldn't compete.

I think the US and European audio manufacturers are in a similar position and are well aware of Chi Fi and have chosen not to conduct a war they cannot win. Instead they have decided to concentrate their efforts on the upmarket "audio jewellery" type buyer, who get their information from What HiFi, Absolute Sound, Stereophile etc. and are simply not informed of what "good" audio gear is available to the same degree as ASR members are.

Recently I saw these two Music Fidelity items promoted in a local Sydney audio shop's news letter:

1. Nu-Vista Pre A$40,000 = US$25,000
2. Nu-Vista Pass A$43,000 = US$27,000 ........ exchange rate is 0.63.

Compare this with a front end consisting of the excellent Topping or SMSL range or a Minidsp Flex ($600 max), or RME DAC or second hand Benchmark ($1200), combined with the recently reviewed Apollon MCx500ST power amplifier (245W into 8ohms) for whom 90% of us gave a golfing panther rating, also about $1200.
i.e. for less than US$2500 there is a large range of SOTA technology, with all the power you could ever need, at 5% of the price of the Music Fidelity combination.

The members here at ASR are obviously not their target market and I would be surprised if we ever saw products from companies such as Chord, Naim, PS Audio or Music Fidelity offered to Amir for testing. There are exceptions, such as Schiit and the Hypex assemblers, who should be commended.

Last edited:

Paspolc

Too expensive, i'll stick yo my Smsl su-1.
Thanks for the review.

ClaudeJ1

Good performance, but, considering the price, it would IMHO be nice to have a headphone amp included.
Interesting design BTW, I've seen similar on some hi-end(ish) amp, can't recall the manufacturer.

Sidenote: So, it seems, MQA is not quite dead yet?
MQA needs unplugging from life support. Waste of time distortion generator. Not all of us were fooled .

alekksander

not my cup of tea, but seems they eventually improved visual design aspect

Endibol

Forum Donor
Fatigued I would not say, but two things strikes me. The lifespan of each model seems very short. The speed of new models put out on the market for sure isn´t matched by real substantial improvements. As for firmware support it makes me a bit hesitant. The second thing that strikes me is that ASR seems to be sort of a marketing platform for Chinese HiFi brands. I don´t mention this last because I think ASR ought not to review and test them, or that I don´t think it is a good thing the Chinese manufacturers send their gear to ASR, but it is a Striking fact that most brands from Europe or USA or other places don´t turn to ASR to get their DAC:s or whatever reviewed. I don´t know if they think it is not important, since they assume the large numbers of buyers dont care about performance in terms of metrics, or if they just can´t compete on a technical level.
I fear it’s for both reasons..
The question is: how much longer can they they stick to this approach.

drewdawg999

Highish price is mainly the Jeff Rowland inspired fancy chassis and the flagship AKM Velvetsound chips. I love the styling, looking sharp in silver. A plus for me would be the inclusion of DSD Direct mode, which to my ears is an upgrade over DAC only mode despite being softer at 3.7V. But I already have that in the D-6. Don't care for MQA so I'd rather not support it. So I'll just have to drool over a $400 chassis and stick with my 117dB SINAD D-6 which is perfectly transparent already.

SegaCD

Unrelated to the review at hand, but that artwork is a throwback! The design was found on the "What is Quadraphonic?" infostructionals printed on the inner sleeves of quadraphonic records using the CD-4 system back in the early 1970's.

Anyway, the DAC is great, but the video game / cellphone-industry-like offering of incremental upgrades with minimal polish to the new features is getting old very fast. Can someone PLEASE tell the UI/UX team that 3 fonts across a total of 4 blocks of text on a single screen is terrible design methodology and shows how thrown together it is? Also, let's please move away from MS Mincho-derived fonts. There is a whole world of fonts (both licensed and free) that would make the design look much more cohesive.

martin900

Well, they know that ASR is probably their biggest public so instead of doing a sound research, it's all just the same in a different package now.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Also, let's please move away from MS Mincho-derived fonts.
Some of that is by design, required. PCM has always had its block letters. So unless you are saying you should have those fonts used in the main UI, that variation would exist.

This has been the norm in audio industry where they put on logos as specified by the technology owner in whatever font, style they come. Indeed, having it that way is a sign of authenticity (and many times enforced by contract). Look at this Denon AVR:

index.php

See the logo stickers.

Besides that, they too have many different fonts/styles. Their own company logo for example is always a certain font, style.

In the case of this DAC, I think the "ALL" font is out of place but the rest is fine.

Sonic-Wall

The SMSL DO400 (ES9039MSPRO DAC-Chip) is a much better deal because it also has the new design and provides a quite powerful HPA for less than 500 bucks!

shuppatsu

The more DACs I see, especially the never ending flood from SMSL and Topping, the LESS I care about DACs. Also, the SMSLs and Toppings of the world trying to claw their way into the oily, fart-sniffing world of 'high-end' can never work for them. Their genius is selling excellence for less, not audio jewelry for more.
I don't blame them for chasing the high margin market. Japan had a couple decades with a reputation for cheap and crappy, then it became cheap but good, and finally expensive and good.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't blame them for chasing the high margin market. Japan had a couple decades with a reputation for cheap and crappy, then it became cheap but good, and finally expensive and good.
Agreed. And that is the way it should be, why should they be at the bottom of the value chain when they don't have to be.

That will probably happen to these Chinese HiFi brands in another 15-20 years.

wavetrade

The SMSL DO400 (ES9039MSPRO DAC-Chip) is a much better deal because it also has the new design and provides a quite powerful HPA for less than 500 bucks!
There are also two versions of the DO300, that test just as well. Crazy stuff!

fatoldgit

@Amir,

I assume that the entire chassis is aluminium?

I like the aesthetics and unlike some here, dont mind paying a bit more for something that has visual appeal (along side decent measurements)

Thanks,

Peter

Top Bottom