• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Singxer SA-1 Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I've noticed yesterday that with some Albums I can really crank the Volume up. The New Rammstein Album "Zeit" For example.

I'm using a 4 band Equilizer in roon and -5db headroom management while upsampling to 768Khz.

Headphones are Aeon 2 Noire and Im in High Gain. DAC has fixed output (SMSL D300, Topping XLR cables) and I can go to 5-6PM on the Volume wheel. But with older Music like the Beatles or David Bowie I'm most of the time at 1PM , maybe 2PM.

Blew

But with older Music like the Beatles or David Bowie I'm most of the time at 1PM , maybe 2PM.
Are they remasters? They're often remastered as low dynamic range brickwalled messes.

Blew

kenshone

Listening to my Singxer SA-1 right now and getting a strong ground loop noise from the unbalanced output. Not a dealbreaker if this is only an unbalanced issue. Will be testing will balanced in a few hours...

kenshone

When using the 4-pin XLR headphone jack, the ground loop noise is still present from approximately 1:00 on the dial, increasing until the knob almost reaches its clockwise limit, where it becomes extremely audible. Then, just as the knob reaches its maximum clockwise position, the noise vanishes.

I don't think this is a ground loop, even though it sounds like it has the frequency of a ground loop. It makes no sense that a "ground loop" would be extinguished by turning the volume knob all the way clockwise, right? Any explanations welcome.

Perhaps I just got a faulty unit, but I'll be returning this and not looking back.

Blew

Perhaps I just got a faulty unit, but I'll be returning this and not looking back.
Sounds like it. I was only testing mine yesterday by switching between the RCA and balanced XLR interfaces that were attached to the same DAC that was connected to my PC via USB. I can't hear any noise on either. They both sound exactly the same when switching between them.
I use high gain and low-Z on the SA-1, balanced headphones out, with the DAC at 100% output.

kenshone

Sounds like it. I was only testing mine yesterday by switching between the RCA and balanced XLR interfaces that were attached to the same DAC that was connected to my PC via USB. I can't hear any noise on either. They both sound exactly the same when switching between them.
I use high gain and low-Z on the SA-1, balanced headphones out, with the DAC at 100% output.

Hm that's unfortunate. I really wanted to experience the class A difference to the extent that it is audible, but I'm not getting a chance. When I swap out the Singxer SA-1 for an SMSL SH-9, all ground-loop-like noise goes away: whisper quiet.

Extreme_Boky

yes,you are right.
Hi Tom,

Can you please tell me which serial numbers are going to ensure that, If I buy an SA-1, I will get a unit with the additional power rails' decoupling SMD caps (placed around those blue coloured 10ohm SMD resistors)?

1653985914949.png

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi Tom,

Can you please tell me which serial numbers are going to ensure that, If I buy an SA-1, I will get a unit with the additional power rails' decoupling SMD caps (placed around those blue coloured 10ohm SMD resistors)?

View attachment 210013
Just curious but what's it matter to you?

wric01

Hm that's unfortunate. I really wanted to experience the class A difference to the extent that it is audible, but I'm not getting a chance. When I swap out the Singxer SA-1 for an SMSL SH-9, all ground-loop-like noise goes away: whisper quiet.
Had that issue with cheap xlr cables. After better cables it work fine.

Extreme_Boky

When using the 4-pin XLR headphone jack, the ground loop noise is still present from approximately 1:00 on the dial, increasing until the knob almost reaches its clockwise limit, where it becomes extremely audible. Then, just as the knob reaches its maximum clockwise position, the noise vanishes.
Can you short the inputs (hot to ground), and then repeat the above?

Did you bypass (with the little shunt shorting links) the sound coupling caps?

kenshone

Can you short the inputs (hot to ground), and then repeat the above?

Did you bypass (with the little shunt shorting links) the sound coupling caps?

I don't have the experience to short anything, and would be afraid of accidentally damaging a unit that I'm going to return.

I used the headphone amp in its default configuration -- no bypass.

Mark_A

Was the sample tested modified by the owner? I mean the common practice of installing jumpers to bypass the capacitors on the SA-1. I found the sound to be "veiled" without the jumpers.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Was the sample tested modified by the owner? I mean the common practice of installing jumpers to bypass the capacitors on the SA-1. I found the sound to be "veiled" without the jumpers.
It was tested without the Jumper Mod.

Veri

Master Contributor
I mean the common practice of installing jumpers to bypass the capacitors on the SA-1. I found the sound to be "veiled" without the jumpers.
-Common on popular "Hi-Fi" forums?
-It is DC protection, how could it possibly "veil" anything :/

Top Bottom