• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Singxer SA-1 Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Singxer SA-1 balanced headphone amplifier. It was sent to me by shenzhenaudio.com and costs US $599.

While many desktop products look the same these days, I liked the more stout and positive feeling toggle switches on the SA-1:

Singxer SA-1 Review Balanced Headphone Amplifier.jpg

Unusual to have a low and high "z" (output impedance) on an amp. This can help with ultra-sensitive IEMs to the extent they have a flat impedance curve.

AC power supply is included which I like:

Singxer SA-1 Review back panel XLR Balanced Headphone Amplifier.jpg

What I didn't like was gain switches being underneath:

Singxer SA-1 Review Balanced Gain Selector Switch Bottom Headphone Amplifier.jpg

For someone like me that constantly switches headphones, it is unworkable. Fortunately as you see later, high-gain works so well that that low gain may not be needed. I suspect they went this way to minimize PCB path lengths and hence improve noise figure. Performance over functionality! :)

Singxer SA-1 Measurements
Let's stay with balanced input and output:

Singxer SA-1 Measurements Balanced Headphone Amplifier.png

Most excellent! Distortion is down to -147 dB. Indeed some amount of mains noise which may be an instrumentation issue is causing SINAD to be only "121" dB. I say only jokingly because it is essentially the best I have ever measured:

best balanced headphone amplifier review 2021.png

If this is a discrete implementation, it is an incredible achievement.

Switching to RCA input and 1/4 unbalanced headphone out, performance drops a bit:

Singxer SA-1 Measurements UnBalanced Headphone Amplifier.png

Second harmonic rises a fair bit but it is still well below audibility.

I tried testing with XLR input and 1/4 HP out (measured balanced) and got fair bit of ground loop dropping SINAD by a few dB (not shown). Not sure if this is instrumentation issue or design.

The rest of the tests will be with balanced input and output starting with dynamic range/SNR:

Singxer SA-1 SNR Measurements Balanced Headphone Amplifier.png

50 mv output is top tier allowing you to have noise-free IEM playback:
most quiet balanced headphone amp.png

Frequency response is of course flat:

Singxer SA-1 Frequency Response Measurements Balanced Headphone Amplifier.png

Let's test power vs distortion+noise using my optimized test for balanced amps at 300 ohm:

Singxer SA-1 Power into 300 ohm Measurements Balanced Headphone Amplifier.png

As I hinted, performance is almost the same in low and high gain. It is also exceptionally good. Powerful and transparent.

Switching to 50 ohm, we get slightly less optimized performance above certain power level:

Singxer SA-1 Power into 50 ohm Measurements Balanced Headphone Amplifier.png

We can see that more clearly as we step through a range of output impedances:

Singxer SA-1 Power versus Impedance Measurements Balanced Headphone Amplifier.png

Do the math as I have noted to see if you get the amount of power you need at that impedance before distortion rises. There are other high performance amplifiers that don't have this dependency.

Output impedance is shown both for low and high Z.

Channel matching is very good but odd in that the non-matching aspect is when the volume is at max:

Singxer SA-1 Channel Balance Measurements Balanced Headphone Amplifier.png

Fortunately where you need matching is at low levels and there, the SA-1 does very well.

Singxer SA-1 Headphone Listening Tests
With my Sennheiser HD-650 and its balanced cable, the SA-1 was able to drive it cleanly to insanely loud levels. I am talking full skull resonances for the 1/10th of a second I could tolerate to push it up there!!!

With Drop Ether CX the amp was able to again get huge amount of loudness. At the limit that I could barely tolerate, I could hear some distortion which sounded like the headphone, not the amp.

Overall performance was superb and incredible dynamics, detail and overall fidelity/transparency.

Conclusions
Clearly the Singxer SA-1 is designed using instrumentation to make sure it delivers extremely low levels of noise and distortion. While our testing is stressful enough to show a slight weakness in driving low impedance headphones, the unit is nevertheless worthy of top of the class designation in my book.

I am happy to recommend the Singxer SA-1 headphone amplifier.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

respice finem

Major Contributor
Another top product, distortion virtually inexistent (let alone audible).
The price, well, matches the performance.
The "mouse piano" is no sin IMHO because for the typical user, these are things to set once and forget.

mrmoizy

Thank you for another review!

For the life of me, I can't decipher the channel matching graphs. I understand channel matching issues that can arise, and I'm glad you test for this, I just can't discern what your graph means.

I'm probably the only one - does anyone know a past review where this graph was explained in more detail?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Why is the usual formula changed here? :confused:
Which formula? The power curves? They are using high-performance mode of the analyzer which traditional measurements did not.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for another review!

For the life of me, I can't decipher the channel matching graphs. I understand channel matching issues that can arise, and I'm glad you test for this, I just can't discern what your graph means.

I'm probably the only one - does anyone know a past review where this graph was explained in more detail?

Amir manually turns the volume knob from down from maximum to zero over a period of just under 20 seconds (red line, left axis, time on the bottom). The the blue dotted line shows the difference between left and right chanels over the same period - note that the right axis is showing decimal places of a dB vs the left axis showing 10's of dB.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Which formula? The power curves? They are using high-performance mode of the analyzer which traditional measurements did not.
I was thinking the usual XLR in, 6.35mm out for almost all the tests. They omitted the half branch of the XLR when using 6.35mm out, similar to Magnius essentially. And when loaded the performance also degrades a lot with 6.35mm out.
SE32RDash-1536x840.jpg
SETHDN-Ratio-vs-Measured-Level (1).jpg

Usually a differential amplifier is needed to do the summing which adds a bit of noise.

Last edited:

lizhuoyin

Forum Donor
I was thinking the usual XLR in, 6.35mm out for almost all the tests. They omitted the half branch of the XLR when using 6.35mm out, similar to Magnius essentially. And when loaded the performance also degrades a lot with 6.35mm out. View attachment 129593View attachment 129594
Usually a differential amplifier is needed to do the summing which adds a bit of noise.
BTW output impedance in two modes?
Did Amir say ground loop issue with this setup?

Evgeniy

I was thinking the usual XLR in, 6.35mm out for almost all the tests. They omitted the half branch of the XLR when using 6.35mm out, similar to Magnius essentially. And when loaded the performance also degrades a lot with 6.35mm out.
BTW output impedance in two modes?

Sufficient degradation.
But why ?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I note that the back of the unit says "Designed and Assembled in China". If this were a USA product, that would mean that some of the parts were made in other countries. In the case of this amp, that must imply that some parts were not made in China, probably the USA..... :rolleyes:

lizhuoyin

Forum Donor
I note that the back of the unit says "Designed and Assembled in China". If this were a USA product, that would mean that some of the parts were made in other countries. In the case of this amp, that must imply that some parts were not made in China, probably the USA..... :rolleyes:
What are you talking about? Also don't get your logic.

Pillars

It seems to be class AB. The performance here is great. Really high quality parts inside. Would have loved to see some tests in DC coupled mode though. The ground loop part I've not experienced with mine but, who knows. There hasn't been any reports I've seen as with the Topping A90 which was a well known amp to suffer.

garbulky

Major Contributor
WOW, amazing results for class A amp.
Wow really class A power? I think I found my next amp. I was waiting for Emotiva to release their class A balanced amp but that looks to be in limbo. The price is also very attractive.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
What are you talking about? Also don't get your logic.
It was a pathetically bad attempt to make a joke. If they sourced some parts from other than their native China, then maybe some came from the USA. But the USA makes almost no consumer electronic parts. We buy them from somewhere other than here. Its a sore spot for some people that 'nothing' is totally made in the US. Like Philco televisions in the 1950s in which every screw and capacitor was made in the USA.

See the logic? I'll draw you a diagram is you wish. :facepalm:

Top Bottom