• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Singxer SA-1 Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

Mark_A

-Common on popular "Hi-Fi" forums?
-It is DC protection, how could it possibly "veil" anything :/
Every SA-1 review that I read or saw on YouTube said that the high frequencies were clearer and more detailed when the capacitors were bypassed. Some said a little and others said a lot different. The vast majority of owners seem to have performed the bypass. I bought the SA-1, but sold it soon afterward because compared to my other amps, the sound was definitely veiled (but I did not do the bypass and only tried it in SE input mode, with balanced headphone output mode using Sennheiser HD-660S).

Several other manufactures, including Schiit, claim that they have no capacitors in the signal path of their amps (at least on the models I looked at). My Schiit Magnius (in fully balanced mode) is incredibly more clear and detailed then the SA-1. But even the front panel headphone output on an old integrated speaker amp from Onkyo has better defined and clearer sound than the SA-1, and it is not just a matter of frequency response, since all these amps measure flat.

Gagga

Does anyone know the INPUT impedance of this amp? I'm looking at DACs to pair it with and want to make sure there's at least a 1:10 ratio.

Speaking of DACs, what would this go great with?

Celty

Does anyone know the INPUT impedance of this amp? I'm looking at DACs to pair it with and want to make sure there's at least a 1:10 ratio.

I'm using it with an SU-9n, works well for me.

Blew

Mine sounds fantastic with the Topping E50 using balanced cables. The E50 is in DAC mode. I'm still undecided whether I prefer use low or high gain on the SA-1.

Viognier

Currently listening to the Singxer-SA1 which I’ve had in my rig (Mac Mini M1, Roon, Meitner MA-3, Focal Clear and Abyss 1266 Phi TC) for a few months now. Positives - Class A, plenty of grunt, price. Negatives- bland, boring, no dynamics, no drive on either headphone. Sure the Abyss are demanding but the Focal Clear are not. Struggling to understand where the hype has come from.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
How could a amp be bland and boring if all it has to do is to amplify a signal without adding or removing something?

Veri

Master Contributor
Or how can an amp have plenty of "grunt" but at the same time be bland and boring?

I mean I had an SA-1 and simply sent it back because of the odd volume control..

Blew

Currently listening to the Singxer-SA1 which I’ve had in my rig (Mac Mini M1, Roon, Meitner MA-3, Focal Clear and Abyss 1266 Phi TC) for a few months now. Positives - Class A, plenty of grunt, price. Negatives- bland, boring, no dynamics, no drive on either headphone. Sure the Abyss are demanding but the Focal Clear are not. Struggling to understand where the hype has come from.
Are you using single ended headphones output with balanced inputs?

Viognier

Or how can an amp have plenty of "grunt" but at the same time be bland and boring?

I mean I had an SA-1 and simply sent it back because of the odd volum

I mean I had an SA-1 and simply sent it back because of the odd volume control..
Specs suggest plenty of grunt which is what I was after for the Abyss cans.

doug2761

Forum Donor
Negatives- bland, boring, no dynamics, no drive on either headphone. Sure the Abyss are demanding but the Focal Clear are not. Struggling to understand where the hype has come from.
Perhaps you're getting it now that much of the subjective audio hype is simply that. Why should an extremely well performing amplifier sound better than another extremely well performing amplifier? Do you think they modify the audio signal in some magically and infinitely subtle and unmeasurable way? I bet if the unit was sexier looking and resonated with your emotions a bit more then you'd hear a difference.

For me the hype on a device like this is that you get a fantastically high fidelity device with enough output power for pretty much any headphone you'd ever want to use for around 600 USD. You could get a THX AAA headphone amp like the Monolith for $300 or a used Drop THX 789 for even less. Audibly transparent sound and lots of headphone power for half the price of the Singxer. Now that's even more to hype about. You really aren't going to get a device that is audibly more high fidelity at any higher price. That might be the reality that you are hearing.

okok

there're 16x j253g mosfet inside it, unlike the tpa6120 wave (red wave is not happening but 6120 wave is out there)

Veri

Master Contributor
IIRC Singxer was gonna make a discrete SA-1-like Topping L30 competitor.....
I wonder what happened to the development of it! :D

Last edited:

rsoffer

Yes, I had read on Headfi where a helpful post explained how an exponential volume pot works. Nevertheless I can tell you that I could listen to the Arya at max volume on the SA-1 with little discomfort while I can't go past 2pm on the V200 even for a couple of seconds.
Someone posted that it can drive also the Susvara and I just can't believe that it's true, at least based on the unit in my possession.

My experience is:
1. Arya - volume 90-95% (5 o'clock)
2. AdX5000 - 80-85% (4 o'clock)
3. CLEAR - 75% (3.30)
4. Q701 - 90-95% (same as Arya !!)
5. ELEGIA - 60% (2 o'clock)
6. DT990 600 ohm - 95-100% (yes, I hit the max volume and it was listenable)
7. DT1990 - 75-80%

In short the V200 offers more "reassuring" performance when it comes to drive very demanding headphones. I do not own an A90 but I suspect that whoever is after power as first priority might be served better by that. Perhaps also by the A30.

With that said, the SA-1 is much cheaper than a brand new V200 and if you are after a smoother sound is a purchase that makes sense. It is indeed closer to a tube sound without the distortion. If I were to keep it, I would use it with both my Focal.

I recently got a SA-1, running balanced from a Motu M2, balanced output to Focal Clears. I cannot go above 50% volume before it is unbearably loud. For those getting low volume from the SA-1, what does your chain look like?

rsoffer

Can anyone explain something related to this amp and gain levels?

On high gain it's at +11db. Some reviewers and normal listeners have noted that they weren't able to get enough drive out of this amp because it's only +11db, where standard amps are between +16db and +30db gain.

If that's the case, then what is the relationship between this gain level, volume, and measured power? If we're measuring 6+ watts out of this unit, why are there reports that it can't drive certain headphones and how is that related to this gain level?

DeckEQMaybe?

Every SA-1 review that I read or saw on YouTube said that the high frequencies were clearer and more detailed when the capacitors were bypassed. Some said a little and others said a lot different. The vast majority of owners seem to have performed the bypass. I bought the SA-1, but sold it soon afterward because compared to my other amps, the sound was definitely veiled (but I did not do the bypass and only tried it in SE input mode, with balanced headphone output mode using Sennheiser HD-660S).

Several other manufactures, including Schiit, claim that they have no capacitors in the signal path of their amps (at least on the models I looked at). My Schiit Magnius (in fully balanced mode) is incredibly more clear and detailed then the SA-1. But even the front panel headphone output on an old integrated speaker amp from Onkyo has better defined and clearer sound than the SA-1, and it is not just a matter of frequency response, since all these amps measure flat.
I'm guessing this Veil you speak of was simply not having enough power or volume/gain on your SA-1 set. I have a HD600. My chain is Laptop->Modius->SA-1->HD600. Running fully balanced in and out of SA-1 to HD600. I even use an EQ and I run on High Gain, Low-Z. This amp sounds incredible!! --IF-- you turn it up enough to get to dynamic volume I call it. And I didn't do the mod.

I bet a lot of the veil comments about certain sennheisers (and maybe this amp too) are simply not driving them with enough power or hearing soft instruments/or low timbre sound of instruments...when all they had to do was give them more power/switch to high gain/etc...Or they just dont like the frequency response the headphones are putting out, but that's why EQ is a great option.

My thoughts on reaching dynamic volume could change from song to song if you're on a streaming service and not listening to an album at a time. So again, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people don't change the volume pot enough on their amp and go this sounds veiled/weak/not special. Also this amp has a lot of volume at the end of the pot, and you have to turn it up higher than most amps. Could have been a simple thing, but who knows.

Last edited:
Top Bottom