• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplifier SINAD list ASR + 3rd parties

MingChops

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Done!

MingChops

Rhess00

Anyone have any thoughts on why the NAD M10 V2 has such a low Sinad (74) and the original M10 is listed as 86. I’m not sure if they use the same nCore module but they both use Sabre DACs. I would have expected a higher Sinad with any nCore.

welwynnick

Forum Donor
Anyone have any thoughts on why the NAD M10 V2 has such a low Sinad (74) and the original M10 is listed as 86. I’m not sure if they use the same nCore module but they both use Sabre DACs. I would have expected a higher Sinad with any nCore.
I couldn't find the test of the V2, but the difference may be down to using an analogue input instead of a digital input.

Rhess00

I couldn't find the test of the V2, but the difference may be down to using an analogue input instead of a digital input.
This is probably it. Amir saw wild swings in the noise floor using the analog input so he switched to coax. The M10 V2 data was taken from a Soundstage! review and they used the analog input. Thanks

rapidoshands

I've taken the time to try and break this data down in my own way, mainly rankings. The charts can be automatically updated if the excel source is updated too. Its in the form of a python notebook.

Some things I realised was some brands dominate certain categories with respect to sinad or thd 1% at certain price points. And because there's not many metrics in the source data set, changing the price can have a big impact on the rankings of each chart.

Rudguy66

I like this list, fun to look at. Funny how the higher into the stratosphere the amp is priced, the lower the SINAD. Not universally, but it sure seems prevalent. Altough in my experience there is a lot more to how an amplifier sounds that pure noise and distortion measurements. I think a looking at both measurements and subjective impressions, the reality is somewhere in the middle. Auditioning and listening to an amp in your system in your room with your speakers is also pretty mandatory when making a final decision whenever possible.

My amp happens to be towards the top of the list on that spreadsheet (NAD-C298), and I'm also very happy with what it's doing in my rig, but I'm sure there are amps out there that "may" not measure as well, and also "may" sound better to my ears. But it's always good to know that your gear also has specs that at least point towards a well engineered piece of equipment.

At any rate, great list. I'll be looking at it regularly.

Top Bottom