• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Show us your bicycles!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not much into taking a bike on a trail but the few times that I've biked thru the bush, the rear derailleur seems to be most susceptible to failure.
More so than the frame: Being on the lowest part of the bike while the protection from the pedal is about 25 degrees of each revolution...
I busted a rear derailleur too. Hit it on a rock and cracked the metal. Was not a expensive repair though. Was $100 for a new DX model plus labor.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
On the chromoly ride I bent the forks and replaced them with a heavy duty fork and that solved that issue before I broke the handlebars in half wheelying and broke a pedal when stomping on it. I basically busted whatever could not handle me popping wheelies and jumping off of the library stairs and ended up with a decent ride for hybrid use. I think if I buy again I'm going with thick fat 2.25" to 2.5" tires, longer like ~185mm strong crank arms and test ride the frame before committing to something I'm stuck with. Not sure if I need rear suspension for hybrid street use. Knowing me I'll be right back into abusing my ride if I buy another. I test drove a friends new Cannondale with full suspension and I broke the frame jumping off a loading bay dock at work and he got a new frame under warranty so that worked out well. So, I'm hesitant on buying a new ride and what that means. If I buy another I need something tough and rugged because I'm apparently prone to breaking rides and fussy about the ride comfort too.
Doesn't sound like a great bike for your use to start with :) How heavy are you? Only guy I know breaking pedals regularly is a huge guy doing huge hucks/drops. I use 2.6 and 2.8 tires on my most recent/most used mountain bikes. Longer cranks have more to do with your leg length, shorter would generally be stronger. I'm not sure what hybrid street use is particularly....I use road bikes and mountain bikes and don't usually use them outside of intended use. Cannondale's nickname is crack'n'fail :) Drops to flat are hard on a bike, tho, even if you are somewhat claiming warranty outside of intended use :) Better built bikes/components tend to cost more (and more effective generally than say spending more on audio :) ).

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Huh? o_O You? Labor? What on earth?
Why?
I always had the bike shop tune and repair my ride with my 2nd to last long term ride. Things went well until I was racing to make my car payment one day and the handlebars twisted and I ended up in 2 lanes of traffic on my chest all scraped up and bleeding. I forgave the mechanic and he was very apologetic and made sure to test all the fasteners for tightness and the handlebars for proper clamping on the bolt. What a day!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I busted a rear derailleur too. Hit it on a rock and cracked the metal. Was not a expensive repair though. Was $100 for a new DX model plus labor.
Hitting the derailleur is one thing, just busting the hanger is another. Installing a derailleur is pretty easy, tho I can understand paying someone to do it if you don't have the tools/inclination to do it yourself....

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I always had the bike shop tune and repair my ride with my 2nd to last long term ride.
I was misled to think you had a McGyver gene. :eek:
My bad!
What do they do when they tune your bike? Synthetic oil? Lubricate the cable innards? Check for EFI, NOx, OBD errors?
I can understand paying someone to do it if you don't have the tools/inclination to do it yourself....
He had us both fooled! He is fit, able, and got the inclination + tools.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Doesn't sound like a great bike for your use to start with :) How heavy are you?
I was 6 feet and ~178 pounds of very lean cross-training muscle at the time I was breaking mine and my buddies rides.
Only guy I know breaking pedals regularly is a huge guy doing huge hucks/drops.
I think you are correct on the grade of the ride I had. It needed to be built better.
I'm not sure what hybrid street use is particularly....I use road bikes and mountain bikes and don't usually use them outside of intended use.
Hybrid to me is a mix of street and dirt trail/sand too on a mountain bike style ride.
Cannondale's nickname is crack'n'fail :) Drops to flat are hard on a bike, tho, even if you are somewhat claiming warranty outside of intended use :)
I certainly tested the frame to it's limit that day. The loading dock was maybe 5 feet high and a concrete landing pad too. I popped a wheelie, took the fall, and landed on the rear wheel and it went well as far as I was concerned. Never even realized that I broke the frame down near the crank. Neither did my buddy until he went out riding again and found it springier than usual.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hitting the derailleur is one thing, just busting the hanger is another. Installing a derailleur is pretty easy, tho I can understand paying someone to do it if you don't have the tools/inclination to do it yourself....
I could afford the service of a bike techy at the time and it was no big thing. I was repairing mechatronics all day at work and just wanted to go riding without the grease, oil and fuss of doing the repairs myself.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What do they do when they tune your bike? Synthetic oil? Lubricate the cable innards? Check for EFI, NOx, OBD errors?
They adjust all the stuff and make it shift smooth and everything is supposed to be safety tested too. sigh*

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They adjust all the stuff and make it shift smooth and everything is supposed to be safety tested too. sigh*
Next you gonna tell us you go for weekly manicures: please don't, even if do! My image of you fell off the desk and shattered!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Next you gonna tell us you go for weekly manicures: please don't, even if do! My image of you fell off the desk and shattered!
RFLMA.. I have been thinking of getting my toenails done professionally....

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I always had the bike shop tune and repair my ride with my 2nd to last long term ride. Things went well until I was racing to make my car payment one day and the handlebars twisted and I ended up in 2 lanes of traffic on my chest all scraped up and bleeding. I forgave the mechanic and he was very apologetic and made sure to test all the fasteners for tightness and the handlebars for proper clamping on the bolt. What a day!
Yeah, I just prefer to do that for myself. Do you send audio gear to another tech ?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's when I ride the ride after the mechanic never safety tested it and I get hurt...LoL.
Most mechanics I know will just test for what you brought it in for. Hopefully they'd notice issues with an improperly adjusted headset/handlebar, but....

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Doodski, make sure to ask the techs for nitrogen air in your tires and single-origin mineral oil for your brakes!
Fortunately those sort of things don't exist in bike world nearly as much as some parallels to audio world I can think of :)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Most mechanics I know will just test for what you brought it in for. Hopefully they'd notice issues with an improperly adjusted headset/handlebar, but....
I learned a good lesson again that day...LoL. Never be afraid to confirm and clarify what a mechanic is doing to my ride. Don't be shy and if it has not been done then do it and bill me accordingly. It's not the bill I fear. It's the wipeouts that I fear. I had a similar experience with my Suzuki GS400E on the test drive day before I bought it. I was on a mountain pass at ~140kmh (~87mph). The oil drain bolt fell out and covered the rear tire in engine oil. It was a very weird sensation and after 35K miles of dirt biking experience all my spider senses where telling me not to stomp on the rear brake. So I used the front brake and slowed and at about 10mph I touched the rear brake and I almost dropped it. So I pushed it to the rest stop about 100 meters away and inspected the bike and saw that there was no damage and lo and behold a driver stopped and I asked him to telephone the bike shop when he got into town and he did and about 4 hours later the bike shop arrived with a truck and picked me up and the bike. That was a close call because on each side of the highway is a ~9:12 slope built of granite boulders. :D I did buy the bike and it turned out to be a wonderful ride for some years.
suzuki-gs-400-e-1.jpg

Top Bottom