• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Show us your audio tweaks, mods and extras

OP
CleanSound

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hookay....

I've gone in to some detail spread across other threads but since I can't be arsed to find them I'll just give you the quick version.

You can see some details of my room in this post. Pictured are my Thiel 2.7 speakers, but right now I'm using Joseph Audio speakers in their place.

It was retro-fitting a home theater system in to an older home, which also allowed for a separate 2 channel system, represented by the Thiel speakers pulled out near the sofa. The home theater speakers are covered in black velvet, to blend in with the black velvet screen surroundings. The room was designed with an architect and the input of an acoustician. If you look at the last image in that post you can see part of the built down ceiling structure. Instead of hard material, it's actually a frame covered in taught, dark brown velvet. This material is excellent for absorbing light so it doesn't reflect back on the projection screen. And it also provides some "ceiling cloud" effect for controlling the highs. Plus there are large sections of absorption/bass trapping built in the front and back, as well as some hidden in the corners of the room. I like it all out of sight.

As to tweaking acoustics 'n such. First, since I have some limitations in how far back I can move the speakers, because the right speaker would block the entranceway, I have the sofa on big sliders, so it's really easy to slide back and forth to dial in a desired seating distance.

I had a custom, thick, brown velvet cover made that hooks on to the fireplace beside the Left speaker, to kill the higher frequency reflections from the tiles. It works perfectly for this. As well, I have a slection of big, thick, brown velvet curtains that can be pulled across any part of the side (and back) walls. You can see one curtain partially pulled out by the fireplace here:

View attachment 336462

Then from inside the room facing the entrance, you can see the same type of curtains on the side and back wall corner (pictured with Joseph Audio speaker):

View attachment 336463

So I can modulate the sidewall reflectivity depending on where I place, or how thin I bunch up the curtains, and there's a curtain I can pull across the entranceway which also affects the sound. With that corner curtain pulled back leaving the room open to the hallway, the sound is more spacious and lively, the more I pull it to close the entrance, the more precise and intimate the sound, and the fine details of the recorded acoustic tend to predominate. Same with modulating the other curtains.

Then as I said I use the curved diffusor sometimes between the speakers. And I can adjust the reflectivity of the wall behind the speakers with the masking system.

It's really quite amazing how precisely one can dial in the sound character with these options. My ideal is to be enveloped, and to hear as much as the recorded acoustic as possible, rather than overwhelm it with room reflections. So I'm often cutting off some side wall reflection. But if I add the curved diffusor in the middle of the speakers, then I get this "best of both worlds" effect - I maintain the audibility of the finest recorded reverb/acoustics, but it also sounds more open and airy and lively - so it's like seeing right in to the recording space to live players kind of thing.

Works for me, anyway.
Post 13. That's how I play around with room acoustics. The sliding barn rail makes it easy to do it.

MCH

Major Contributor
My favourite system enhancements are:

A complete circuit to route signals, switch on/off all components with a single remote button, control volume, EQ, etc etc...

1703425101013.png

And the best thing since sliced bread: a wireless volume control knob!

Last edited:

norman bates

Forum Donor
One picture is of 1/2" f10 wool felt absorbing baffle edge reflections.

The concrete formers, sonotubes, are an inexpensive way to scatter room reflections.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just realized I have another couple things that could be put in to the "Tweaks and Mods" category.

1. My Turntable Platform.

The only spot for my new high mass, heavy Transrotor turntable (several years ago) was my small Lovan rack, which sat on a very springy wood floor. Since I wanted to isolate the Turntable from vibrations I did various (meagre) tests of materials, using a vibrometer etc, to see which materials and combinations seemed to isolate best. I concluded that some spring-based pods (Townshend Isolation Pods) were by far the best at isolating from floor borne vibration. And then since I'd already experimented with materials, I threw some of them in as well. So I ended up with a 2 1/2" stained maple butcher block, atop a sort of constrained layer combo of MDF boards/wall damping/sheet of steel/wall damping/MDF. And all that sits on the pods, atop my Lovan rack. You can see it all in this photo, beneath the silver turntable:

av-rack-quarter-view-copy-jpg.3393167

2. Custom Remote Control:

As I detailed in a thread devoted to the project, I was sick of operating my system via swiping on phones or with teeny little buttons on remotes. I wanted a very tactile, more luxurious feel for operating volume, which to me means a large, smoothly operating volume knob. But from the comfort of my listening chair. The problem was that I was operating two different preamps, both which use IR, and there was no such volume-knob product available that would learn IR codes. So I had one custom made for me by a Polish custom audio company. The result was a beautifully finished, satisfyingly solid and hefty, ergonomically designed wood cased remote with a big smooth volume knob that can operate any of my preamps, as well as my AV receiver, apple TV, etc. The knob is capable of sending additional commands by pressing the button, holding turning etc.

Here it is, one of my favourite "Mods" for my system:

index.php

index.php

Last edited:

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Small shelf based system. (My kitchen)
marantz m-cr610 (great basic 2.1 dsp/eq options)
2 x technics sb-f3 (chunky alloy, phase aligned (ish))
b&w asw608. Nice wee 8" sub.
Massive headroom for my wee kitchen...
IMG_20231228_220831.jpg

Last edited:

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have my speakers sitting on a couple of yoga blocks to get them up a few inches higher. No idea if there's any real audible benefit (although it does get the tweeters more at ear level)...but they do seem like they should be pretty good for the purpose in terms of isolating the speakers from the stands and so forth.

My desktop speakers (Revel M16) sit on black foam yoga blocks. Works very well.

izeek

decoupling
substand and pavers for subs.
towers naked-footed on pavers resting on 1" horsestall mat.
significantly reduced floor resonance. big reduction in boom and thud with carpeted wood floor. much more detail.

diy diffusion in the corners
might be hard to see. right corner almost the same color as the wall.
there's also one behind the couch on the right.

bass traps

heavy curtains.
fabric hangings on the backwall and door behind lp for some of the reflections.

Gregss

DIY grilles for my KH310s as the Neumann ones are stupidly pricey. No worries flying my wee indoor drones whilst intoxicated now. Yowsa.
View attachment 336033
Hello, Parts express.com has a grill frame kit that works pretty well. Have to buy the cloth separately. With some careful work and gluing the cloth in place, looks close to professional. Hint, if the thin cloth that you use is a polyester material, when get done can carefully, don't melt it, use a hair dryer to make the cloth shrink a bit and look like a good fit. Regard, Greg - Audio Nut

Top Bottom