• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Show us your bicycles!

hvbias

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Anyone here ride an e-MTB in an enduro/all mountain/trail geo? I have a 150/150 trail bike with a slightly slacker geo and some of the climbs are absolutely brutal here, and I'm in pretty good shape, a hair into the double digits with body fat. I think some of it is due to childhood asthma that has left my VO2 average or maybe below average.

Thinking about getting one of these e-MTBs (I would err more towards trail 150 range, unless a killer deal came up on more gravity oriented 160 bike... but really try and avoid a coil), as I want to take full advantage of our wonderful mountainous locale. I have been really happy with my D2C bike but people are suggesting to go back to dealer brand for an e-MTB as battery issues do popup? I saw some nice deals on a Specialized that fit that mold last fall.

Last edited:

napfkuchen

I have a 150/150 trail bike ...
My Giant Reign E+1 Pro (2020) is 170/whatever, Bought it used (only 300 km) for 3.200 Euro and have just passed 9,000 km with it. Apart from replacing wearing parts (mainly brake pads/discs and tires), things are going well so far:

IMG-20230301-WA0003.jpg

E-bikes are a great idea. Not only to get to work sweat-free, but also when different performance levels are represented in a group. For example, I can easily go on tours with my father. He's over 70, but still pretty fit. However, he tends to overestimate himself, so I also "prescribed" him a heart rate monitor. He has now (finally) accepted that regeneration works better with a lower heart rate...

hvbias

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My Giant Reign E+1 Pro (2020) is 170/whatever, Bought it used (only 300 km) for 3.200 Euro and have just passed 9,000 km with it. Apart from replacing wearing parts (mainly brake pads/discs and tires), things are going well so far:

View attachment 356927

E-bikes are a great idea. Not only to get to work sweat-free, but also when different performance levels are represented in a group. For example, I can easily go on tours with my father. He's over 70, but still pretty fit. However, he tends to overestimate himself, so I also "prescribed" him a heart rate monitor. He has now (finally) accepted that regeneration works better with a lower heart rate...

How do you like the handling, i.e., things like switchbacks? One reason I went with a trail bike though I've taken it to bike parks a couple of times is it felt more nimble than some of the enduro bikes I'd demoed. No doubt I'd be faster on an enduro bike at a bike park, but then it starts to get into the territory of having a bike for every occasion which I was not willing to do, I'd rather put that money towards my Nordost Odin cable budget :D

Probably worth mentioning my bike I use now: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/show-us-your-bicycles.28199/post-1827303

napfkuchen

If I compare my current bike with its predecessor (2017 Cube Stereo Hybrid 160), then it is significantly more agile. However, my skills and abilities in technical sections are rather limited (to put it politely) and I value stability and comfort more. That's why I put approx. 3 cm spacers on the headset and shortened the handlebars a little. Before the changes, the weight distribution was very front-heavy and my shoulders became “noticeable” on longer tours... But of course that all depends on your own proportions and the bike geometry.
Especially if you can work on your bike yourself, D2C offers are certainly a good way to save a bit. As for the problems with the battery: These can easily be solved with a Nordost Lithium Stabilizer ® power cable. They optimally align the electrons flowing into the battery and also compensate for dangerous voltage fluctuations. I bought the model with a recycler cable sheath that allows at least some of the used energy to flow back into the battery (up to 37 % range extension).:cool:

This was originally my old GT mountain bike, i didn´t wanted to"just put in in the thrash and buy a new one" as the bike enthusiasts around me recommended. Since i am not doing offroad biking recently, but more like city biking, i have used the old aluminium frame, sanded the paint and polished the metal, and also striped the derailleurs, changed the handlebars to more wide ones, and installed nice natural rubber brooks seat and front handles. And also installed nice german Magura hydraulic brakes. So it is somehow DIY repurposed bike :)
View attachment 166223
I love everything this represents. Yeah, the frame is design- and craft-ugly (hideous, in fact; look at those welds), but the refinish you did is great. And that chainring is beautiful! Nice work all-around.

Adam Bernau

Forum Donor
I love everything this represents. Yeah, the frame is design- and craft-ugly (hideous, in fact; look at those welds), but the refinish you did is great. And that chainring is beautiful! Nice work all-around.
Thanks! I am glad you like it. Just a garage fun project with no ambitions i would say :)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Worth watching this guy build things...

World's First SCREW-BIKE​

Top Bottom