• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should I clean new vinyl?

mcdonalk

For the first time in over 40 years, I have bought three new vinyl pressings (because the music was only alternately available as mp3 downloads). Do I need to clean this new vinyl before listening to them? I never used to clean new vinyl in the old days.

thanks

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
“Audiophile” focused pressings typically come in the plastic anti static sleeves while consumer pressings are in paper sleeves. My experience is that paper sleeves left more visible dust so they benefit from a quick cleaning. If it looks clean, don’t worry.

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You always need to clean every record that you bought, used or new.
Factories aren't hospitals, and the packaging process isn't very "dust / hands free"

If you want the best sound from your records, they need to be clean and with a clean stylus.

Travis

You always need to clean every record that you bought, used or new.
Factories aren't hospitals, and the packaging process isn't very "dust / hands free"

If you want the best sound from your records, they need to be clean and with a clean stylus.
Yes, and the mold release compound varies from place to place.

JP

Major Contributor

MCH

Major Contributor
For the first time in over 40 years, I have bought three new vinyl pressings (because the music was only alternately available as mp3 downloads). Do I need to clean this new vinyl before listening to them? I never used to clean new vinyl in the old days.

thanks
What do you call cleaning?
Passing one of those fiber brushes? Yes, sure, why not.
Water and soap, sonics or similar? Nah, not necessary with a brand new record imo.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Those are in the vinyl formulation itself.
Yes, but they leach out and leave a sticky deposit in the grooves. It pays to use an alcohol based cleaning solution with a vacuum record cleaning machine to get that out before playing for the first time. Subsequent cleaning can then be done as required, but I would always clean any new records before playing.

S

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
I generally try to play new records without doing anything to them. If they're visibly dirty I will use a carbon brush. I will record the 1st play into the PC while the vinyl is pristine. After that, before I put them into plastic sleeves I will clean both sides and apply antistatic so they will remain clean for a long time.

If they pop or click on 1st playthrough I will wash them right away. If you keep them in the paper sleeves and they play well I see no reason for cleaning.

JP

Major Contributor
Yes, but they leach out and leave a sticky deposit in the grooves. It pays to use an alcohol based cleaning solution with a vacuum record cleaning machine to get that out before playing for the first time. Subsequent cleaning can then be done as required, but I would always clean any new records before playing.

S

~1500 new records in the last decade, have never seen sticky grooves. The last time I waded through all the FUD on the topic to try and determine what was real, the take-away was that the release "compounds" are integral to the formulation. Perhaps a materials expert can shed some light - @SIY?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
~1500 new records in the last decade, have never seen sticky grooves. The last time I waded through all the FUD on the topic to try and determine what was real, the take-away was that the release "compounds" are integral to the formulation. Perhaps a materials expert can shed some light - @SIY?
External mold release is not used for vinyl. There are some internal waxes, but like most thermoplastics, vinyl doesn't tend to stick to molds (higher CTE than metal molds).

Galliardist

Major Contributor

S
It was never a problem with new records back when I was buying them. Leaching of compounds over a couple of years would occasionally cause a sudden rise in background noise or a milky discolouration and I would get discs that showed that behaviour wet cleaned. That was often referred to as mould release agent but it's most likely a lubricant/plasticiser added to allow the vinyl to spread evenly during pressing.

I had a couple of thousand records and saw maybe half a dozen do this, all pressed in the mid 1980s when recycling old vinyl seemed to have increased.

I've never seen any first have evidence of sticky deposits in new records: lots of claims, but you'd think if it was a thing these days there would be a clickbait YouTube video?

Normal dust and muck is a good enough reason to clean new records though.

Reactions: MAB

JP

Major Contributor
External mold release is not used for vinyl. There are some internal waxes, but like most thermoplastics, vinyl doesn't tend to stick to molds (higher CTE than metal molds).

So no "release compounds" to leach out that could make the vinyl sticky as mentioned above?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
(because the music was only alternately available as mp3 downloads)
I that situation I always chose the MP3 :p No surface noise or other "obvious defects". It's not "terrible" and I prefer it to vinyl.

...I have an iPod full of MP3s (mostly V0 quality) and every time I've thought I was hearing a compression artifact the CD has turned-out to have the same "defect".

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
So no "release compounds" to leach out that could make the vinyl sticky as mentioned above?
Some internal plasticizers might, but unlikely. And even less likely that they’d be sticky.

Reactions: JP

JP

Major Contributor
Some internal plasticizers might, but unlikely. And even less likely that they’d be sticky.

I've seen anecdotes for years that freshly cleaned vinyl, particularly with a solvent, exhibits higher stylus friction immediately after cleaning. This is often attributed to leached plasticizer being removed, though I don't recall anything formal on the topic.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I've seen anecdotes for years that freshly cleaned vinyl, particularly with a solvent, exhibits higher stylus friction immediately after cleaning. This is often attributed to leached plasticizer being removed, though I don't recall anything formal on the topic.
My big mystery is why the Lenco cleaning system leaves the surface extra noisy. Permanently.

Anton D

I will allow that my approach is primarily habit based….

I clean every LP as it enters my possession; new or used.

I am pretty meticulous in my LP handling so after that I only carbon ‘dust’ for future playback.

I have a favorite carbon brush, the Ursa Major.

Anton D

I admit to having a hard time with his Dan Ackroyd schtick, does anybody clean using Kirmuss system?

I confess to being dubious regarding the veracity of his claims.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do clean new vinyl, especially if it has been in a paper sleeve. I do a quick ultrasonic clean in a Humminguru and then re-sleeve into a MoFi (or equivalent) inner sleeve. I’ve sometimes played a new record right out of the package if I’m feeling lazy or time limited, but I’ll generally go back later to clean and re-sleeve it.

Top Bottom