• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should I clean new vinyl?

cgallery

I'm less sceptical when it comes to homemade fluids. I think most detergents are up to the task of cleaning a vinyl surface but a rinse stage is essential. I was frustrated by freshly cleaned records coming out noisier until I started doing a thorough rinse.

And you're absolutely correct that tap water is lethal.

You're missing my point, I'm not skeptical of homemade fluids at all.

Repeatedly bathing records in tap water that is allowed to dry is going to make for very, very noise albums that resist conventional cleaning methods.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
You're missing my point, I'm not skeptical of homemade fluids at all.

Repeatedly bathing records in tap water that is allowed to dry is going to make for very, very noise albums that resist conventional cleaning methods.
I only used Lenco's fluids.

For my home-brew cleaning solutions, the base is distilled/deionized water, with some co-solvent and an excellent surfactant (which sadly I no longer have a license for, now that I'm out of the wet chemistry industry).

cgallery

For my home-brew cleaning solutions, the base is distilled/deionized water, with some co-solvent and an excellent surfactant (which sadly I no longer have a license for, now that I'm out of the wet chemistry industry).

Oh I'd heard of homemade fluid causing problems, not the real deal. Carry on.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

At our lab they have removed the MilliQ filtered water due to its low use, I used to take some for vinyl cleaning together with various detergents for experiments (both anionic, ionic and zwitterionic). The small amounts of ultra-pure water needed are today bought instead. Perhaps there are some 0.22 um filtering units left.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m a whole lot obsessive about record cleaning than Neil Antin. I do clean using a Humminguru ultrasonic with my own home brew cleaning agent and grocery store distilled water. I get results that make me happy.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone inspected the grooves with UV light? Here is a pretty old record, not cleaned.
S20231101_003.jpg

S20231101_001.jpg

It seems that, other than bigger brighter (loose) particles, there fine grooves sometimes lit up, either with small foci or lines. Does this mean "dirt" that is packed into the grooves?

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My big mystery is why the Lenco cleaning system leaves the surface extra noisy. Permanently.
Regarding "permanently" noisy, I had a similar experience with at least one record. It works to reduce noise by it seems to take many rounds of cleaning.

Top Bottom