• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shanling SCD1.3 SACD/CD Player Wi-Fi/Bluetooth Streamer

zeropoint

I thought some might be interested in this new fairly moderately priced SACD player, with extras..

9dd68b0cb692a1988612010b103a61d4218.jpg

Platypus20

Forum Donor
I want a SACD player, that does not have a streamer or function as a DAC for other equipment and one that’s not a Blue-ray disc player with all the TV crap, I want a basic CD/SACD player, they are hard to find

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I want a SACD player, that does not have a streamer or function as a DAC for other equipment and one that’s not a Blue-ray disc player with all the TV crap, I want a basic CD/SACD player, they are hard to find

I had the Marantz SA-10 which is one of the very best SACD players out there. That said, when I switched to the Sony BD players to handle DSD to 176.4 kHz (as opposed to 88.2) running into a high end AV processor, I felt like the overall performance was similar enough.

That said, the vintage Sony SCD players of all vintages were all pretty good.

Platypus20

Forum Donor
Problem with Blue-Ray players is I do not want to add a TV screen to see track content, it’s a stereo, not a AV system, no computers either

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Problem with Blue-Ray players is I do not want to add a TV screen to see track content, it’s a stereo, not a AV system, no computers either
Agreed. The remote quality is also very important.

The cheapest modern SACD player I know of is the Arcam CDS50 which can be found for $1000 new and cheaper used as well as the Denon DCD-1700NE

Platypus20

Forum Donor
That it does, will look into it, thank you

Arcam as digital inputs, not something I want, but thank you

Last edited:

Scytales

Forum Donor
Regrettably, this new SA-CD player does not have multichannel analogue outputs, which defeat the most important aspect of the format.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now listed at @Audiophonics
1299€.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
1299€.
So the USB input plays back DSD 512 directly but SACDs are converted to 88.2 PCM? Odd.

I suspect it’s two devices in the same box somehow and I think I’d want measurements to understand the how and why before buying.

oceansize

Forum Donor
So the USB input plays back DSD 512 directly but SACDs are converted to 88.2 PCM? Odd.

I suspect it’s two devices in the same box somehow and I think I’d want measurements to understand the how and why before buying.
Sony locked down the SACD format to prevent people capturing/distributing the DSD streams via the digital outputs of the players. It was only happenstance that someone discovered that some Playstations could copy the DSD streams and that a few players became available with workarounds to do the same.

Roland68

Major Contributor
The Pioneer PD-50AE is also new and available for under $1000.
But you should also take a look at the used market. Especially with older Sony SACD/DVD players you should simply ignore the TV section.
For example, you can get a Sony DVP-S9000ES cheaper, sometimes in good condition, for under $500. And if you take a look inside and at the workmanship quality, the current devices no longer look so good. The part is a tank and no savings were made on components back then. But there are also good alternatives around $200-300.

Bgall1982

If you listen to the SACD directly from the device you get the content @full resolution. If you decide to use this device as a "Transport " is then /when it'll convert tge audio to 88.2pcm

VinylValet

I own both the SCD1.3 and a highly modified Sony DVP-S9000ES. Looking inside a product to predict sound quality, IMHO, isn't a great idea. The SCD1.3 is a far better sounding player and you don't have to search around for a replacement laser, which you will most likely need to do soon after purchasing a used S9000ES.

For the many folks that have no interest in multi-channel music or home theatre, including myself, the SCD1.3 is a tremendous sounding player, both with SACD and redbook. Based on what I'm hearing after around 200 hours of dynamic signal and left on all the time, there is no SACD player currently out there that I know of at this price that sounds as good, new or used. So far, I've only used it with the balanced outputs of the internal DAC directly driving ATC SCM50ASLT active speakers. I look forward to using it as a transport with one of the following DACs I currently use: Weiss DAC501 and Audio Note 4.1x.

Last edited:

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
1299€.

Bad design. Everyone knows the VU meters are supposed to be at the top.

Top Bottom