• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon DCD-1700NE CD/SACD player measurements

only.shallow

Hi. A review and measurements were recently published on hifinews for the Denon DCD-1700NE CD/SACD player along with its accomping amp. At $1500, the DCD-1700NE seems to be in the median price bracket for a new SACD player but how do the measurements look to you all? Average, bad? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Maximum output level / Impedance2.36Vrms / 97ohm
A-wtd S/N ratio (CD / SACD)110.1dB / 110.6dB
Distortion (1kHz, 0dBFs/–30dBFs)0.00085% / 0.0035%
Distortion & Noise (20kHz, 0dBFs/–30dBFs)0.00070% / 0.0016%
Freq. resp. (CD, 20Hz-20kHz / 100kHz)+0.0 to –1.8dB/–13.6dB (SACD)
Digital jitter (CD / SACD)114psec / 56psec
Resolution @ –100dB (CD / SACD)±0.2dB / ±0.1dB
Power consumption14W (1W standby)
Dimensions (WHD) / Weight434x135x384mm / 9.8kg

kongkong

here is more specific measurement (by Sound stage network audio precision)

I can see ps hum noise and jitter noise (when use coaxial input).
It is not 'SOTA' amplifier but I think good enough.
I also like to use seprated DAC (topping or audio interface which is made more technically) and want to use Purifi, but Denon usually have good build quaility and after service.
Also it will very easy to use with one remote control. (Multifunctional all-in-one amplifier can connect easily to desktop, tv, turn table etc...)

Nowdays I use audio interface and minidsp for my KH80 and mini subwoofer in my working room, but 1700ne will give more convenience for beginner.
I also had similar one (Pioneer's all-in-one streaming amplifier) when I didn't have nearfield audio system and exprience was good.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

kongkong

그것은 1700NE 라인의 통합 앰프이지만 원래 게시물은 SACD 플레이어용입니다.

0.00070% THD+N은 103dB SINAD로 변환되며 이는 Marantz SACD 30n/SA-10 클래스에 해당합니다.

SA-10은 HifiNews에서 0.00130%였지만 이는 98dB SINAD에 불과합니다. (아미르가 얻은 105와 비교).

따라서 Denon은 아마도 APx555를 사용하면 105-110에 도달할 것입니다.
Opps I only read pma-1700ne. thx for noticing mistake:)

You indicate @VintageFlanker 's measurement, arn't you?

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-measurements-sacd-player-dac-streamer.33430/
here is Vintage Flanker's

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/marantz-sa-10-review-sacd-player-dac.31686/
And this is SA-10 meausred by Amir

I hope their measurement can be useful to OP.

Last edited:

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You indicate @VintageFlanker 's measurement, arn't you?

Yes. I also measured the SA-10 in the same thread as Amir and got a little bit extra SINAD.

Actually, looking at it,I don’t know if that 20kHz measurement for the Denon is a single tone or range.

The SACD30n has lower distortion but higher noise, but they don’t report the same set of data

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, and for whatever it is worth, I enjoyed my Marantz SA-10/PM-10 combo but I switched to a Sony UBP-X800MK2 which converts SACD to 24-176 PCM (using Sony’s algorithms) which then runs to a Yamaha CX-A5100 or Monolith HTP-1. While peak SINAD is lower, at the output voltages i deal with, the end result is very similar.

Nothing wrong with the Marantz combo and it looked and operated well. I thought it would be my end-game electronics stack as I looked for a speaker combo that would be end game also. Ultimately, I sold the Marantz gear to finance the move to the Meyer Sound Amie speakers which are end game in their size for my room given their ability to perceptually upgrade the room.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
A review and measurements were recently published on hifinews for the Denon DCD-1700NE CD/SACD player along with its accomping amp. At $1500, the DCD-1700NE seems to be in the median price bracket for a new SACD player but how do the measurements look to you all? Average, bad? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
More than good enough for a line-level device. Looks like Denon found some decent opamps, the 0.00017% 1 kHz distortion for SACD is almost an order of magnitude better than spec. Why dynamic range would fall this much short of DAC spec I'm not sure, but it doesn't matter either. No testing of intersample-over handling, unfortunately, the PCM1795 should be one of those DACs with an affinity to hard-clipping at 0 dBFS and it doesn't look like there is a digital volume control. Their power consumption testing setup could apparently use an update, I wouldn't expect real life to deviate by a factor of 10 from official spec (0.1 W standby), particularly in the face of current EU legislation (max 0.5 W).

In sum, it's not a very exciting device. It's a quality traditional CD/SACD player with minor updates. You could have bought one very much like it 10-15 years ago. Not sure how many they're expecting to shift at that kind of price.

OP
only.shallow

only.shallow

Thanks everybody for the help! I was waiting this year for the Schiit Urd to finally go on sale but at $1300... I might as well spend a couple of extra $$$ and get a SACD player. Regardless, I'm just looking for a solid disc player that plays well enough for CD and/or SACD; I have a streaming system that plays great for high res stuff.

Also this is the BEST time to be buying used CD/SACDs at cheap prices. Many great releases with excellent masters that can be played and/or ripped to a server. I love streaming but way too many great titles with shit masters. I am curious if there will be more CD players on the market in the future as buying and shipping vinyl has become horribly expensive.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Oh, and for whatever it is worth, I enjoyed my Marantz SA-10/PM-10 combo but I switched to a Sony UBP-X800MK2 which converts SACD to 24-176 PCM (using Sony’s algorithms) which then runs to a Yamaha CX-A5100 or Monolith HTP-1. While peak SINAD is lower, at the output voltages i deal with, the end result is very similar.

Nothing wrong with the Marantz combo and it looked and operated well. I thought it would be my end-game electronics stack as I looked for a speaker combo that would be end game also. Ultimately, I sold the Marantz gear to finance the move to the Meyer Sound Amie speakers which are end game in their size for my room given their ability to perceptually upgrade the room.

How good is that algorithm? I’m look for a 4K Blu-ray player anyway.

Scytales

Forum Donor
That is the integrated amp in the 1700NE line but the original post is for the SACD player.

0.00070% THD+N translates into 103 dB SINAD which puts it in the Marantz SACD 30n/SA-10 class.

The SA-10 was 0.00130% at HifiNews though which is only 98 dB SINAD. (Compared to the 105 Amir got).

So the Denon probably would reach 105-110 with an APx555.

The 0.00130 % THD+N at 0 dBFS obtained by HFN tester Paul Miller with its own Miller Audio Research QC Suite analyzer was at 20 kHz, not 1 kHz as in amirm's review: https://www.sarte-audio.com/sites/d...rantz_sa-10_hi-fi_news_review_march_20170.pdf

As can be seen on the website of Miller Audio Research (registration required to see test results other than those of 2003 and 2004 years), THD with the QC Suite is computed over the 2nd to the 4th harmonics: http://www.milleraudioresearch.com/avtech/avtech_1.html

Marantz has designed it's own 1 bit noise-shaped DAC for its SA-10. Hence the higher THD+N reading at 20 kHz: the "N" term most probably incorporates the noise level, which is shaped by the sigma-delta DAC, above 20 kHz up to at least 80 kHz.

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
The sure thing is that specs are way better as time goes by.
That's my old (20 yo) DENON DVD5000 which was really good for the time:

DVD 5000.PNG

Analyzers have evolve too,so...

Top Bottom