• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Vidar Amplifier Review

digicidal

Major Contributor
Why does this simple, basic power amplifier have what appears to be a microprocessor in it? What is there to microprocess?
:oops:
Biasing? Dunno for sure... and it's even got a nice connection for updating, etc. It is a bit perplexing to me as well.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why does this simple, basic power amplifier have what appears to be a microprocessor in it? What is there to microprocess?
Good question. I was peeking at that too. Perhaps it records output use parameters and indicates if abuse has occurred?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 58961
It's described on their website...

"Intelligent Oversight and Protection
In Vidar, a microprocessor oversees important aspects of amplifier operation, from DC offset to over-current and over-temperature faults. This provides stable, safe operation without invasive current-limiting, fuses, or active devices in the power supply path. In English, Vidar makes sure it’s operating optimally at all times—and protects itself when it needs to, so you can be assured of excellent performance for a long, long time. "

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Good question. I was peeking at that too. Perhaps it records output use parameters and indicates if abuse has occurred?
A black box in a class AB power amp with a linear P/S... how Orwellian.

:eek:
It's described in their website...

In Vidar, a microprocessor oversees important aspects of amplifier operation, from DC offset to over-current and over-temperature faults. This provides stable, safe operation without invasive current-limiting, fuses, or active devices in the power supply path. In English, Vidar makes sure it’s operating optimally at all times—and protects itself when it needs to, so you can be assured of excellent performance for a long, long time. "
Thanks! I actually was just getting ready to look at their website -- but I didn't want to waste a good ol' case of dudgeon first! ;)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
According to Schiit.
https://www.schiit.com/products/vidar

"No-Excuses Amp, No-Brainer Price
Vidar is nothing less than a no-excuses, exotic-topology, Class-AB, linear-supply, microprocessor-controlled, power-doubling, dual-mono-ish, intelligently-managed, drives-almost-anything power amp. No Class D, no switching supplies, no fans, no compromises, nothing in the signal path but music—for a three-figure price tag."

Intelligent Oversight and Protection
In Vidar, a microprocessor oversees important aspects of amplifier operation, from DC offset to over-current and over-temperature faults. This provides stable, safe operation without invasive current-limiting, fuses, or active devices in the power supply path. In English, Vidar makes sure it’s operating optimally at all times—and protects itself when it needs to, so you can be assured of excellent performance for a long, long time.

That's pretty snazzy for a class AB amp.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Seems like a nice little power amp for 700 smackers to me, I've gotta say.

EDIT: Seems like the kind of amplifier that would have the hifi press damping dampening their drawers -- if it cost $12,000 and if it were laser-machined from a solid block of 316 stainless steel. Of course, to be a "Class A" component, that microprocessor would have to be discrete and point-to-point wired -- because, you know, audiophile.

Jeez, I need to turn off cynical mode this morning! Need. More. Coffee.

:)

Last edited:

Jake's Dad

I've been using a Vidar, in combination with a Saga pre-amp, for about 18 months. Very happy with the combination, and the price point. The Vidar has been rock solid, i.e., musically colorless (transparent), and the microprocessor has been working as advertised. One aspect that hasn't been mentioned is that its design and layout have been arranged to optimize air flow and cooling within a very small (narrow) form factor. In some use cases, that narrow form factor alone is the "killer app." Compare that to the Outlaw 2200 which is standard rack width (17"). I read Amir's review to say, in sum, that Vidar's flaws are essentially inaudible, and the package comes at an attractive price. That means its something one can recommend with a clear conscience. As another poster mentioned, if Amir's standard for a recommendation was perfection, then by definition he'd only have one positive review and (virtually) everything else gets a fail. He never said (in fact just the opposite) that Vidar's the best he's heard.

Last edited:

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Schiit seems to be a success story of a manufacturer that finally has started paying attention to measurements, at least for some of its products. And the performance of the Schitt Magni Heresy is tremendous. Good to see the Vidar is a solid if not spectacular performer.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Unlike class D amplifiers with regulated power supplies, class AB amps like Vidar have much higher peak performance for short duration

Does this give class A/AB amps any real-world advantage over class D amps? Transient response?

birkbott

This is my amp.

I’ve seen a few people mention the Crown XLS line as a comparison and I will mention that my experience with the Crown XLS 1502 was basically terrible. High noise floor, no resolution. Lots of power but too muddy/hissy for my tastes.

By comparison the Vidar is clear and transparent. No audible flaws to my ears.

I’m surprised at the SINAD measurements to be honest, I would have thought it would be much better.

wwenze

Major Contributor
It is possible you got common-mode noise issues with the Crown (lol SMPS) and not with the Vidar. It usually escapes detection by audio analyzers but when it happens in a practical setup, it is real. (Real = repeatable and measurable)

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The only way an XLS1502 has a high noise floor is with very efficient speakers or near field. No way is it muddy. It even has bass management built in.

My take is the Vidar is OK, but for about the same money I would go with a pair of Emotiva PA1's. No heat and a little more power.

ElNino

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This is much performance than I expected, having owned one of the early production units.

Is there any chance you can do IMD measurements?

BostonJack

Editor
For some reason this reminds me of a Harmonn-Kardon amp I had in the mid 70's. It was 60 wpc, simple but clean chassis and just oozed good design when you took the skins off. Did its job, drove any speaker I owned well. Pride of ownership. I can't recall the distortion specs, but they were good for the day and completely buried beneath the quirks and blips of vinyl as a source.

birkbott

The only way an XLS1502 has a high noise floor is with very efficient speakers or near field. No way is it muddy. It even has bass management built in.

My take is the Vidar is OK, but for about the same money I would go with a pair of Emotiva PA1's. No heat and a little more power.

Funny I actually ended up replacing the Crown and Vidar with a pair of PA-1s and they sound great.

My speakers are 86db and the Crown sounded like garbage. Just my experience. Maybe it didn’t match well with the zero-gain Schiit Saga.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's described on their website...

So you could do chip mods for more power?

:D

Rene

Any chance you ran this into 4 and 8 Ohm loads off the XLR input?

Good point.

Using the XLR input to achieve mono operation may prove problematic for some users. It appears that the XLR is simply pinned out as pin2 to one channel, pin 3 to the other. This arrangement will not work properly for any source with only impedance balanced XLR outputs; this is the case where only one polarity of the XLR is driven and the other simply has the same output impedance. This is very common in pro audio equipment and satisfies the "balance equation" for common-mode rejection. That job should be handled by the input!

The Vidar mono mode will likely not work properly with equipment with transformer outputs either. Probably not important for most audiophiles.

Tom C

Major Contributor
I’ve owned a Schiit Vidar for about a year now. My only complaint is a low-level mechanical buzz that can be heard from the unit itself whenever it is on. The buzz can be heard when the wires are disconnected from the speakers. It’s noise, but it’s not in the audio signal. I’ve read here that it may be from DC contamination of my household current, but so far I haven’t wanted to spend the money on yet another device to see if it can be eliminated. I can’t help but see it as a flaw of design and/or manufacture.
In my understanding of what I’ve read on this forum in postings by experts, the measured SINAD of Vidar puts it into the transparent category. That is is say, further improvements in this regard are an unnecessary waste of resources that cannot be perceived by the human ear.
The family of curves provided by Amir shows the distortion rising with frequency, but even worst case is imperceptible or nearly imperceptible, and out of my hearing range at 20kHz. The measured distortion at frequencies that are within my hearing range, I expect are imperceptible to me.
Class D will be more efficient, of course, but shouldn’t be able to deliver an audible improvement in sound quality. In fact, any improvement in sound quality (other than increased power delivery) should not be possible, right?

Top Bottom