• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Modius Balanced DAC Review

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And a Schiit amp with Purifi modules would also be awesome. I think a lot of people on this forum would be buying that!

I asked Jason about using class D modules once and the answer was something like no way. So I would not count on that....
Makes way for VTV amplifiers to sell class D modules in the US.

Ultor

Oh right a balanced cable would work :D personally, not a fan of Jotunheim..

But still i have a question in mind, is D5 alone, really more appropriate than this Modius and an Amp?
Desktop space is not an issue, and my budget is about $700 (without shipping and custom fees).

Last edited:

maxp779

I get how this can sound silly but I banned non-USB-C devices a few years ago, and that’s the only reason I’m going to wait for a future Schiit DAC vs this.

Would love to see a slightly higher end version with the AK4499 and USB-C for around $299.

And a Schiit amp with Purifi modules would also be awesome. I think a lot of people on this forum would be buying that!

Same. Not to dump on micro USB too much, it was a standard which was widely adopted and was 1000 times better than the absolute mess of proprietary phone chargers and stuff which came before it. But it was a flimsy connector and its replacement has been around long enough warrant not using it anymore. It had a good run, USB C is where it's at now.

Veri

Master Contributor

But still i have a question in mind, is D5 alone, really more appropriate than this Modius and an Amp?
Desktop space is not an issue, and my budget is about $700 (without shipping and custom fees).
Honestly for $700 I'd get the drop 789 and the Modius. That would work awesome. The D5 over XLR output is one of the best all-in-one devices on the market together with M500(single-ended amp). But separates will always perform a little better for the same $, it seems.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Same. Not to dump on micro USB too much, it was a standard which was widely adopted and was 1000 times better than the absolute mess of proprietary phone chargers and stuff which came before it. But it was a flimsy connector and its replacement has been around long enough warrant not using it anymore. It had a good run, USB C is where it's at now.

Micro USB was a clear downgrade from the existing standard of mini USB though...

Ultor

Honestly for $700 I'd get the drop 789 and the Modius. That would work awesome. The D5 over XLR output is one of the best all-in-one devices on the market together with M500(single-ended amp). But separates will always perform a little better for the same $, it seems.

What do you think about the Monolith THX AAA 887 ?

Veri

Master Contributor
What do you think about the Monolith THX AAA 887 ?
It is essentially the 789 with a better knob that is less scratchy at the lowest levels. In absolute audible terms it should sound the exact same, the functionality is also the exact same. The drop is $299 which is really competitive.

dpippel

It is essentially the 789 with a better knob that is less scratchy at the lowest levels. In absolute audible terms it should sound the exact same, the functionality is also the exact same. The drop is $299 which is really competitive.

Don't forget the 887 has that nice machined aluminum case. :)

dfuller

Major Contributor
Micro USB was a clear downgrade from the existing standard of mini USB though...
Not really. Mini USB had the port wear out and micro has the cable wear out.

doug

I've been enjoying a full-stack Benchmark setup here for about 2 years now (DAC3/HPA4/dual AHB2) Qobuz-fed via a Node 2. Superb system in so many ways.

Through it all, the only component that I'd even possibly consider as something I'd want to upgrade is the DAC3. And not because I don't like it - I really like it, and it has no issues far as I can tell.

And yet, I'm curious to see what I'd hear with this new Modius DAC. For $200, I may give it a go for a month or so. (Or I might not - I may just be wasting my time.) I wish the Modius had a 12v trigger port like the Benchmark components have, but I could just leave the DAC on 24/7 and see how that goes.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been enjoying a full-stack Benchmark setup here for about 2 years now (DAC3/HPA4/dual AHB2) Qobuz-fed via a Node 2. Superb system in so many ways.

Through it all, the only component that I'd even possibly consider as something I'd want to upgrade is the DAC3. And not because I don't like it - I really like it, and it has no issues far as I can tell.

And yet, I'm curious to see what I'd hear with this new Modius DAC. For $200, I may give it a go for a month or so. (Or I might not - I may just be wasting my time.) I wish the Modius had a 12v trigger port like the Benchmark components have, but I could just leave the DAC on 24/7 and see how that goes.
The only new sounds you will hear are the keystrokes entering your CC# on Schiit’s website.
Would love to see a pic of your set up btw!

doug

The only new sounds you will hear are the keystrokes entering your CC# on Schiit’s website.
Would love to see a pic of your set up btw!

If that's the case (which I doubt), then I'd come out ahead by selling the DAC3 HGC. My setup looks just like you'd probably expect it to look: minimal footprint, low-key, and for me anyway, end-game performance. And what the HPA4 did with my Senn HD800s 'phones still amazes me.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If that's the case (which I doubt), then I'd come out ahead by selling the DAC3 HGC. My setup looks just like you'd probably expect it to look: minimal footprint, low-key, and for me anyway, end-game performance. And what the HPA4 did with my Senn HD800s 'phones still amazes me.
Just looking at the specs for the DAC3 it has some functionality that the Schiit does not, so it depends how you are using it I guess. As far as the Schiit sounding different...
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...le-thinking-a-dac-has-a-sound-signature.9245/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-thresholds-of-amp-and-dac-measurements.5734/

pyrexia

How does the unison usb compared as a usb input vs the gen 5 usb input to an Eitr and then to a Modi in regards to noise/jitter elimination?

Theriverlethe

So Modius or Soncoz LA-QXD1?

I’d say it would come down to aesthetic preference, shipping cost to your location, etc. I like the Modius’ ability to run off USB power, eliminating an extra cable.

If you’re in North America, it would probably be a lot easier to get warranty service if anything goes wrong. It looks like Schiit has a two-year warranty and Soncoz only has one year of support.

Top Bottom