• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Magni 3+ and Heresy Headphone Amp Reviews

makmeksam

Oh I didn't realize there's a black Modi 3, no need for Modi Heresy then :).
Stack is gonna have three colors with the black modi. Red, black and gray :confused:.
I am thinking of ways to get rid of red in heresy.

Ratatoskr

@makmeksam look at all Schiit has accomplished in 2019 I think it is unprecendented. Early next year all upgradeable DACs will have their new proprietary Unison USB receiver Bifrost 2 already has, which is a big deal. They may still get the Jotunheim R out this month, which I have been waiting for before buying the RAAL SR1a's.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Well USB for audio was pretty much 'solved' a decade ago.
It took them long enough and proper operation still has to be verified independently.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Music rarely is 2W continuous.
Even when pumping out 2W peaks in music the average would be 0.2W or even lower.
Spread this over multiple output devices and the heat won't be a problem.
Only with testing it is.

I would not use it with speakers or run it at full power for long at 16 Ohm because the opamps will be current limiting and there will still be a lot of voltage (with high current) across the opamps which will heat up quite quickly being SMD.
Not suited to drive small speakers.

Devices like this should be used what they are designed for.... Headphones.

While I agree, and won't risk, and don't suggest anyone risk attaching Magni to speakers., the original discrete design of first Magni was based on speaker amp. And I even read some forum posts on trying speakers with it, though, with some protective resistors added. Again - do not do this. U risk both to kill your amp and speakers.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@makmeksam look at all Schiit has accomplished in 2019 I think it is unprecendented. Early next year all upgradeable DACs will have the new Unison USB receiver Bifrost 2 has, which is a big deal. They may still get the Jotunheim R out this month, which I have been waiting for.

Unison is pretty nice but it can only support WASAPI Push (spits out garbled sound with Event mode) but works fine with WASAPI from Tidal and Apple Music. BTW, it does not have ASIO drivers and Schiit doesn't even provide any driver for it since it's compliant with Windows 10's built-in drivers.
Capture.PNG

bravomail

Hugely so. I think people didn't know what proper measurements can look like. Throwing graphs at people with text that often disagreed with them was a disservice to everyone and waste of resources.

The other problem was slow rate/pace of measurements. Would you believe I have tested 167 headphone amplifiers so far? Without that context it is hard to put value on measurements.

Amir. You work really hard. I hope you are getting as much joy in it, as we all, reading your reviews and measurement charts. That's why I said, use Amazon affiliate links and whatever manufacturer affiliate links you can. Also, try engaging some local to you folks, who will be willing to do the same measurements routines for the equipment you have in the pipeline. I strongly believe you should be able to find them. Another avenue of getting some money would be going to Youtube video format for some of the reviews, and get some ad money. Youtube is bees knees.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I think 2020 will be a fantastic year for Schiit. Stay tuned.
Knowing what our audience likes to see in audio products, do you think 2020 will be a fantastic year for us too or just Schiit? :)

bravomail

Thx for review, Amir! Since I own Magni 2, and know it sounds really good, if it was my choice, I'd go with Magni 3+. But lots of folks will probably try Heresy - so I wish people would post some listening impressions. I'm strong believer that both good sound and good measurements should be married in one product.

Update: nevermind. found this https://www.headphones.com/blogs/ne...-heresy-headphone-amplifier-review-comparison Modi3+ for me :)

Last edited:

Ratatoskr

@bravomail there have already been listening impressions posted, just Google it. Here is one and there are others. I usually find Ian Dunmore's impressions useful YMMV.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

ClosDeLaRoche

Thx for review, Amir! Since I own Magni 2, and know it sounds really good, if it was my choice, I'd go with Magni 3+. But lots of folks will probably try Heresy - so I wish people would post some listening impressions. I'm strong believer that both good sound and good measurements should be married in one product.

Update: nevermind. found this https://www.headphones.com/blogs/ne...-heresy-headphone-amplifier-review-comparison Modi3+ for me :)

Do like I did and buy both, try them out, then send one back. Consider reviewers recommendations, both Amir and the author at headphones.com, but it's your money, your ears, your preferences and ultimately your decision. From what I heard, both are fantastic amps so there is little risk of making a bad decision.

Sin Hizer

I see this wouldnt be recommended for use with speakers. Is there something in this performance/price point that can?

T.M.Noble

Audio Company
Knowing what our audience likes to see in audio products, do you think 2020 will be a fantastic year for us too or just Schiit? :)

I think considering the positive responses thus far to both Magni 3+ and Heresy, there is a high likelihood of seeing unique products that would satisfy an audiophile of any disposition. :)

Top Bottom