• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Magni 3+ and Heresy Headphone Amp Reviews

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Will there be an audible difference between listening through iPhone headphone jack and using something like Heresy + modi? Let’s say power is not a concern. If there is a difference what would the difference look like?

Because of average human hearing being unable to reliably hear SINAD below 90 dB, if you are to use a relatively easy to drive headphone like the Sennheiser HD 58X then there would be zero difference in sound under DBT volume matched conditions.

makmeksam

Because of average human hearing being unable to reliably hear SINAD below 90 dB, if you are to use a relatively easy to drive headphone like the Sennheiser HD 58X then there would be zero difference in sound under DBT volume matched conditions.
@amirm do you think the same?
If this is the case, many people even in the budget gear range are wasting money for no reason!

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Why would folks be wasting money on the Magni's ?
$ 99.- for sufficient performance.
Of course this isn't enough for people with better hearing and or higher budgets.
These are convinced much can be gained by throwing more money at it.

SINAD (at 1kHz) is not the ONLY important parameter. Frequency Response, output current and voltage capabilities, output resistance, distortion at higher frequencies, L-R balance at various levels and build quality as well as looks and ergonomics also need to be O.K.

makmeksam

Why would folks be wasting money on the Magni's ?
$ 99.- for sufficient performance.
Of course this isn't enough for people with better hearing and or higher budgets.
These are convinced much can be gained by throwing more money at it.

SINAD (at 1kHz) is not the ONLY important parameter. Frequency Response, output current and voltage capabilities, output resistance, distortion at higher frequencies, L-R balance at various levels and build quality as well as looks and ergonomics also need to be O.K.
Exactly. Adding to that inter modulation distortions, multi tone distortions and distortions at different frequencies and power levels. Cross talk.
Has @amirm or anyone measured the audio performance of day to day devices like iPhones and Macbooks? They will be a very good baseline for many people right?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks Amir, but what is the output voltage and sinad in high gain?
SINAD is the vertical bar on the right in the power graph (just change the sign). For output voltage, use the formula P = V* V/R from any point on that graph. You have Power (P) on the horizontal axis, and R is indicated on the graph (33 or 300 ohms).

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Has @amirm or anyone measured the audio performance of day to day devices like iPhones and Macbooks?
I have measured my HP laptop already (not good). I have a MacBook but too much effort to measure it right now. :) Ditto for iPhone 6. :) :)

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm do you think the same?
If this is the case, many people even in the budget gear range are wasting money for no reason!

It's called scalability. If you're going to upgrade your headphones with 300 Ohm impedance and low dB/mV (aka inefficient) plus headphones with uneven power load as a function of frequency then you'll be futureproofed with the Magni 3+ or Heresy

What I meant earlier is that if you'll just be running headphones within the power rating of both iPhone amp and Magni 3+/Heresy such as the Senn HD 58X then you'd be hard pressed to find a difference in sound quality between the two. Well, if you're running HD 650 or AKG K702 (low dB/mV headphone) then you should hear a difference from DBT volume matched test.

Last edited:

makmeksam

SINAD is the vertical bar on the right in the power graph (just change the sign). For output voltage, use the formula P = V* V/R from any point on that graph. You have Power (P) on the horizontal axis, and R is indicated on the graph (33 or 300 ohms).
This may help when reading graphs. This tool allows you to give two variables you know from {V, I, R, P} and calculate the rest.

Last edited:

makmeksam

What I meant earlier is that if you'll just be running headphones within the power rating of both iPhone amp and Magni 3+/Heresy such as the Senn HD 58X then you'd be hard pressed to find a difference in sound quality between the two. Well, if you're running HD 650 or AKG K702 (low dB/mV headphone) then you should hear a difference from DBT volume matched test.
If you don't hear a difference with with HD 58X you wont hear a difference with HD 650 when the volume is matched assuming both HD58X and HD 650 have the same resolution capabilities don’t you think?

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you don't hear a difference with with HD 58X you wont hear a difference with HD 650 when the volume is matched assuming both HD58X and HD 650 have the same resolution capabilities don’t you think?

I’m not referring to resolution such as macro and micro details in this case. It’s a subjective opinion but I’m referring to musical drive or subjectivist calls it “it doesn’t sound flat or boring when turned up loud or it starts to sound fizzled due to increased distortion from driving closed to max power. HD650 might sound flat at very loud volumes with just on board sound while Magni makes them sound like a night club music at loud volumes

JMB9

The representative from Schiit keeps mentioning how great 2020 will be for them...so my question for you all:
I just got a Modi 3 to replace a Fulla 2 used as a DAC only. Should I just return the Modi 3 and see if they update the line in the near future to join the new Magni amps?

I am planning to buy a Heresy to accompany my Cavalli Tube Hybrid. The CTH sounds great with the HD 6XX (at tubes do, so I will keep it around), but I need something else at my desk that works with my Tin P1s. I'd love a THX amp, but those are a bit beyond the budget of this student!

Last edited:

Labjr

Major Contributor
On paper, the Heresy appears to be as good as everything else near it on the list but doesn't have a balanced output. I wonder if that's coming in 2020?

Ratatoskr

Well, Schiit can't fit the usual balanced connectors on the small Heresy size cases. You need to move up to the larger case used for example on the Jotunheim.

Labjr

Major Contributor
Well, Schiit can't fit the usual balanced connectors on the small Heresy size cases. You need to move up to the larger case used for example on the Jotunheim.
They could probably squeeze it all in there. XLR inputs, 4-pin XLR output, double up the audio circuitry, with a price tag of $149.

MRphotography

Yes we are actually passing the performance in some cases for $99.
But the downside is less power output; although it is really not needed at all with headphones.

What if any headphones would either of these amps struggle to power?

Top Bottom